Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Passenger

Default Halifax Info

HI
We are going on CCL Victory on 9/18/04. This is our third trip to Halifax and what I really want to do this time is just goto the cemetary of the Titanic victims and the Memorial site for the Swiss Air crash near Peggys Cove. Does anyone know of a car service or taxi company I can get to do just those 2 things. Should I just wait till get there and see about hiring a cab. Also I really dont want to pay alot just for those 2 things. Any help will be appricated.

JC
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:36 PM
gcmrn

Default Re: Halifax Info

We also are going on the Victory on 9/18/04 but it is our first cruise there. Would you mind sharing any tips with us? Thanks
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Passenger

gcmrm
Halifax is a great place to vist. As soon as you get off the boat you can walk to "downtown" in a matter of mins. If you like to walk, there are so many things to see/do. Theres of course Peggys Cove-From a tourist point of view I think it is a nice palce to see at least once(that you have to drive to}but almost everything else is within walking distance. Theres the Citadel{which fires a cannon at noon} and the Clock Tower. Those are healthy walks. But the view from the Clock Tower is great. There are also the public gardens, which I heard are nice{never been there-gardens are not my thing}again its a healthy walk. There is the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic-which has a Titanic exhibit. I think its about maybe 6CAD plus for an extra 3CAD{it might be a little higher now} ,you get 3d glasses to view a short docu movie about the Titanic. There is also the boardwork-which on a nice day is great to walk -plenty of little shops and resterants along the way. They also have college guys with Ricshaws{sp?) that for about 10-20USD they will take you up or down the boardwalk. The first time we went we walked almost the entire city and decided to treat ourselves w/a rickshaw ride back to the boat. Also if you into drinking-there is the he Alexander Keith Brewery-for about 15USD you tour the place,but its more like a museum type tour than a factory tour, At the end you get to sample the local stuff-and not little glasses/cups either full mugs and you can have as much as you like. They also have lemonaid for those who dont drink or minors You should goto www.halifaxinfo.com-there is some good stuff there. Also you can request a Halifax Visitors guide-which had a map and even had a walking tour you could do. Plus other things to see,vist etc.. It was really helpful-in fact I orderd a new one-mine is about a yr old and has seen better days since I used it like a bible the last time we were there. There is really alot to see churches,museums,whatever your into. I think you will enjoy the city.
As for the other ports we are going to-I am new to those as well. Where are you guys coming in from?

JC
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:01 AM
tennis837

We will be on Jewel of the Seas, RCCL's new ship leaving Boston on Sept. 18. I rented an imediate size car for $36.37 total, Canadian, from Enterprise at the Hollis address. Someone on Cruise Critic recommended it.
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:05 PM
VESW01

Any ideas to do with kids? I am traveling with a 2 yr old, an 84 yr old and an 11 yr old.