Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2004, 06:13 PM
First Mate

Default Sightseeing in Canada/New England

To all our seasoned cruisers who have been to Canada/New England.....can you share your best excursions and what to see in Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Rhode Island?

Sent off today for some tourism info and will probably buy a book on Quebec city as well.

Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Haze

Default Re: Sightseeing in Canada/New England

We will be on our third Canada new England cruise on August 21st.
I highly reccommend Quebec City. It is spectacular. It is North America,s only walled city. you can walk all around the walled sections.there is an upper city and a lover city.
You can take the cable car up to the upper portion. The city is steeped in history . It is a must see.
Halifax Nova Scotia has a great waterfront area that you can stroll along. I would reccommend a trip to Peggy's Cove. It is quaint and beautiful. the trip out there is also a nice scenic drive. there is a very moving memorail close by to the Swiss air disaster.
Cabot Trail is alos spectacular as long as it is not encased in fog ansd it is in fogg a lot of ;the time.when we toured it, well the fog was so think we could not see much.
I Rhode Island we tool a bus tour tha was offerd to show us al the large historic mansions. We enjoyed it. It also took us donw by the ocean side which we also enjoyed.
I hope this info is helpful. if you have any other questions and i can assist you I would be gld to do so.
Enjoy your cruise.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:30 AM
Parrot Mom

In Halifax I wouldn't recommend Peggys Cove because the fog rolls in and it's very far. We hired a taxi and went to the graves of the Titanic Victims on our first trip.. it was extremely moving, then on to the Citadel for the noon performance...the second time we took the Harbor Hopper and then to the Maritime Museum along ther waterfront.. right after the Harbor Hopper..and of course lunch.. The boardwark along the waterfront is lovely with street people playing music and craft people.. In newport, we only live an hour away, we got off the tender, went to the left to the tourist station and took a trolley all around Newport....There is no need to buy ship tours..
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:15 AM
First Mate

Thanks Parrot Mom, I will look for the trolley tour. This is the best way to see the city anywhere.
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:14 PM
hcat

Where can you get the Trolley Tour from in Newport? Currently we are planning an excursion whihc includes a general tour & tour of a mansion. Then planned to walk around on our own to see the Touro synagogue & other historic sites.& shop at the Wharfs--But the trolley sounds like a good bet...
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Parrot Mom

When you are tendered in...go to the left..there is a tourist building about a block away.. and youcan pick and choose which trolley tour.. we did the one of all of Newport. As for the Touro Synagogue it's not far away and you can walk.. As for the shops...well, you'll have no trouble finding them or the Brickmarket..
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:37 PM
hcat

Thanks what's the brickmarket?
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Robert Guillette

Default Re: Re: Sightseeing in Canada/New England

It's a small market place downtown that is connected to the main drag, Thames Street. You'll be close by when you leave the tender.