Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2004, 12:23 PM
hcat

Default Saguenay River

To Anyone who has been there, is it really going to be as nice as they say? Did you see any whales (what time of yr?, What else did you spot from the ship? How does the ship turn around?
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Haze

Default Re: Saguenay River

This will be our 3rd time on this run. Yes and Yes. We saw whales on both of the other cruises. They are very close to the ship. There are usually announcements over the ship's loud speaker system as you approach the area where the whales are seen. the ship does not go all the way up the Saguenay but a good distance . There is a statue built by a greatful seaman when he was stranded and rescued.The statue is to the
Virgin Mary. The ship turns around not too far from that site.
The scenery is absolutley spectacular. Both of our other cruises were in the Fall at the end of September.
it is a lovely trip. We like it so much that we are doing it again on August 21 on Holland America.
Enjoy your cruise. You will not be disapointed.
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Portsleft

We did this cruise a couple of years ago on the Crown Princess from Montreal to New York. The trip up the Saguenay is great. You cruise at a slow speed a get a great view of the sights. We cruised from Sept 4 to the 14th. You will enter the river from the Bay of Sainte Catherine. You will cruise up the river about two hours and reach the Bay of Eternite for a wonderful view of the statue Notre Dame de Saguenay high on the cliffs.
I am sure they will give us the history of the statue. At this point the ship will swing around and head out of the river. We saw many whales during our time in the river. The only rough seas we encountered was leaving the Gulf of Lawerence and entering the Atlantic. This only lasted a couple of hours. Hope this answers your question and we will see you on board the Connie.
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Beginner

Gcat --the river cruise sounds great. Another cousin of mine did this cruise a few years ago and raved about the river. Do hope we see some whales.
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:39 PM
hcat

I am really getting excited about the trip--Found some nice photos of the area on the web-(just put it in the search box) -it looks lke a very beautiful place. Hope we have good weather!
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Beginner

as long as we dont have "snow" i will be happy. I memtioned when I was in alaska we prepared with clothes that we could layer but the temps were in the 70's. don't forget to check the long range temps on the weather site. they give you a 10 day forcast

m
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:18 PM
hcat

It's the hurricanes I fear--but hope they don't strike way up north two yrs in a row!
Old July 28th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Beginner

last year we never made it to Bermuda but instead all the ships that were going there cailed instead to New England, NCL never told us until we reached the dock. But they did post a message on their website that we might be going North instead of South
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Beginner

hcat,

don't worry about hurricane up there. I am from this area and I never saw a real hurricane up there. You cruising from where?

Have a great time!
Old August 10th, 2004, 07:47 AM
hcat

Weare Cruising from NYC. Even though the pier is supposed to be a madhouse with not so nice facility it will be better than having to fly someplace first to take the cruise. While I don't think there are hurricanes at Saguenay, I thought there was a hurricane/big storm in Nova Scotia last yr that messed up the city park in Halifax--hoping for great weather& maybe seeing some whales!
Old October 3rd, 2004, 02:49 PM
Beginner

Do you see any sea otters on the Princess 10 day Canada/New England cruise that includes the S River?
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:10 PM
hcat

Did not see any otters on Constellation 9/20 from NYC but what a great cruise it was! The ship was top notch in all ways & although we enjoyed every port ,the Saguenay for me was tops. We did see whales. A naturalist was on board for the day & we started inside in the nite club with panaoramic views of the fjord. with a narrative & ended on deck in th e sunshine in a beatutiful cove with our captain sounding the horn,,,then on to the statue of the Virgin mary with Ave Maria being played. Quite a special day in a beautiful pristine area....Just loved this cruise--it did exceeed expectations!