Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > MSC Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Familiar Face

Default Orchestra 01/24/09 comments

As a travel agent with 57 cruises, I feel qualified to comment. While it is impossible to please all, I will give you my feelings on MSC. We sailed the Lirica in 2005 and loved it. Cabins are small, even for 2, but every other aspect was excellent. I have sold many cabins on MSC, and raved over the line. I just sailed the Orchestra, and would not recommend this line to anyone. As an agent, I have a duty to tell the truth, not just to agree that every ship and every cruise is fantastic. We had a Category 11, Luxury Balcony. The room was small for 2, let alone 4 or 5. Children love movies, especially on a cruise. Movies cost $10.70 each. So if you really want to pay that to see The 40 year old Virgin, Wall-E, and other old movies, you will love MSC. The bath comes with no washcloths, and the room stewert is invisible until the second day, no matter how many times you call for him. Room service is a joke. If you misplace a single sheet of info ion the 1st day with all the papers given,you have no idea you can get sandwiches. A club sandwich is a turkey club only,and when you order one you get a half a one. But you can BUY many items on room service. When you get on board, their is no free glass of bubbly for repeat cruisers as mentioned in the info. The balcony glass and the entire balcony is coated in salt. It will be cleaned halfway throught the cruise, though. And toward the end of the cruise you are given an info sheet telling you that if you bought any wicker items, they won't be allowed back into the states. Give that info on the 1st day, please! Dinner was a big joke. Lousy service, lukewarm food. We ate at the 4 Seasons speciality restaurant for 5 days. It was the best thing on the ship, but at $25 a person, can add up. But it was worth it. Avoid the Chinese restaurant, I would not eat there again even if free. You pay per item, and will pay $30-40 per person easily. The 1st night we had a very large table of Italians that shouted, laughed at the top of their lungs, even had the wait staff giving them ugly looks. And, to top it off, they started smoking at the table, and nothing was said to them. There is no free ice cream anywhere, and when the kids want ice cream it is $1.50 a cone. Great ice cream, but start adding. And pizza is offered only at night for free, so during the day you can purchase it! For such a large ship, there are too few shops onboard. But the best thing, or worst, depending on your view, you can buy liquor off ship and bring it back to the room and drink it there. You love Coca Cola but not Pepsi? Only Pepsi is sold, at @2.50 a small glass. No soft drink cards. I was really looking forward to their private island, as the other lines have great ones. We finally got off ship at noon, had to be back onboard for 3. And NOTHING is free on the private island. Food, drinks all cost a very high price. And if having 1000 chairs for 3000 people is your idea of fun, you will enjoy it. If you get up to take a dip in the water, your chair will be gone when you return. People will dump your belongings and take your chair, nobody will stop them. We found all ports had a very short stay. Better planning by the cruise line is needed here. I could go on and on.... but you get the picture. Oh, I almost forgot. Of the 3 main elevators midship, 1 was out of service the whole cruise. And for free fun, you can push a button, watch the other 2 elevators pass your floor 6 times before stopping. Enjoy! I forgot to add about smoking. It is allowed in the cabins, but not on the balcony. Yet everyone who smokes does it on the balcony. Get used to the smell in all the hallways! Just remembered! We sailed with 3 other travel agent, and we all got a special invitation to a private cocktail party for a group sailing onboard. We all show up, and are told halfway throught he party we were given the invite by mistake, and their own members were not given invites. Along with the invite were 2 tickets to an excursion in Key West. We all thougth it was a freebee from MSC. I was hesitant to go, and tupon arriving in Key West, looked at my room bill. We were being charged for the excursion. It took 5 days to get a credit after returning the tickets. They said we were charged in error. I believe this is their way of selling, as one of the other travel agent couples went on the excursion, thinking it was free, and did not get a credit, as they went.
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Captain

David, let me first start by saying that I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your cruise. It is not a nice experience to have planned for a length of time and build up the excitement to have it come crashing down around you. In all the cruises we have taken we have had a couple like that for us as well and it is disappointing.

I have some comments on some of your feedback that I'd like to share. Some where we agree completely and some where we don't. I noted things pretty much in the order that you gave them above.

I could not agree more about the size of the cabins. They are small. We were four in an inside for 17 nights on a T.A. in December. We weren't miserable by any stretch but there were lots of comparisons to our prior carnival cruises.

The price of the movies is expensive but to qualify that we have to say by what standard? I recently stayed at a Marriott where my youngest child ordered a movie (that we already OWN) while I was in the shower. It was $10 US at the exchange it was $12.38. We all pay more to have a movie on demand regardless of which cruise line you are on. Similar complaints can be made at hotels, and other establishments and if memory serves me correct even on other cruiselines.

For what it matters the room service does suck on the Orchestra But it is consistent, consistently bad every day, regardless of the time of day or what you order.

As for customs regulations, I don't really need my cruiseline to tell me what I can and cannot import and export. It is my opinion as well as the legal standard that it is the responsibility of an individual to ensure that they are in compliance with customs regulations at ports of call and at the final destinations. Is it nice if the cruise line gives out this information, yes it is. Would I be ticked that they didn't, no not really.

We didn't have real issues with the food on the Orchestra. Some of the North American selections weren't up to par but for the most part the food was really good. The pricing for the specialty restaurants on MSC is consistent with the prices on Carnival in their supper clubs and I expect on the others as well.

The smoking on the Orchestra is a serious issue. In fact it is the one and only issue that may be a deal breaker for my family and whether or not they cruise on that ship again. I couldn't agree more that the smoke is everywhere and there is no escape. This has to be addressed.

Ice cream? Well, we personally had free icecream every day in the dining room. The kids were in heaven. We did buy ice cream a couple of days and didn't really care about the small cost. It's similar to what we pay at home and the ice cream is incredible on the Orcestra. When we look at some folks (not you in this case) and they are complaining about paying $1.50 for an icecream but they are holding an $8.00 alcoholic beverage, we just shake our heads. It's a buck and a half, for us it's a yeah, whatever. But funny enough we didn't like to pay for pizza in the afternoon! I guess that's the Carnival cruisers in us, way too spoiled.

Sorry that your shore excursions really did seem to suck. I don't have any comments. We did a completely different itinerary and enjoyed long full days in all of our ports of call and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I hope that your experience will not be the norm for MSC as they try very hard to make their way in a new market.

Cheers,
Michelle
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Familiar Face

Michelle
I totally agree with you on many points.

Would I pay $10.70 for a movie? No. Would others, maybe. But let kids be kids, charge 2 - 3 movies a day, times 7..... Just letting others know what to expect.

As a travel agent, I know about the customs, and inform my customers accordingly. But do all travel agencies, or online super websites, or, even the cruise lines? I don't think so. Again, just opening eyes here.

Ice cream in the dining room, yes. But for so many that do the buffet, and when the urge strikes at 3pm.... Even though most spend more when on a vacation, a lot of folks have to watch spending more these days.

I also left out a lot more, as in forgetting. I will add to my original post here:

And everyone we asked how they liked the cruise so far, we got ugly looks, nasty comments. etc.

And if you go on a baseball cruise, as we did, and you need a baseball, no problem, they sell them onboard for $14.

And I have been known to send a birthday cake to unsuspecting others, they used to be free. RCCL charges about $8 for a small cake, bujt you can get the same small cake on MSC for $45. But they sing for free.......

Just remembered about service. On many occasions I and the wife, or Doug (travel agent) and his wife, went tho the louge for a cocktail. We would be the only ones in there, and the 3 hostesses and bartender talked together, ignoring us. Doug went to the bar, and could not get their attention for quite some time. And Doug is very mild mannered, quiet, not like me.... And it wasn't just us being ignored. Other couples would come by, sit, wait, get up, leave. I just remembered, I need to add it to my report.

Everyone at the table ordered escargot for an appetizer. We loved RCCL and other ships escargot, 5 in a pool of garlic butter. What we received were 2-3 pieces of escargot swimming in a heavy brown sauce filled with mushrooms.

And at the Shangai Chinese speciality restaurant, my tablemates ordered the peking duck. Expecting a leg or a quarter of duck, they received 4 tiny pieces of duck in a bed of rice. I ordered a 'tang combo', for $25, was told it was 16 different items, and would be hard to eat it all by he wife and I. It was 16 small appetizers, 8 each, on a single plate. The 'corn crab soup had 2 pieces of corn and just the flavor of crab, no crab meat, for $5.50.

I may seem to be picky, but until I win the powerball and can throw away money, I will expect value received for money spent, and I don't feel MSC delivers such a product.

I almost forgot, well, I did forget, but I remembered when I looked at my receipts. All I drank at the lounges were shots of Jack Daniels. They cost $ 6.90. A Jack and water, or on the rocks, with the same amount of Jack, was $4.95. Go figure.

On a final (hopefully) note, the one souvenir I enjoy is my stack of past key cards. MSC now picks up the cards as you leave the ship. Maybe its best I don't remember this cruise.

It was very difficult to write this review. Rick Sasso is trying hard to make this a positive experience, but as much as I enjoyed the Lirica, this was a true 180 degree turn in service, food, activities, etc. The food would have been acceptable had it been hot. It would arrive lukewarm, and if you asked for a hot serving, it took over 30 minutes to arrive, lukewarm again.

A tip, should you go. The coffee is so strong, spoons kept disappearing in the coffee. Order room service, 2 coffees, you get a pot. But also order 2 hot chocolates, and you get a pot of steaming hot milk and 2 packages of instant chocolate. Mix the coffee and hot milk half and half, and you have drinkable coffee, not weak at all.

The ship is very clean, but stuffy. And the 3 main elevators, with only 2 working, hold 8 people each. When full, they skip other floors, so you wait forever for an elevator.

On a positive note, this ship sails at 7pm. I flew on a later flight nonstop from New Orleans, arriving at 2:40. Woke up at a normal hour, not rushed to airport, Non eventful flight. Got a taxi to port, arrived at 3:15. Only a handful of guests checking in, was on ship at 3:35. Luggage arrived by 4pm, very fast. A bowl of fresh fruit was waiting in the room.

And though the bathroom is small, there is ample room around the toilet. The shower stall is huge, as long as you don't close the shower curtain. I was able to sit on the toilet while bathing, or use the toilet seat to reach my toes. Whenever we left the room, it was cleaned very quickly.
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Captain

That was quick David, hopefully not because I irritated you

I love these forums for the opportunity to pass along information and the equal opportunity to accumulate it. It is amazing that what is a big deal to one is a yeah, whatever to another. I try to post lots of information, like you so that people will have every opportunity to decide for themselves whether or not they want to cruise a particular ship or line. The extra benefit is that maybe MSC will be reading some of these comments and make the changes that will be necessary to survive in the North American market.

Others on our particular cruise experienced similar bar service to what you indicated, I however, don't have any experience with this because my husband and I are non drinkers. We had good room steward service and our soda's were always iced and our room steward was even kind enough to leave us a note in advance of the next port if he was aware of a shop close to the pier where we could replenish our supply for a good price.

The fruit bowl on arrival is a nice touch, the refills were appreciated. We too had great luggage service ALL of our luggage was in our cabin when we got to it, not in the hallway, but IN our cabin. This I like.

Glad to hear that your shower stall was huge, this must be a perk of the suite, the inside cabin's shower was not huge. Our youngest has long, long hair and I frequently help her wash it, it was very awkward with the size of the bathroom in our cabin.

My husband, who complains about the coffee on most cruise lines & at all inclusives, actually liked the coffee on MSC. I was offended not just by the look of it but also by the smell. EEEEEWWW. The girls and I stuck to hot chocolate which was the best of any line we've cruised.

The temperature of the food is probably a fair comment. For me I don't pay much attention. I think from all the years of being a mom, I really wouldn't know what to do with a really hot plate of food anyway. We did notice though on a couple of occassions that the risotto was very hot even when other things on the plate were warm. This irritated my youngest who doesn't eat meat. The risotto was one of her favorite things and she always had to wait for it to cool.

I don't think you're picky. I too look for value. While others on some of the boards book what they want when they want, I work very hard for my money and I look for the best bang for my buck. The difference between you and I is that my family of four spent 17 days on a cruise for roughly $2500 and at roughly $35 per person per day, we have excellent value even with the bumps along the road.

I hope that Mr. Sasso can achieve his goals but you and I agree he does have some of his work cut out for him. But I wish him the very best. The ship is gorgeous and it has so much potential to be an incredible cruise line with an authentic italian flavor. We looked for that in Costa and they fell so short of our expectations that we've never been back. The potential is in MSC and more specifically in the Orchestra.
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Familiar Face

Michelle

No, you didn't irritate me. I just happened to be on the computer and had some free time to answer.

I have almost stopped drinking totally, but with 3 back surgeries, I occasionally take a shot of something at night to help with the pain.

As we waited for the bananas to ripen, as green is not to our liking, as soon as they get eatable, they were replaced with green ones. Our steward never understood our requests to leave the yellow ones.....

I did get a smile, a chuckle. I didnt have a suite, just an oversized balcony. And my bathroom was the same size as yours. At 6'6", 360 pounds, I could never take a shower with the curtain closed. So I did it with the curtain open. I do that on most all the cruises. (Smile)

We did enjoy the hot chocolate, so we ordered coffee 4 times a day, and now have over 50 packets of hot chocolate mix for our super cold (45 degree) winters. We live 60 miles southwest of New Orleans, 15 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

And I read another review where the waiters brought a bowl of salad dressing when a bowl of soup was ordered. Everytime we ordered grits for breakfast we got oatmeal. The one night we ate in the dining room, we both asked for blue cheese dressing, the waiter smiled and said yes. The sald came with ranch dressing, with the explanation that was all they had.

Amazingly, we loved Costa, but that was before Carnival bought them. Same with Holland.

David
Old February 13th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Orchestra 01/24/09 comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomogg
As a travel agent with 57 cruises, I feel qualified to comment. While it is impossible to please all, I will give you my feelings on MSC. We sailed the Lirica in 2005 and loved it. Cabins are small, even for 2, but every other aspect was excellent. I have sold many cabins on MSC, and raved over the line. I just sailed the Orchestra, and would not recommend this line to anyone. As an agent, I have a duty to tell the truth, not just to agree that every ship and every cruise is fantastic. We had a Category 11, Luxury Balcony. The room was small for 2, let alone 4 or 5. Children love movies, especially on a cruise. Movies cost $10.70 each. So if you really want to pay that to see The 40 year old Virgin, Wall-E, and other old movies, you will love MSC. The bath comes with no washcloths, and the room stewert is invisible until the second day, no matter how many times you call for him. Room service is a joke. If you misplace a single sheet of info ion the 1st day with all the papers given,you have no idea you can get sandwiches. A club sandwich is a turkey club only,and when you order one you get a half a one. But you can BUY many items on room service. When you get on board, their is no free glass of bubbly for repeat cruisers as mentioned in the info. The balcony glass and the entire balcony is coated in salt. It will be cleaned halfway throught the cruise, though. And toward the end of the cruise you are given an info sheet telling you that if you bought any wicker items, they won't be allowed back into the states. Give that info on the 1st day, please! Dinner was a big joke. Lousy service, lukewarm food. We ate at the 4 Seasons speciality restaurant for 5 days. It was the best thing on the ship, but at $25 a person, can add up. But it was worth it. Avoid the Chinese restaurant, I would not eat there again even if free. You pay per item, and will pay $30-40 per person easily. The 1st night we had a very large table of Italians that shouted, laughed at the top of their lungs, even had the wait staff giving them ugly looks. And, to top it off, they started smoking at the table, and nothing was said to them. There is no free ice cream anywhere, and when the kids want ice cream it is $1.50 a cone. Great ice cream, but start adding. And pizza is offered only at night for free, so during the day you can purchase it! For such a large ship, there are too few shops onboard. But the best thing, or worst, depending on your view, you can buy liquor off ship and bring it back to the room and drink it there. You love Coca Cola but not Pepsi? Only Pepsi is sold, at @2.50 a small glass. No soft drink cards. I was really looking forward to their private island, as the other lines have great ones. We finally got off ship at noon, had to be back onboard for 3. And NOTHING is free on the private island. Food, drinks all cost a very high price. And if having 1000 chairs for 3000 people is your idea of fun, you will enjoy it. If you get up to take a dip in the water, your chair will be gone when you return. People will dump your belongings and take your chair, nobody will stop them. We found all ports had a very short stay. Better planning by the cruise line is needed here. I could go on and on.... but you get the picture. Oh, I almost forgot. Of the 3 main elevators midship, 1 was out of service the whole cruise. And for free fun, you can push a button, watch the other 2 elevators pass your floor 6 times before stopping. Enjoy! I forgot to add about smoking. It is allowed in the cabins, but not on the balcony. Yet everyone who smokes does it on the balcony. Get used to the smell in all the hallways! Just remembered! We sailed with 3 other travel agent, and we all got a special invitation to a private cocktail party for a group sailing onboard. We all show up, and are told halfway throught he party we were given the invite by mistake, and their own members were not given invites. Along with the invite were 2 tickets to an excursion in Key West. We all thougth it was a freebee from MSC. I was hesitant to go, and tupon arriving in Key West, looked at my room bill. We were being charged for the excursion. It took 5 days to get a credit after returning the tickets. They said we were charged in error. I believe this is their way of selling, as one of the other travel agent couples went on the excursion, thinking it was free, and did not get a credit, as they went.
We are travelling in may on transatlantic 20days i am deeply concernced can you offer any advise will we bring our own snacks, drinks, movies, games etc. please advise
Old February 13th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Captain

Eilleen are you travelling with kids or just adults?

A few recommendations, unless you ask for more:

-Pack your own soda's, they do add up if you are buying on the ship.
-Bring snack food such as potato chips, etc if these are things that you can't live with out.
-There were some board games available, but we were glad we brought others with us.
-We had no problems finding partners to play cards and there are lots of places to play, unlike Carnival though, decks of cards are not available for free at the purser's desk.

BTW we loved the transatlantic crossing and will definitely do another. I'm not sure when or which line but we sure enjoyed ourselves. MSC's European ports sound like they were better value than what poor David had on his Caribbean.

Good Luck
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Beginner

we are travelling without children, just myself and my husband. on a twenty day cruise we hear the food is not to good, we thought we bring some snacks, and soft drinks, we definately will bring our laptop and some movies.. they are old and expensive... I have read on board, we are going to make the most of it. We are too late to cancel we have read the reviews and they are not complimentry. !!!!! Some even read like horror cruises.. This is our third cruise, some people think it a cheapline but we have paid $5000.00 for the two of us, the other cruises we have been have been around the same price and were brillant in every sense of the word. Thanks for your advise any thing else you could suggest.. It is our 31st wedding anniversity. and I am kind of dreading the decision of going on MSC but as i say its too late to cancel..

Thank you again.

Eilleen
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilleen Donaghey
we are travelling without children, just myself and my husband. on a twenty day cruise we hear the food is not to good, we thought we bring some snacks, and soft drinks, we definately will bring our laptop and some movies.. they are old and expensive... I have read on board, we are going to make the most of it. We are too late to cancel we have read the reviews and they are not complimentry. !!!!! Some even read like horror cruises.. This is our third cruise, some people think it a cheapline but we have paid $5000.00 for the two of us, the other cruises we have been have been around the same price and were brillant in every sense of the word. Thanks for your advise any thing else you could suggest.. It is our 31st wedding anniversity. and I am kind of dreading the decision of going on MSC but as i say its too late to cancel..

Thank you again.

Please don't dread your cruise. Take the knowledge that you have accumulated from reading and be prepared but don't let it ruin your cruise nor your anniversary. Remember that people who have negative to say always speak louder and more frequently than those with positive, it's just human nature. Our family had a very good cruise, smoke aside. We enjoyed the food and were never ever hungry. We brought the things that we couldn't live without, ie. teenager's chips and younger daughters Kashi Go Lean. The room service isn't great but we had no troubles obtaining food in any quantity during the normal meal times. There is a lot of good to MSC and a lot of good about the Orchestra, it's just sometimes overshadowed by the bad. BTW, we watched some TV and it was fine, we don't cruise to watch movies, there were lots of other things going on, some that we enjoyed some we didn't but no shortage of bits and pieces, I personally don't think we spent more than a couple of hours a day in our cabin aside from sleeping. Have a great cruise, an open mind will help : )

Eilleen
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilleen Donaghey

Thank you again.

Please don't dread your cruise. Take the knowledge that you have accumulated from reading and be prepared but don't let it ruin your cruise nor your anniversary. Remember that people who have negative to say always speak louder and more frequently than those with positive, it's just human nature. Our family had a very good cruise, smoke aside. We enjoyed the food and were never ever hungry. We brought the things that we couldn't live without, ie. teenager's chips and younger daughters Kashi Go Lean. The room service isn't great but we had no troubles obtaining food in any quantity during the normal meal times. There is a lot of good to MSC and a lot of good about the Orchestra, it's just sometimes overshadowed by the bad. BTW, we watched some TV and it was fine, we don't cruise to watch movies, there were lots of other things going on, some that we enjoyed some we didn't but no shortage of bits and pieces, I personally don't think we spent more than a couple of hours a day in our cabin aside from sleeping. Have a great cruise, an open mind will help : )

Eilleen
I forgot to say the $5000.00 doesnt include fllight from Australia we got our own air fares. Yes I will now stop looking at the reviews, and hopefully I will be able to write a more positive review upon my return.
Thanks again.

Eilleen