Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:18 PM
Doug Gunn

Default Carnival Victory

Just booked a cruise on the Carnival Victory 7 day Fall Follage cruise on September 27th. Anyone else going?
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:34 PM
The Scott

Default Re: Carnival Victory

We have the same week cruise booked but, for Sept 2004.

Hope you have a great cruise and we would appreicate any info that you can give us when you return.

I know we are a longgg!!!! way away yet but, that gives us plenty time to search and learn all we can about the Victory and the stops in Boston, Mass., Portland, Ma., Sydney & Halifax Canada.

Please email us after your cruise and give us all the in's and out's, good & bad.

One question I have is that we sail from New York on Saturday and will be in Boston the first stop on Sunday and was wondering if anything will be open.

Also have read a lot of reports about FOG!!!. Let us know if it's just a night and early morning or all the time. Oh course the weather can change from year to year, but let us know as well what the weather is like so we know what type clothes to pack.

Thanks in advance for all you time and info.
The Scotts
Old August 18th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Doug Gunn

Will be spending a day in New York. My hotel is near Time Square. Can anyone tell me if you can walk from Time Square to the Empire State Building
Old August 20th, 2003, 12:03 PM
jacobs

Default Re: Re: Carnival Victory

hi doug, I WILL BE ALSO IN NYC. SAME AS YOU. FOR THE SEPT. 27TH CRUISE... WE ARE STAYING IN TIME SQUARE. I THINK EMPIRE STATE BUILDING IS ABOUT 10 BLOCKS FROM TIME SQ.....WE WILL BE AT THE DOUBLE TREE SUITES....
Old September 14th, 2003, 10:06 PM
kermit the frog

Hi just got back from the cruise.

it was good.
the victory is big (but now there are bigger as it is 3 years old). it was fairly clean.
As with many cruises the time in port was too short.
Boston 1:30-10 (only 1 excursion allowed on ship) Fanneuli hall closes as do the shops around 6 (restaurants open). wE TOOK A duck tour it was nice to do Once. If you like history there are probably better ones.
Portland maine doesn't have much I rented a car and whalewatched (saw whales, porpise, a few seals, the wicked witch of the wests real house and lobster traps) in Boothbay Harbor (1 hr away) enterprise picks you up and drops u off a the terminal.
Sydney was a quaint town (despite the poor economy with the closed steel and coal mines) We also rented a car -enterprise (tried to bird/seal watch but water too choppy sounded nicce though it is an hour away) not much to do here bu the people were nice. we were there 9/10/03 and they had a firefighter/veteran memorial for 9/11it was touching and nice for them to do for us americans (and the world) they had no direct financial benefit by doing this (yes the ship brings in money) but they took time out as individiuals to do this.

It is a nice terminal, however still small in the tuorist sense. this was a big year for them (39 scheduled cruises plus some diverted from bermuda)
halifax is more tourist "friendly" also nice people (the american dollar goes further) The Maritime musuem was nice as was the peggys cove excursion. Howevwer it is crowded once you get there our oner boat had 15 - 49 passenger buses go out there all within an hour of each other so there were alot of people there at one time for a small place (you can mail a postcard (even to yourself) with a special lighthouse piostmark from the only post office in a lightouse in canada (but again approx 700 people in 1 (plus 2 tiny tiny shops and one lighthouse very tight ) if you are good with a map rent a car or see if youy could go with others out there and share a priovate car service who knows there way around. 1 hour on the vcove is not enough, but if thats all you can do do it (it iis late in the cruise so by then you;ll have met firends possibly to share the ride.) also by the bus you dio get a tourguide to show you the area ours was well informed. You could see the swiss air memoRIAL (AS IT CRASHED 7 miles off the coast but by bus u cant stop)
the risk of the non carnival approved tours if you are late u get a great view of the ships tail heading off into the sunset.
The food is ok (i like royal carrib. better) but good. the desserts were not great (but i still managed to put away alot of food.
the corned beef at the grill open 12 hrs is good) the pizza was bad (comapred to NY standards.
No kids almost (maybe 50 out of 3000 poeple less than 18 years) (good for most [people ) i would say the average age was 55 we are 30 and still had a good time though.
I liked teh pacific dinign room as it had windows on 3 sides (if u have late seating doesnt matter too much though)
Decor was ok but nothing great
some areas very smokey
we had balcony nice but as it gets later it may be cold out there.
room was normal cruise ship size you can answer the door while sitting on the toilet wash your hands , watch tv and have your feet on the balcony (just kidding) alot of nooks and cranys for stroage. Stewards very good.
Shows were good too for the most part escpecially the dancers.
the cruise director was great (he is Mark Price from engalnd) the asst director was good too. the social hosts were preety good. the capitan was good, however the seas we rough (fabain was dying off and you are in the north atlantic)
have fun hope this helps nothing compkleetly negative to report. Any vacation especially a cruise is always great
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Avalyn

HI. I live in New York. Yes it is possible to walk to the Empire State Building from Times Square. It would be about 10 blocks. Times Sqare is on 42st & Empire Bldg is on 34th & 5th avenue. I love to walk. If you are not in the mood or if it's bad weather you can also take the train for one stop. #6 to 33rd st or N,R to 34th st. You can get a 1day unlimited metrocard for I think $5.50 if you plan on traveling to more than one place. It's good for the bus and train for an unlimited amount of times. I hope this helps. Have fun
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:08 PM
ebonybee

We have taken this itinerary, this ship in September. However, do consider that at that time of the year the crowd is exceptionally mature. I should say very, very mature. We must have booked at the same time as the the "grey foxes" or something . We are in our 40's and could count on our hands the number of couples at our age or younger. I was told this cruise really attracts an older crowd. "Big Band" was the music format for this cruise.

The jazz musician joked us every night about being the only ones interested in hearing him perform. The ship was DEAD at 10pm. Dining Room breakfast was very, very popular...everyone up early! We had the gym to ourselves. Both hubby and I were born to elderly parents so we're very understanding about physical conditions as you age, however, we were calling "cane alert" and "walker alert" constantly. I was glad these people were mobile enough and still had a positive attitude enough to travel...I just wish the demographics had been better!

I'm a Carnival stock owner so I wouldn't say negative comments if they weren't true. I think all the Destiny Class ships need to go in for soft refurbishments. I also took the Victory on a 2day Cruise to Nowhere out of Norfolk last June. Sagging beds, rough towels, and bedspreads.

Out of NY, Carnival's Legend in a better choice.
Old January 30th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just noticed some of you are posting that you are on Victory out of New York on the 27th. We are booked the same week, yet we leave New York on the 25th.

Are you all getting on at a port along the way? Or perhaps Carnival has changed the dates since we booked 6 mos ago.

Thanks
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:02 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

The original post is now very old but, I was just going back to see if there was anything interesting and I am now in a panic!!! Average age 55?!? I am in my 20s, did I make a big mistake booking this particular cruise?!

Old July 17th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Carey,

We are baby bommers 50ish, but are very young at heart and love to have a good time.

We booked only due to the ports and have never been to New York or the New England state or Canada.

So figured what a better way to see this part of the country, but on a beauitful ship.

Maybe we'll pass in the crowd as we've leaving the ship and your getting ready to board.

We are flying in a day early and going to explore New York City for the day, I can't wait to see Lady Liberty, I just know I'll cry.

Have a great cruise!!!

Bon Voyage!!!
Hurry Up September 25th

RCI Mariner 2005 St. Thomas St Marteen
NCL Star 2006 Seattle to Alaska
NCL Pride of Aloha 2007 Hawaii Island Hopping
url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Free Cruise Clocks