Hi all...hopefully we can get some of these past questions answered that would be helpful for upcoming travelers. We are the family of four cruising MSC Opera in Febraury thru West Indies, Dominican....have so many questions:
1. I see from past postings there are questions regarding drink packages? Are they available on MSC Opera? If so, what's included...alcohol/no alcohol...sodas/no sodas? Is there such a thing as "open bar card?"
2. Can you bring wine onboard? If so, is there a corking fee...how much?
3. What kind of electrical outlets are onboard...we're in the good ol' US so will we need adapter on Italian ship?
4. No ship excursions for us...any suggestions for unique/interesting/fun excursions to take outside of booking them thru MSC.
5. Renting cars at ports...any recommendations -- we've done this on other vacations (Cozomel, Playa) and loved it...?
6. Any zip line tours in San Juan, St. Maaten, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Tortola, Samana? Or any special excursion suggestions?
7. Food...we love lobster/crab/shrimp/clams/oysters and all shellfish...see lots of fish - but how often is there shellfish offered?
8. Midnight buffet - is it worth staying awake for?
Those are great questions, I wish someone would reply since we're going on the same cruise and have never sailed with MSC before. I'm also wondering if you can brink alcohol in your luggage, or take duty-free purchased on board back to your cabin.
Legend of the Seas 9/03
Celebrity Infinity 5/04
CCL Legend 9/04
CCL Pride 2/05
RCI Radiance 8/05
Dawn Princess 5/06
CCL Liberty 9/06
Norwegian Sun 9/06
MSC Opera 2/07
CCL Liberty 4/07
Caribbean Princess 10/07
Celebrity Galaxy 3/08
Explorer of the Seas 5/08
Mariner of the Seas 3/09
CCL Splendor 5/09
NCL Sun 8/09
Pacific Princess 9/09
Pacific Princess 11/09
Oasis of the Seas 11/09
Cunard Queen Mary 2 4/10
Celebrity Millennium 9/10
Allure of the Seas 2/11
HAL Zaandam 5/11
Allure of the Seas 3/12
Some answers, of course we were on the Lirica but the Opera should have prteey much the same.
1. they had a soda deal of pay for 10 get 14, don't really know about the alcohol as we really don't drink while cruising.
2.Not really sure as we didn't try to bring any wine on board.
3. No adapters needed, but there are not a lot of outlets.
4. On St Lucia and Tortola we just got a taxi outside the terminal for about $30 pp for a 4 to 5 hour tour. We saw sites that the MSC tours didn't and still had time for some shopping after. They have people at the terminal that set you up. In St Lucia you needed at least 4 people for that price. In Tortola is was an open air bus with about 20 people. Both had stops for photo ops/small shopping. In Barbados, we got a taxi to Malibu beach, entrance to the beach was $5pp and for $5 more got a tour of the distalliery with samples after. The $5 is good for the day and you can arrang ewith the taxi driver for him to come back for you at a certain time. You can arrange for a tour of the island at the terminal. Went on MSC tours at other ports.
5. No idea.
6. Not sure. But in St Lucia it was a nice tour to the volcano, you can get a taxi that will take you there and wait if you want to bath in the spring or the sulphur bath.
7.Shell fish is ususlly in the app's at dinner. Only one night did they have shrimp cocktail and lobester.
8. Midnight buffet is different every night, A couple of nights they are passed hor derves in the lounges and casino. One night it includes a tour of the galley.
I hope this helps.
Over all we enjoyed the cruise, it definitely was different from what we are used too.
Hope you enjoy your cruise with MSC>
Caribbean Trip Reports
Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014, MSC Divina Oct 2014
We are going on the OPERA 3/10 and fine low activity on this site re. MSC. I have been following cruise critics, a little better re. info. I do appreciate what you just provided for me. Take a look at cruise critics and also www.virtual tourists.com.