Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:18 PM
Passenger

Default Boston/Portland-what to do

Hi,
We are going on CCL 7Day Victory Sep18 NE/CAN. I have done the Halifax cruise already so I know about that but this one is stoping in BOS PWM and Sidney as well. I was wondering if anyone knows when you get into BOS are you able to walk to downtown. Also is it easy to find the Freedom Trial. Are they any excusions we should do-I heard about the Duck Boat-We usually do at least one excusion from the ship when we go to a city we never been to just to get a feel of the place and see the "main attractions". Are they any that someone would recomend-stay away from? Also in PWM{portland ME}is it easy to walk to town from the ship-what excusions should we do,see/not do . We are also stoping in Sidney NS-any info on that re:excusions what to see ,do is it easy to get around. - We are not really into renting cars -we are more into walking . Any info would be greatly appricated.

Thanks
MI5
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:51 AM
Parrot Mom

Default Re: Boston/Portland-what to do

As a Bostonian I can't recommend the Duck Tour enough, it's a blast even for us living here.. the "Captains" make the amphibious tour of Boston informative and fun. You really do not need to do trip excursions in Boston.. Boston is a very walkable city. There will be cabs outside the Black Falcon Pier..you can take it to the QuicyMarket and pick up a Duck Tour there or walk to the North End and do the Freedom Trail (Paul Revere's home), eat at the fabulous italian restaurants or wander into Mike's Pastry or one of the other famous shops like Modern. As for Portland...it's a walkable city..the Old Port is charming...and we like the City Market (away from the Old Port) which is actually a local market with one of the booths selling the StoneWall Jams... You may want to go on a whale watch..if they offer it..
As for Sydney..I know nothing about it.. except there is a Fort.. If you'd care to write to me I'll send you moe info on Boston especially
Old July 16th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Passenger

Portland is a lovely city. I know I lived there 18 years!

The Old Port is a nice area to walk around, lots of shops and restaurants, that I am sure you will love. There is the Casco Bay Islands that has a Ferry line where you can sign up to cruise aroudn the small islands in the narbor and it is a lovely ride.

You can also walk arounbd downtwon protland, lots of history there, as well as the Porltand Museum of Art whcih has Winslow Homer paintings, quite lovely.

My mom runs the reservation department at the Eastland Park hotle across from the Museum, so I have lots of connections there if you need any other information

Mike
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are going on Carnival Victory New York to Canada September 25-Oct 2.

Been searching the web for months for each city we will visit. There is a lot of good info out there.

In Boston we have booked a private tour with Boston Private Tours. Since the ship according to Carnvial web site will not arrive until 3pm that doesn't give a whole lot of daylight, so this guy is going to pick us up at the pier and give us a tour of the highlights of Boston.

In Portland we have booked a tour with Oceanview Tours and they as well are picking us up at the pier, I believe the guy said, a 15 passenger van. The tour will be the hightlights of Portland and Kennebunkport where on the way you'll see Victorian Homes and lighthouses.

In Syndey we have booked private tour with Tarton Tours , pick up at the pier with tour to Louisbourg Fortress +.

If your going to Halifax we are doing Peggy Cove Tour with Aberdeen Tours then back to down with a brief tour and shopping if time.

Hope this helps.

Have a great cruise

RCI Mariner 2005 St. Thomas St Marteen
NCL Star 2006 Seattle to Alaska
NCL Pride of Aloha 2007 Hawaii Island Hopping
url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Free Cruise Clocks
Old August 4th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

As well as Quincy Market and the North End (must go to Mike's) you could go over to Old Ironsides the Constitution. There is the Museum of Science, Fenway Park tours and of course the Duck Tours. They are a lot of fun. Especially when you quack at people. Freedom Trail, there is also a night tour of haunted spots in the city, that is on a trolley. I forget the name, but will try to find it. Boston Common and Public Gardens, try a swan boat ride then go over and have a beer at CHEERS. (Bull and Finch pub right near the Public Garden). All very walkable or a short cab ride away.
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all your suggetions. Its been really helpful

MI5
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:10 PM
VESW01

Default Victory 9/25-10/2 too

Any suggestions on booking the duck tours in Boston? Would this be a difficult time for a 2 yr old? I can alway just send my grandmother and son.

D
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

You can book the Duck Tour online a few days prior to the tour date or you can call them. As far as the 2 year old, I think it would very much depend on his/her temperment and attention span. I would personally not take a 2 year old on this tour, but that is ultimately up to you. Remember that you cannot get off the tour at anytime. It is continuous.

www.bostonducktours.com - for their phone number and more info.

Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:54 PM
Karen Ciociola

Default Re: Re: Boston/Portland-what to do

We will be on the same cruise! This is our very first cruise and we just booked last week. You are all set--thanks for the helpful hints.