CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   New England / Canada (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/)
-   -   renting a car in halifax (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/255651-renting-car-halifax.html)

mcw voyager #2 this yr July 26th, 2004 09:00 PM

renting a car in halifax

hi,
i'm going to halifax on vos on 9/19. can anyone explain the process of renting a car there? i am traveling with 3 others and i think it would be more economical to drive to peggy's cove in a rental than do a shore tour through rccl.
thanks,
mcw

Meribeth July 28th, 2004 06:09 PM

Re: renting a car in halifax

I've been told there is an Enterprise agency at the port. If you go to Enterprise's website and type in "cruise" for the location, it will come up. Our cruise is in October so I can't give you any first hand knowledge.

Julie Martin July 29th, 2004 06:37 PM

We rented a car in Halifax at the Port. We drove to Peggy's Cove. We rented a mini-van as there was 8 of us and only spent about $75. It was great!

w770496 July 30th, 2004 09:20 AM

I rented from Enterpise for $32 CAD, they have a stand in the port

CruiseDave August 15th, 2004 06:50 PM

I rented a "mid size" from Enterprise. $45 CAD or $36 US. The RCCL excursion is $48 per person to Peggy's Cove. Renting is a much better deal.

bigred08046 September 12th, 2004 10:58 PM

Get to rental desk early or book advance or you may be stuck.

mcw voyager #2 this yr September 13th, 2004 05:44 PM

Re: Re: renting a car in halifax

thanks,
all booked

radamo September 17th, 2004 12:04 PM

I didn't see this thread prior to posting other questions about Halifax. This sounds like a good idea.
RA

lauli October 10th, 2004 12:58 PM

Re: Re: renting a car in halifax

Can anyone tell me what the insurance requirements were for the rental car? Were you given a Canadian Liability Card to carry? AAA mentions this card on their web site, but when we tried to get one from the local office, they said to obtain it at the rental agency. Was a valid U.S. driver's license acceptable, or did they also require a passport? Thanks for any info!

mcw October 17th, 2004 11:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: renting a car in halifax

in halifax i just used my nys license. i did opt for "gap" insurance, but your car insurance should cover anything else. check with your ins agent before you go.

beart72 October 19th, 2004 09:48 PM

LOL I'd skip Peggy's Cove completely! I've been there and wish I never bothered. It's boring, nothing to see and literally nothing to do! You go look at the light house and mail a post card... Uggh stay in the ship and get a massage :)

hcat October 20th, 2004 04:44 PM

Halifax is a fabulous city--so much to do..if you don't want Peggy's Cove or finish early you can do the whole city by the hop off & on bus tour or just wander on your own...can walk to most sites if you are a good walker...Great tavern--O'Carrols for lunch Wish we were back there!