CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   MSC Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/msc-cruises/)
-   -   MSC yacht club questions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/msc-cruises/391850-msc-yacht-club-questions.html)

JeanW September 15th, 2012 01:46 AM

MSC yacht club questions

Hi, has anyone here tried the MSC "Yacht Club"? I'm considering a Med cruise and the cruise agent recommended it as the best option for our family - we want some peace and quiet, but plenty of things to do and people to meet for our young adult children.

In particular, I'm wondering about the following:
- is the yacht club restaurant the default dining option for yacht club passengers (instead of the main dining room) or is it more like a specialty restaurant? Is it the same food as the main dining room or one of the other restaurants, and is the quality or service any better?
- what are the breakfast options in the yacht club restaurant? We don't eat wheat so we need a cooked breakfast, continental is no good to us.
- does the yacht club bar/lounge have real coffee? Would they get in lactose-free milk for me if they don't usually stock it?
- what are the smoking areas in the Yacht Club section of the ship? The website just says "some" bars allow smoking. Does that include the yacht club bar? It's a nice panorama lounge that I would want to use, so I'd be really annoyed if I found it unusable due to cigarette smoke! How about around the yacht club pool and sunbathing space?
- will they guarantee me a non-smoking cabin? I don't want a cabin that has been used by a smoker. What happens if I've requested a non-smoking cabin and then find when we board that it smells of stale smoke?
- I get seasick very easily. Is it likely to be problem being that far forward on the ship? I'd rather put up with crowds than seasickness!
- do they have piped music, and if so where, how loud, and what type?

Thanks for any advice!

Paul Motter March 25th, 2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

- is the yacht club restaurant the default dining option for yacht club passengers (instead of the main dining room) or is it more like a specialty restaurant? Is it the same food as the main dining room or one of the other restaurants, and is the quality or service any better?
In the beginning they were the same restaurant, but they gave you free beer and wine with your meals. They had a curtain separating you from the rest of the cruisers and you had the windows but otherwise it was all the same.

NOW, they have a special, private restaurant for Yacht clubbers - it is the one premium dining spot on board. On the new ships coming 2015 the restaurant will be inside the Yacht Club.

Quote:

- what are the breakfast options in the yacht club restaurant? We don't eat wheat so we need a cooked breakfast, continental is no good to us.
Not that great - special coffees of course at no charge, but otherwise just what you might see at any other continental breakfast; rolls, juice, cheese, etc.

Quote:

- does the yacht club bar/lounge have real coffee? Would they get in lactose-free milk for me if they don't usually stock it?
I doubt that they would have soy-milk, but you might be able to buy some in port and they might keep it for you. Personally, I have my coffee in my cabin.

Quote:

- what are the smoking areas in the Yacht Club section of the ship? The website just says "some" bars allow smoking. Does that include the yacht club bar? It's a nice panorama lounge that I would want to use, so I'd be really annoyed if I found it unusable due to cigarette smoke! How about around the yacht club pool and sunbathing space?
As I recall half the room is smoking allowed. This is a European ship, so especially in Europe expect smokers to be everywhere, In the Caribbean they will probably only allow smoking outside.

Quote:

- will they guarantee me a non-smoking cabin? I don't want a cabin that has been used by a smoker. What happens if I've requested a non-smoking cabin and then find when we board that it smells of stale smoke?
They will try to move you if you find the room objectionable - but once again, this is a European cruise line. All cruise try to keep all rooms as either smoking or smoking (so you should never get residual smoke).

Quote:

- I get seasick very easily. Is it likely to be problem being that far forward on the ship? I'd rather put up with crowds than seasickness!
Yes. Unfortunately I have never understood why they put suites all the way forward. It is the worst place on the ship for people who get seasick. Sorry!

Quote:

- do they have piped music, and if so where, how loud, and what type?
No, it is subtle European pop music, not loud.