Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Admiral

Default Should I upgrade?

I am doing a Mexican Riviera cruise next year(on Princess). I have an inside cabin guarantee booked at the moment, but could upgrade to an oceanview or balcony and it still be affordable enough. Is a balcony warranted on a Mexican Riviera cruise, or would an inside or oceanview be sufficient.
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Go for a balcony. You will enjoy it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Admiral

Well, I was asking if it is needed or if it is simply nice, given the destination?
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:03 AM
First Mate

I have done the Mexican Riviera twice, once with an interior and the other an oceanview. In my opinion go for the interior. There was so much to do we spent very little time in our room. Anything you would want to see you can see from on deck, and the money you save could be used towards some of the great excursion they offer. (ATV's in Puerta Vallarta were awesome!)

Golden Princess 9/8/2012
Carnival Elation 11/02/2009
Carnival Pride 04/24/2006
Carnival Pride 05/23/2004
Carnival Elation (I think) 1999
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Admiral

If I book my excursions through Princess. As a travel agent myself, I know where to find the great suppliers so it is mostly a matter of figuring out what to do where. Being that I have a guarantee, there is always the possibility of a free upgrade as well. I do highly recommend the Bon Voyage Experience program to those who have never sailed Princess. You certainly get a taste of Princess(and it does taste good), without having to commit to a cruise. That is why I decided on Princess this time actually. Between the cost of the Bon Voyage Experience as a cruise credit applied to the booking and being thoroughly impressed with the line, it made sense to go with Princess. Given the timing I had available it was either a Mexican Riviera or Eastern Caribbean, and the Mexican Riviera seemed more interesting considering I have previously done a Caribbean(Western last time) cruise, and Caribbean is pretty much offered year round by most lines where Mexico is generally more seasonal for some odd reason(same reason I can't figure out why most lines see Hawaii as a seasonal offering).
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Admiral

I should also mention this will be my second vacation of the year, about 5-6 months apart. The first will be a land based trip to India to visit a very dear friend of mine(and with luck maybe she will become more than a friend) who has invited me to visit her repeatedly. I have decided next year is the appropriate time. Money will be a bit tight but not to the point where I don't have some flexibility.
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Admiral

I would have thought a ''travel agent'' would know the answer?
Old October 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Admiral

I have no experience with with the Mexican Riviera, and when I have no experience with something, I look to others that do, like any sensible person.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
I have no experience with with the Mexican Riviera, and when I have no experience with something, I look to others that do, like any sensible person.
Well, you are a TA so you know what is available & you have been on a cruise so you know what the cabins are like, I haven't been to Mexico either but I imagine its just like the Caribbean....Personally I would have a balcony on any cruise where I could open the door that lasted more than a couple of days.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Admiral

I know what is available but am trying to get thoughts to help me make a personal decision. There is a difference between knowing availability and making a decision for oneself. Working with clients is far easier than making my own decisions, as I do not have predefined preferences like many of them do. You really need to understand it from this perspective rather than looking at it from the perspective that I am a travel professional(which does help, but only to an extent).
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Yes, I suppose you get clients that know what they want, few know nothing these days. Go with your gut feeling I reckon, put it like this, you are unlikely to regret having a balcony but you may regret not having one. Always good to have somewhere to go that is private, somewhere to have that first coffee of the day.
Old October 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Well, it is true that it would be nice to have a place to just sit and watch the scenery. I know inside cabins are my last choice due to motion sickness(I get sea sick for some odd reason, but never get any other kind of motion sickness.....may just need to get my sea legs). I did consider getting a mini-suite or suite but I will not do that unless I knew I had a way to afford it. I like having my space. If I am unable to find a cabin mate though, I will have to be a lot more careful with my money so I have to think about that as well. I am always welcome to suggestions but please do watch the tone.
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Admiral

TONE? ...solve your own problems. I'm off.
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

What do you mean by "Bon Voyage Experience?"
The next step up from an inside room is an obstructed view exterior w/o a balcony. I had one on Princess on my last cruise which I did alone. It was a good price and was perfectly fine. You could see everything if you looked out, you just couldnt see down if you got right up to the window. This might be a good alternative for you if you need to travel alone.
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Admiral

@Golden1: New program Princess has which allows you to go on board the ship for embarkation day as a visitor for the day. Includes a free photo and lunch and the cost, as well as a tour if you want, can be applied to a cruise booked within 90 days after. I did it on the Caribbean Princess and thoroughly enjoyed it. Only 50 slots per ship though, and you do get on board earlier than the guests(or if you are a guest bringing someone on earlier than the other guests).