Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
Brejo

Default Lobster

Anyone know of casual place close to pier in St. Johns and Halifax to get a good lobster dinner? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Parrot Mom

Default Re: Lobster

LOBSTER...YUMMY...In St. John...along the waterfront near the cruise ships (not in the little tourist square) opposite docks..set back...is true lobster shack. You order the lobsters, steamers and whatever and then when they call your # you pick it up.. When you get off the ship the Lord Mayor will greet you with a rose for the women and a pin for the men...Ask the ladies exactly where and the name of the lobster shack.It is one of three restaurants owned by the same family.. In Halifax...there is no problem either...but not as rustic..lolOff the top of my head there is a restaurant of the "walk" that serves lobster and although I didn't get to it.. there is another one that was recommended by our driver....Lobster ..something...I'm not sure. I believe it's on the opposite side of the water...ner the Maritime Museum. If you need more info on these two ports please write.
Old August 30th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

The lobster spot in St. John is called STEAMERS you can see the building from your ship when you dock. We ate there and it was excellent. They have lobsters up to 8 pounds. We liked it so much that for New Year's Eve we called them and had thirteen 6 pound live lobsters delivered to us in Pennsylvania. What idiots we were to think we could use regular "crackers" to open those claws....they were bigger than your hand!

STEAMERS was much better than the restaurant we ate at in Halifax. I don't remember the name of the place but it was located on the water front, down from the dock.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:33 AM
Parrot Mom

Steamers is one of three restaurants owned by one family...one restaurant for each son I had heard.. Six pound lobsters had to be "hard shell" and possibly tough..it was a real old one, but I wonder if it was sweet.. Now, if you get to Bar Harbor there is another lobster shack on the water which rivals Steamers...lol
Old April 2nd, 2005, 01:01 PM
First Mate

since i have never been to the east coast i am going to ask a very '' silly ? '' to you easterners im sure. can i get broiled lobster tail as easily as steamed lobster?? i live here in the midwest and i cannot get a taste for the '' boiled only type'''. i want to go on the canadian/new england cruise and am looking forward to eating my fill of this wonderful sea food i love and hear so much about in your area while i am there.

so, do they do both everywhere. please be kind with my silly question.

Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:54 PM
Passenger

We New Englanders turn up our noses at "lobster tails"... The further north you go with the coldest water you will find the sweetest lobsters. You can get baked stuffed, but most of us just like to put on the big, take the crackers break it open and dip in plain butter..
Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:16 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Lobster

louise

maybe it was the way they steamed it here. it seemed slimmy and not appealing at all to me. im sure in your area they know the best way to prepare it. i cant wait to try it again and see if i like it when it is done right.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Passenger

In Bar Harbor we looked for "steamers"(hard to explain that one..lol)and the only place they were available was a lobster shack on the waterfront where you picked out your own lobsters by whether hard or soft shell and what size... and then waited....I'd be embarassed to tell you how big the lobsters were...andthat we polished them off.. But once you have had N.E. lobsters, especially north of Boston with the colder waters... everything else you taste will pale..
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Passenger

Hi All,
I live in Halifax and we've the best lobster there is. There's lots of restaurants that have lobster. On the waterfront I would recommend a restaurant called Salty's. The food there is wonderful. A few other places along the waterfront (within walking distance of the pier) is The Warehouse and Murphy's on the Water (which is also a souvenir store with the restaurant at the back). They all have great chowder, mussels (yummmy), fish & chips, etc. The Lower Deck is also a great Maritime tradition, and across from there is Cows -- the best ice cream with lots of great souvenirs (a must see). I could go on and on about the restaurants here -- there's so many.

www.halifaxinfo.com is a great site to get info from.

I'd be glad to answer any more questions.

Old April 17th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Jean S

If you're lucky enough to stop in Prince Edward Island the lobster is fabulous. I have probably been spoiled. I have spent part of every summer there and their lobster is the best I have ever had....Yummy!