Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs down AVOID port shopping in COZUMEL

I was in Cozumel on 10/24/2013 with the Disney Wonder. We did very little shopping. We read on our cruise newsletter that vendors in port are limited by Mexican Gov't as to how many US Dollars they can deposit into an account which is why most vendors only accept credit cards.

In one store, all we bought was a $10.00 T-Shirt. As I was paying for it, they did a bait and switch. Had me sign a receipt for $100.00 without me noticing and handed me the receipt for $10.00. It was not till I was back in the US that I noticed the charge on my online banking tool. Now I get to try and have this corrected and have to hassle because of dishonest crooks.

Shopping in Mexico in general is a pain. Most stuff is tacky, not realy quality merchandise and the store employees are very pushy and try to basically drag you into their store by your hair. The male clerks linger around outside the stores and are rude, inappropriate and lust over any female that walks by. Even though I was with my husband and toddler, they still whistled and made comments. NEVER going back to Mexico!
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sorry for your misfortune, that totally stinks. For me, when buying a $10 t-shirt, they will either take my US dollars or no sale... I have always heard they gladly accept the US dollar, has that changed?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 30th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I'm not going to be as kind. You are sorely misinformed on all your comments. They would have gladly taken cash.

The receipt is probably for $100 pesos since their bank charge account would NOT be in US dollars. It will be less that $10 when you get the statement.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old October 30th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Just one posting to complain.

But it's always 'buyer beware' anywhere you go and what happened to you can happen in any place around the world. So to say never going to Mexico again is a total disservice to the wonderful people of Mexico.

We've been there dozens of times and use to spend 2 to 3 weeks there every year on vacation when we lived in New Mexico and never had any problems. In fact, just the opposite; the people were wonderful, the food was awesome, the scuba diving amazing, the golf spectacular, and the overall experience was always incredible. Yes, there are places you don't want to go as you'll be looking for problems, but the same can be said about many cities in the U.S., including Washington, DC!

It's like I always tell people, going to Tijuana and saying it represents all of Mexico is about as fair as going to the worst part of Los Angeles and saying that represents all of the U.S.

Sorry you had a problem as I know it spoiled what was probably a wonderful cruise, but then again, you do have to take some responsibility for what happened. But to blame an entire country for one mishap in one store or to say you want to avoid an entire country for your experience in one place is totally unfair. And to join a forum for the sole purpose of posting one complaint is equally as unfair.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:25 AM
Admiral

Strange post. We've shopped in Mexico and got a discount for using cash instead of a cc.
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:38 AM
Admiral

We have shopped in several ports in Mexico and never had any problems at all.
Sometimes we paid in cash and other times we used a credit card. The people that we en countered have been friendly and our experiences in our Mexican travels have been positive.

TMi
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I am NOT misinformed. I was told by several stores they will not take US Dollars because of the limit set forth by the Mexican gov't as to how many US dollars they are allowed to deposit into their merchant accounts. The Cruise line even informed us of this.
AND, I am able to read my receipt, which clearly shows 125 Mexican Peso, but they charged 1250 Peso, which is $100 US dollars instead of $10.
The fraud department of my credit card would hardly investigate if the receipt showed the correct amounts charged and saw that they tried to run my card about 7 more times in the days following.
Please keep your remarks to yourself if you did not have the same experiences. You hardly know my situation. And, FYI, based on the BBB which deals with overseas claims and the fraud department of the credit card company, Cozumel is one of the biggest problems they deal with because of fraudulant activities.
Please check your sources, the US consulate in Mexico has a site specifically explaining that most stores WILL NOT TAKE US DOLLARS IN CASH.
<edited to remove inappropriate comment>

Last edited by Dave Beers; November 6th, 2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Remove inappropriate comment
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

IF YOU WOULD HAVE read my post you can see that i checked my bank statement, NOT MY RECEIPT.
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

***edited**** everyone on my ship talked about the inappropriate behavior in port toward women at dinner that night. I was not speaking for all of Mexico, I clearly said where I was and where I will not stop again. From other posts on here, Mexico is no longer a stop I want to make. Been all over the world and Mexico was one of the least favorite. This includes Europe and Africa and Australia. So, I am glad you have done a million cruises and have never been anywhere but in port somewhere. Get a life...! Posting here that I was just complaining to complain without real reason indicates that you need to find a new hobby. I was sharing my information, giving tips... just like people are supposed to on here. ***edited***

Last edited by Trip; November 6th, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

While we do encourage posts that are your own opinion, good or bad, our TOS does not allow any name calling or bashing of any other poster that you may not agree with. As long as you play nicely and follow the rules, posts will be welcome here.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Familiar Face

It is unfortunate you had a bad experience in Mexico but that there may be one criminal in Mexico does not mean all Mexicans are criminals. Are there no criminals in the USA? That does not mean all Americans are criminals.

As to acceptance of dollars have never had any problem with paying in dollars in Mexico. In fact some hotels quote in dollars due to it being a more stable currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laney80 View Post
I was in Cozumel on 10/24/2013 with the Disney Wonder. We did very little shopping. We read on our cruise newsletter that vendors in port are limited by Mexican Gov't as to how many US Dollars they can deposit into an account which is why most vendors only accept credit cards.

In one store, all we bought was a $10.00 T-Shirt. As I was paying for it, they did a bait and switch. Had me sign a receipt for $100.00 without me noticing and handed me the receipt for $10.00. It was not till I was back in the US that I noticed the charge on my online banking tool. Now I get to try and have this corrected and have to hassle because of dishonest crooks.

Shopping in Mexico in general is a pain. Most stuff is tacky, not realy quality merchandise and the store employees are very pushy and try to basically drag you into their store by your hair. The male clerks linger around outside the stores and are rude, inappropriate and lust over any female that walks by. Even though I was with my husband and toddler, they still whistled and made comments. NEVER going back to Mexico!