Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > MSC Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Familiar Face

Default MSC Melody fires on Pirates!!

Italy Cruise Ship Fires on Somali Pirates
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517955,00.html ^

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 5:03:38 AM by Jonny foreigner

ROME — An Italian cruise ship fended off a pirate attack off the coast of Somalia, with its security forces exchanging fire with the bandits, the commander said Saturday.

Cmdr. Ciro Pinto told Italian state radio that six men in a small white boat approached the Msc Melody and opened fire Saturday night, but retreated after security forces aboard the cruise ship returned fire.

Domenico Pellegrino, head of the ship-owner Msc Cruises, told ANSA news agency that all 1,500 passengers and crew aboard the Melody were safe, and credited Pinto for his "cool-headed" handling of the incident.

The attack occurred about 180 miles north of the Seychelles. The ship was on a 22-day cruise from Durban, South Africa, to Genoa, Italy.

ANSA said the ship was now headed as scheduled to the Jordanian port of Aqaba.

Pirates have attacked more than 100 ships off the Somali coast over the last year, reaping an estimated $1 million in ransom for each successful hijacking, according to analysts and country experts.

Another Italian-owned vessel remains in the hands of pirates. The Italian-flagged tugboat Buccaneer was seized off Somalia on April 11 with 16 crew members aboard.
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Captain

As a rule I am not the type to advocate any sort of violence. However, the situation with these pirates and their recurring examples of pure terrorism make me think that it is high time more ships start fighting back. Kudos to the Capt and his crew. I don't think it would take many dead pirates for them to reconsider attacking ships. Enough is enough.

It is wonderful to see that there were no injuries or fatalities for the passengers or crew of the ship.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Familiar Face

This was indeed a treacherous act by a gang of armed thugs. The fact that these pirates are now attacking a large cruise ship this far from land is most unsettling indeed. I personally would not travel that part of the open sea until this matter is resolved through an international joint effort.

As an aside, I did find it more than amusing to read that MSC only days before the incident was advertising a balcony blowout sale. Talk about bad timing.
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Yeoman

Since there are no balconys on MSC Melody, I don't think that the timing was so bad!
Old May 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Awesome!!! With 1,500 people on board it's worth fighting back...