Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2002, 09:17 PM
Passenger

Default Rotterdam vs Royal Princess for fall cruise

TYIA!

My husband and I are going to take a fall cruise to New England for our 10th anniversary this year. We are in our mid 30's and our goal is to relax and take in the scenery. We are not big on entertainment and glitz. We prefer understanded elegance if given a choice.

We are trying to choose between HAL's Rotterdam and the Royal Princess. The Princess cruise appears to be about $1000 cheaper than the HAL cruise so that sort of tipped our hand (basically $2000 vs $3000). However, in doing some research it seems like there are more negative comments about the Royal than the Rotterdam. I was concerned when I pulled up the side by side ratings on this site.

Does anyone have any insights into these two ships. Is the extra $1000 worth it to be on the Rotterdam?

Thanks for any information. We really appreciate it!

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2002, 03:43 PM
JimG

Default Re: Rotterdam vs Royal Princess for fall cruise

You think you're having problems! I'm looking at those 2 plus RCI's Brilliance, NCL's Dream, and Celebrity's Galaxy. My primary parameters were a 10 day trip with a full day and evening in Quebec. With my luck, by the time I'm fully decided they'll all be fully booked.
Old March 4th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've sailed on both lines and would say that the difference, if there realy is one is certainly not worth the $1,000. If there's no difference in cabin category, length of the cruise and ports visited take Princess. The Royal Princess is smaller and older than the Rotterdam. If that tips the balance so be it but, both have the same level of understated elegance...in my opinion. Take the money and run to the first store you find in Québec City. With the current rate of exchange you'll have something additional to remember your cruise by. Just a thought: Why not upgrade...for the $1,ooo difference you should be able to get an amazing cabin on the Royal.
Phil (Montréal)
Old May 7th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Lynn,

I was aboard MV Royal Princess last summer, so I can tell you from first-hand experience that she is in excellent condition. Although she's an older ship, her design was quite innovative and, even now, compares very favorably with many newer ships. You won't find a CHOICE of shows (she has only one show lounge, which does have a different show each night) and you won't find teen and youth centers (but she does have teen and youth programs with professional counsellors whenever there are fifteen or more children aboard -- and I can tell you that the programs do work and don't get in the way, as there were over two hundred children aboard during my cruise!). OTOH, you will find some unexpected amenities -- all her passenger cabins are outside and have full bathtubs, for example.

I'm a veteran of ten cruises, and I do hope to cruise aboard MV Royal Princess again. She's a gorgeous and very classy lady!

Norm.