Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2001, 10:52 PM
Lene

Default New England/Canada

Got a great deal on NCL for mid-July. I've always had loads of time to do research. Having less than 3 months is very strange for me! Any help you can give me about "must do's" for sightseeing or souveniers, or what to pack would be greatly appreciated. My itinerary is Halifax, Bar Harbor, Boston, Martha's Vineyard, and Newport.
Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2001, 05:54 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: New England/Canada

In Halifax take the city tour. You will see the Maritime Museum with Titanic artifacts and the history of the great explosion that almost destroyed the city. You will also go to Fairview Cemetery and see the 137 graves of Titanic victims. The headstones, all but one, are small and rectangular and laid out in the shape of the bow of a ship. the only different headstone is a rather elaborate, round one. It is the body of a little boy. He went unclaimed and unidentified. The people of Halifax decided he should be buried with a family so he wouldn't be alone. He was buried with a Scandanavian woman and her two children. There are Titanic historical societies on both sides of the Atlantic. Research by one in the US found that he was actually buried with his real family. The father's body was never found, but it was a couple and their three children from Scandanavia coming to the US for a new life. Halifax is a pretty city as well. You could go to Peggy's Cove but it is just a small, picturesque fishing village and half the ship will be there. Your greatest view is going to be of tour busses. In Bar Harbor take an excursion to Acadia National Park. It's gorgeous and you will have time to wander around downtown. It's a charming place. Boston? Well, there are so many things you can do. If you like history, take the Freedom Trail. It is a trail that goes by many of the places that holds so much of our history. You could go to Lexington and Concord if you prefer to get out of the city. You could also go to Marblehead, a beautiful seaside town. I believe they have tours there. I will be going to Newport and the other port you mentioned (forget what it is, age you know) both for the first time this fall. Have a wonderful cruise.

Carole
Old March 8th, 2002, 05:25 PM
shea

one thing in hfx that i recommend is the Harbour hopper, an amphibious vehicle that takes you on a sight seeing tour of the city then drives into the harbour for a harbour cruise tour. $20 Cdn.
Old March 15th, 2002, 09:00 PM
First Mate

Here are a few sites www.halifaxns.com for Halifax and Grayline sightseeing tours in your ports www.grayline.com Have a great trip and I loved Halifax people are friendly and it is safe.