Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori
Default clothing for New England trip

If anyone has suggestions on what clothing to pack for a Sept. Canada/New England cruise, I would appreciate them. I've always cruised to the South, and I don't know if the typical shorts and swimsuits are going to be appropriate for this trip.
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2001, 02:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: clothing for New England trip

Hi Lori
Went on 2 cruises out of New York to ports of Halifax and Saint John, New
Brunswick in 9/1999 and 9/2000. Both trips were completely different weather
wise. First was great, no rain, with highs in ports high 60's-low 70's.
Second was cold, rainy, no higher than 60 so I would be prepared for all
kinds of weather.
Have a great cruise
Pat
Old February 6th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Lori

Thanks Pat. Doesn't sound like shorts are the ticket. I appreciate your help.
Old February 10th, 2001, 01:04 AM
First Mate

Default Re: New England trip

Hello Pat,
Read that you took 2 trips from NY to New England/Canada.
How much fun/interesting were those trips? What lines? I'm looking into NY to Canada in Sept 2001
on Carnival Victory. Is a balcony cabin worth it? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old February 10th, 2001, 01:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: New England trip

Hi (isn't Pat a great name?? Ha Ha)
The Victory would be great to sail on. I am sure you would enjoy a balcony
cabin - if the weather is nice. Our 2nd trip was cold, rainy so we spent very
little time out on it. You are planning to go EARLY Sept?? I went 9/23
so 3 weeks in the fall can make a world of difference.
You can go to Peggy's Cove, visit the Halifax grave site of the Titanic
passengers, walk to the Citedall (old fort), go on a lobster bake, see the
Reversing Falls, plus the Maritime Museum. The people at Halifax &
Saint Johns are friendly and proud of their lifestyles. On our one cruise
9/2000 they even did fireworks for us when leaving the port and then at the
other bagpipes. I WAS IMPRESSED.
If you can carry on ALL your bags its worth it (4or5 day) Getting off is
a snap too with ALL carryons.
Parking at the pier is $18/day (cash only)
Any more info - I will reply. I love cruising!!!!!!! Pat
Old February 23rd, 2001, 02:15 PM
Admiral

What a beautiful cruising area this is! September should still be warm (I live in New York and I don't recall temperatures going below 70). But I recommend a few cotton sweatshirts or sweaters in case the weather cools down north of New York.

My post prized piece of clothing for this region: a water-proof poncho with a hood (no need for umbrella) and lots of pockets. You can never predict rain, especially in Canada.
Old February 23rd, 2001, 07:14 PM
Ug

Default As a Resident of Halifax, I would recommend.......

.. a varied array of colthing ;-) September in Halifax can be somewhat unpredictable, anywhere form the high 70's to the low 50's. Although the norm is right around 70 and Sunny. This is the running joke here anyways, cause everyone takes their vacations in July and August, then September turns out to be the nicest month of them all ;-))

A decent raincoat would be your most valuable piece of clothing, lots of great things to see in Halifax regardless if it's raining or not.

If ya have any questions about Halifax, just ask away!!!
Old March 22nd, 2001, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Victory/Canada Advice....

Hi.
Looks like some good info on the NY/Canada cruise. My husband and I just booked the Victory for the 5 day leaving 6/2/01. What is the weather in that area typically like this time of year?

Also in reference to parking, we will be driving in...if I read the other message correctly - we can park right at the pier for $18 a day and walk right to the ship? Please confirm.

Any advice is appreciated. This will be our first cruise and we are celebrating our 7th anniversary. We have booked an inside cabin, but I am wondering if we should upgrade to a balcony. Just not sure if it is worth it???

Old April 17th, 2001, 04:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: As a Resident of Halifax, I would recommend...

I am taking the NCL's Norwegian Sky for a New England/Canada cruise including Halifax in June (June 17 - 24). Any tips for clothing in the summer months.

Thanks so much.
Old April 18th, 2001, 06:48 AM
cruisetarp

We took this cruise Oct. 3rd of last year and I would definately recommend layering. While it reached the mid-fifties during the afternoons leaving on the tours in the morning it was quite cool. On several mornings it barely reached 40 when we were leaving the ship.
Old April 21st, 2001, 08:16 AM
Ug

Default Re: As a Resident of Halifax, I would recommend...

Weather should be fine, although my previous suggestion about a Raincoat would probably be the most important thing. I doubt you'll see temps in the 80's, 90's that time of year. Most likely the temps will be in the low to mid 70's. The lowest I've seen it that time of year is in mid 50's.

I think the easiest way to explain this for ya is to look at what New York City or Boston weather is that time of year, then subtract about 5 degrees from the Temp and you'll have Halifax's weather pattern ;-))

Pack a Rain Coat, and a Sweater/light Jacket and you'll be fine for Halifax.
Old April 27th, 2001, 11:47 PM
lene

Default New York/Canada mid-July

I'm delighted to get the info. I'm going mid-July. Looks like I'll need to pack some of everything. Will the air temp on board be significantly colder than on land, do you think? Raincoat, huh? I've only cruised in the Caribbean where a passing shower is to be expected.
Old April 28th, 2001, 04:36 PM
susancruises

Default Re: New York/Canada mid-July

I'm going on this cruise in September, too from New York to Montreal. Lene, take a poncho or raincoat. You may get lucky and not need it but walking around can be pretty miserable if you don't have it. Umbrellas don't cut it, a poncho like Ann said is the best investment. I always take mine no matter where I'm going. Totes brand sells a great poncho with removable hood and pockets. Trust us!
Susan will be cruisin, too! P.S. I live near the Great Lakes so I know what Sept. can be like.
Old May 9th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Ug

Yes, the temperature on Ship will be cooler than what it is on land. Your coming at an ideal time temperature should be great, mid 70;s to low 80's the average for that time of year.

The Raincoat is probably your most important piece of luggage to pack. Don't let some Rain ruin your Port days in Halifax or Saint John.
Old May 25th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Carole Dunham

I took the Victory last year on that same cruise. It was my first time on Carnival and I had a ball. I'm going back with susancruises in September on the Royal Princess. I was going to sail on the Amsterdam, but we had a bad cruise on that ship in the spring. I loved the Victory. My most prominent memories are of lots of music and laughter on the ship. there is music EVERYWHERE, and passengers were so happy they laughed a lot. If Corey Schmidt is still the cruise director, don't miss his shows, he's hysterical. He does shows with trained live birds. It's a treat seeing critters aboard a cruise ship.

Carole
cruzdiva@cruisemates.com
Old September 1st, 2001, 05:48 PM
DeeDeeMilani

Default how was the cruise and what ship were you onrecomm

We leave tomorrow for Halifax, etc. any basic impressions you have, that if you get this in time.
Tahnks DD