Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Default Quebec - what are the must sees

Hi,
My wife and I will be on a cruise that stops in Quebec for a day. I was in Quebec when I was a child and don't really remember it at all. I have read that this city is very beautiful and I want to make sure we get to experience some of the best it has to offer. I know we will only be there for a day but ... given that what are the things that have to be seen? Are there particular excursions that are good to do?
Thanks for any advice....
RA

10/00 Grandeur of the Seas
4/02 Explorer of the Seas
10/02 Adventure of the Seas
9/03 Vision of the Seas
10/04 Jewel of the Seas
10/05 Adventurer of the Seas
5/06 Empress of the Seas
8/07 Radiance of the Seas
10/08 Freedom of the Seas
11/09 Island Princess
9/10 Explorer of the Seas

Fall 2011 Allure of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Marlene

Default Re: Quebec - what are the must sees

Hello:

You will definitely want to see Old Quebec. This is where the Chateau Frontenac is and you can walk through cobblestone streets. There are a number of shops and cafes. From what I understand the ships dock near the old part but on a lower level. Also Mont Morency Falls is near Quebec City (maybe 20 minutes away) and it is quite nice as well. You can walk on a suspension bridge over the falls. There is cable car that will take you up and there is a restaurant at the top. You can take the cable car back or walk down. I would make the old part the priority if you don't have time for both.

Which cruise are you taking?

I am booked on Jewel of the Seas October 8th. It docks in Quebec City one day.

I hope this has been helpful and have a good time.

Marlene
Old August 26th, 2004, 08:03 PM
hcat

Luckily our trip has two days in Quebec so we are doing one day on the Old & New City Tour & a tea at the hotel Frontenac. On the second day it's a countryside tour---that will cover the falls & the little island off Quebec--can't recall the name. Hope we have the same great weather that we are having in NY today!
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Quebec - what are the must sees

We will be on that cruise as well. Thanks for the highlights. Sounds like we will have quite a full day in Quebec since I already had those items on our list of things to see. Now we just have to decide whether we will take any of the ship's excursions to see these things or if we are better off doing these on our own.

Rich

9/03 Vision of the Seas
10/04 Jewel of the Seas
5/06 Empress of the Seas
11/09 Island Princess

Old August 29th, 2004, 08:41 PM
hcat

Are you on Jewel or Constellation?
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Passenger

Sorry, we will be on the Jewel.
RA

9/03 Vision of the Seas
10/04 Jewel of the Seas
5/06 Empress of the Seas
11/09 Island Princess

Old January 25th, 2005, 10:04 PM
First Mate

We plan to be in Quebec City for 2 nights before boarding the Sea Princess on October 24th. What is recommended to not miss in this city?
Frank-in-CA
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:10 PM
hcat

The city itself of course has all the historic attractions & the beatutiful rests. If you have a car go to the Montomorency (spell?) Falls & over to the Isle d'Orlean (bridge over is near the falls) Just two great places if you have time to get out of the city itself. Our cruise had two days there & we just loved it city & countryside. We had a great lunch at a place just across from the Frontenac & had high tea at the Hotel--there's also a nice cocktail lounge in there with a view out..In the lower city there are also some nice places to eat.. as well. It wass just a great experience & we look forward to returning someday>
Old January 30th, 2005, 12:40 AM
First Mate

We are staying 2 nights at the Frontenac Hotel which sounds like the center of many places to see in Quebec City.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:50 AM
First Mate

I never received any answers to my posts. Now I'm asking again 5 months later - we will be in Quebec City on a Sunday. What is open and what is closed on Sunday?
Frank-in-CA
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Haze

Most of the tourist atttractions and stores will be open on Sunday. There is a funicular railway that joins the upper and lower town. it is a great way to access the upper and historic part off the city.
In the upper city you can walk the colbblestone streets. Quebec City is North America's only walled city and you can walk all along the wall with histoic artifacts along the route.
You can go onto the plains of Abraham where so much history of ancient battles is evident. A spectacular view is alos available right over the St. Lawrence River. It really is beautiful. The ship docks in the lower city and you can walk to the funicaular railway from the ship. it is about 10 minutes. As you are sailing in to Quebec city you see the magnificent Chateau Frontenac hotel high up on a cliff. it is quite a site. The hotel is very histoirc and you can walk all around its underground passage ways.
My husband and I have cruise this area 3 times and are booked again on Norwegain Jewel Sept 18/05. We absolutely love Quebec City. It really is a site to behold!
Enjoy
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Frank, I have been to Quebec City quite often over the past few years on land based travel. (I am doing a Montreal to Boston cruise this fall on the Maasdam). Haze is right about everything being open on Sunday. In fact, on Sunday, all of the Street Muscians are there along Terrasse Duffrin (The Boardwalk) and all over both upper town and lower town in the Old City.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:08 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the replies and info on Sunday activities. We leave from Quebec City and will be staying 2 nights at the Chateau Frontenac hotel.

I've also found a tour site at http://www.quebec-tours.com/ that has quite reasonable prices. Anyone have any experience with this outfit?
Frank-in-CA
Old September 18th, 2005, 03:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Y
Frank, I have been to Quebec City quite often over the past few years on land based travel. (I am doing a Montreal to Boston cruise this fall on the Maasdam). Haze is right about everything being open on Sunday. In fact, on Sunday, all of the Street Muscians are there along Terrasse Duffrin (The Boardwalk) and all over both upper town and lower town in the Old City.
As we will be in Quebec city for two evenings before boarding the Sea Princess, are there any recommendations for dinner? On one hand, we'll be eating pretty well for the next 12 days so we don't want to go overboard (pun intended) but if there is a place that shouldn't be missed or a good value, it sure would be appreciated.
Frank-in-CA
Old October 15th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I know this is a bit late, but one day you MUST have breakfast at Cosmos on the Grande Allees.....right next door to the Loews Le Concorde at the edge of Old Town Quebec. Breakfasts there are OUTSTANDING!!! I got the tip from a native Quebecer and was not disappointed! Things to see include the Citadel, the Plains of Abraham, a caleche tour around the old city........so much to see and do. I was there for one day and need to go back for a few more to see and do all!
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa
I know this is a bit late, but one day you MUST have breakfast at Cosmos on the Grande Allees.....right next door to the Loews Le Concorde at the edge of Old Town Quebec. Breakfasts there are OUTSTANDING!!! I got the tip from a native Quebecer and was not disappointed! Things to see include the Citadel, the Plains of Abraham, a caleche tour around the old city........so much to see and do. I was there for one day and need to go back for a few more to see and do all!
No, it is not too late as we leave on Friday. Thanks for the info. If breakfast is not included in our stay, we'll check that out.
Frank
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcat
Are you on Jewel or Constellation?
We are on the Constellation Oct. 5 out of Bayonne
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Beginner

Hi scaple,

Are you on the Constellation on October 2006?
Did you notice that the messages on this board are dated since 2005?
In any case, do you need help around Quebec city? I am from Quebec and I offer private tour for a full day in and around the city countryside for evertything you need to see.
Do do not hesistate to e-mail
armani1975@yahoo.com SUBJECT "Quebec City"