Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > MSC Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Beginner

Default has anyone actually ever changed the auto tip amount?

Just wondering as many people have complained about service when any of the MSC ships come over to US market. Seems to me if people are that upset with service thats what should be done.
I for one am traveling for the first time on MSC in 2 weeks and simply asked the question whats involved with adding or decreasing auto tips and yet to ever get an answer except for adding in cash and keeping the auto tips as is from the start, which doesn't really answer the question specifically asked. However with so many complaints I can't understand why so many people complain and keep the $84 per person tip for staff that didn't do decent work.
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Beginner

Default oh well I guess....

I'll be the first in MSC history to do so if service is bad which I doubt but we shall see. I'm also not planning on running around the ship the final day with envelopes. I'll just increase or decrease as service is provided more likely increase cause I always have lower expectations than most so I'm really easy to please give me a non alcoholic drink and a nice place to sit and I'm happy.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Captain

In our experience with MSC you only need to go to the purser's desk to change the tip amounts either up or down. We did make some alterations to our tips and it was not a problem at all. And interestingly, the very next day we received a letter that expressed concern that we might not be having as good of a time as we had hoped. The issue that we had raised with our waiter was fixed that day. The maitre'd had us at a new nicer table with top notch wait staff by our very next meal. I wish we'd complained to him first rather than just adjusting for the lousy service. The last 12 days were wonderful in the dining room.

We are also platinum with Carnival and we have adjusted our tips there both up and down as well. They have lousy follow-up and no one seems to care that you adjusted the tips especially for bad service. You just go to the purser's desk and they give you a piece of paper and you fill in the new amounts.

As a rule we tip. It's just what is expected but in return I do expect decent service. We don't penalize service people for issues that are beyond their control but we don't reward them for service that sucks and is within their control either.

Good luck!