Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:39 PM
JUDYCARROL

Default Hallifax / St Johns weather 1 week of June

We are traveling the first week of June on Holland America, what can we expect for weather, and has anyone been on this cruise with Holland America this is the first time for this cruise lines. Our stops are Portland, Bar Harbour, St Johns, Halifax, and Martha's vinyard. Are there things we muct not miss at any of these ports? never in this direction we are from Texas. We leave on Sat 29 of May hurry with answers
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:15 PM
Parrot Mom

Default Re: Hallifax / St Johns weather 1 week of June

Sorry that no one else has answered you.. It is a favorite cruise of ours...up the NE coast to Canada..Portland has the fun "old port".. little shops and restaurants and further on the MainStreet an LL Bean outlet you might be interested in... also we liked the City Market...Bar Harbor is charming nd if you don't opt for an excursion to see the whales I must tell you the best lobster and steamed clams are there.. As your looking down the hill towards the water...go to the left.. and you will find right over the bridge.. a lobster shack.. you can eat on top of the roof or inside.. You pick out the lobster, we also choose steamed clams and corn.. and they call you when it's ready.. As a Bostonian I must tell you the price for a 2 1/2 pound lobster each and the steames and the corn were incredibly reasonable.. Halifax.. our favorite port.. If you don't live near the sea you might want to go to see Peggys Cove, but it's a long way for not much.. At the pier you will find ladies who can call a cab or ifyou walk along the wonderful meandering boardwalk you will see some cabs for rent.. The first year our cab driver took us to the graves ot the Titanic Victims...which was the most moving experience we've ever had.. then he dropped us off at the Citadel, a fort in time for the noon cannon being shot and a bag pipe performance...he then picked us up anddropped us back at the wharf to enjoy a lobster dinner and walk back to the ship. This time when we went we took the Harbor Hopper.. a vehicle that takes you around . Halifax and then a tour of the harbor...very enjoyable.. St. John...another favorite.. as you cruise in there will be entertainmet on the dock... the Lord Mayor will be there handing out roses to the women and pins to the men.. This trip we took the free bus in to town and picked up another bus that took us to the Reversing Falls...instead of taking the bus back.. at the end of the stairs was a ferry... we took the ferry with the Captain pointing out all the harbor seals.. He drops you off in the downtown area where there are pubs and shops...Up the hill is the City Market.. where we buy Canadian tea for our neighbor... on the way back to the ship.. across the street is a lobster shack..great lobsters. Haven't been to Martha's Vineyard for years so I can't ell yo much, but it';s very quaint...and filled with celebrities.If you need more information please write.
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:05 AM
JUDYCARROL

Default Re: Re: Hallifax / St Johns weather 1 week of June

Thanks for the wonderful information, It will surley help us in our journey. We are so excited about seeing a part of the world we have never seen. Can you enlighten me with the weather. everyone says the weather will be horrible, I will enjoy the cool we are always hot in Texas. We visited Alaska the very same week and had wonderful weather.
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Parrot Mom

Your from Texas...it will be cool, if not cold to you..lol Right now in NE we are having rainy weather.. A sweatshirt and long pant, jacket will get you far..
Old May 25th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Judy,

My husband and I will be on the same cruise. A friend of ours who lives in Canada 2 hours from Bar Harbor, said be prepared for all weather. We live in CA so will be bringing a couple of sweaters. Am looking forward to this cruise too. Hope to meet you on the ship. You'll find my husband and I checking out the piano bar. Like to sit and listen.
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:53 PM
JUDYCARROL

Looking forward to meeting you too You will probably know us by our accent. ( TEXAS)
I work in a school it is out today and I leave tomorrow I am excited and need a break. The weather forcast said that we may not have to much rain I hope not the cool is good.
See ya in a couple of days.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:44 PM
Tammy G.

I would like to do a shore excursion and wondering if we will be able to do both that one and the harbour hopper since the description says it's only an hour long? Any advice?