Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2004, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Default Trolley Tours, any in the ports on Canada/New England itin?

Does anyone know if trolley tours are offered for the New England/Canada region.

Are there any independent bus tours as well. If not, I guess I will have to book cruise excursions.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:42 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: Trolley Tours, any in the ports on Canada/New England it

Not sure what cruise you are going on or what your ports are, but there is a comany in Portland, Maine called Mainely Tours that we plan to use. Unfortunately you cant make reservations in advance, but you can go here http://www.mainelytours.comand email them and they will send you a brochure.

Post Edited (06-20-04 09:48)

Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:32 AM
Parrot Mom

Trolley tours available in Boston probablyfrom the QuincyMarket and in Newport..
Old June 22nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
First Mate

try duck tours in boston

http://www.bostonducktours.com/

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey

We will be going on the Duck Tour when we are in Boston, but just as a word of caution - unlike trolly tours, the Duck Tour does not let you hop on and off.

Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:47 AM
Parrot Mom

The Duck Tours ROCK....
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:11 AM
First Mate

Thanks everyone, unfortunately we are not going to Boston. Going out of NYC and the itin is:

Newport, RI
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Corner Brook, Newfoundland
Quebec City
Saint John, New Brunswick
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Does anyone know if Quebec City has a trolley, rail, bus tour other than the cruise ship excursions?

Just bought a book on Canada, so I'll read up on these places.
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've not been on the Canada-New England cruises, but have been to Montreal, Quebec City and the province of Quebec many times. Probably the best way to see Quebec City is to do a self-guided walking tour. The ambiance of the Old City, which is a walled city, is marvelous with narrow cobblestone streets and wonderful old buildings and shops. Some of the shops and open-air art gallery are fantastic places to shop. The Terasse Dufferin (Board walk) is always full of entertainers when the cruise ships are in port too. I really don't recommend a bus tour because Old Quebec has steep narrow streets and is actually on 2 levels. (There is a enclosed lift that will take you from Lower Town to Upper Town). You will waste a lot of time and miss a lot of sights. Quebec is probably the most European city in North America. If you get tired and don't mind spending a little money, the horse drawn caleches (carriages) will also take you around. In general, the city is very safe, more so than a lot of US cities of the same size. Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions on Quebec City. As I said I have traveled there many times over the past 5 years. One of these days, I might try a cruise there. This September, I am doing my second Alaska cruise.

Old June 28th, 2004, 04:18 PM
First Mate

Thanks everyone for your info.

Linda, thanks for your info. One question: Would we want to do the upper level or lower level or both.

The carriage ride sounds nice. I usually do them in any historical American city I visit. Believe it or not, I've never done it in Central Park NYC and I worked there. Maybe on this trip to New England when we are in NYC for six days I'll do the carriage ride thru Central Park. Enjoy your trip to Alaska.
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

The area of Quebec City that you want to visit, Old Quebec is very compact. It is a true "walking city". You can do both "Upper Town" and "Lower Town" in the time that you have very easily on foot. I have seen the tour buses there and wonder how much time they spend just trying to navigate all the narrow one-ways in the old city. The shopping is great and the street performers on the boardwalk are fun and some are quite good. The carriage rides are in Upper Town, by the way. If you have time and aren't tired of being on the water, a nice cheap thing to do is to take the ferry that crosses the St Lawrence to the South Shore and then returns...great views of the city from the water. As I recall, it is only about $2 for the round trip and takes about an hour. Make sure you don't miss seeing the gates and ramparts in Upper town and have a great time! Another hint, be sure you are out on deck when you cruise in the Saguenay Fjord. It is gorgeous, particularly in the fall. Thanks for your good wishes on my trip to Alaska. It will be my second Alaska cruise and I am looking forward to it.

Old June 30th, 2004, 06:12 PM
hcat

There's a complete walking tour in most Quebec guidebooks--If you need a website address let me know. We are doing the ship's excursions both days First the Old & New City tour & then the Countryside tour. You are so lucky to have Newfoundland on your trip--they cut maine from ours so we just have the same ports as you so but not Newfoundland. Still looking forward toit immensely but have not connected with too many fellow cruisers...
Old July 3rd, 2004, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Linday Y...thanks for the great info.

I made my notes on the carriage ride and ferry. We did the ferry pass in Bermuda and it was fabulous.

I'll skip the bus tour and walk some of the pounds off I know I will put on these great cruises.

Thanks again.

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Robert Guillette

Default Re: Re: Trolley Tours, any in the ports on Canada/New Englan

When the ship docks in Quebec there will be many taxis and vans that will offer tours base on your own desires: out of the city, to the shrine, up in the mountains, etc. You can negotiate. But the fares seen quite reasonable.