Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:32 PM
Beginner

Default NCL - Norwegian Jewel - 9/18 out of NYC - Anyone else?

Me and my better half are set to go on the NCL Norwegian Jewel to N.E./Canada for 11 days out of NYC on 9/18/05. Wondering if anyone else out there is going? Suggestions for excursions? NCL doesn't have any suggestions listed on their website and have never done N.E. before - my previous cruise was to Alaska out of Vancouver on RCL and my travel agent friend did everything for me - now I am on my own. Any definites to see along the way? Ports of call are Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Quebec, Syndey & St. John (in random order from memory). Thanks for any help in advance.

HMK8273
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:49 AM
gunner22a

Default Re: NCL - Norwegian Jewel - 9/18 out of NYC - Anyone else?

Don't know how long you have in Halifax but check out the Historic Properties on the waterfront. Lots of things to see and do in this old part of town. If you need a refreshment while you are wandering about Privateers Wharehouse is the place to stop. Enjoy Canada.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:30 PM
Lesley

Default Re: NCL - Norwegian Jewel - 9/18 out of NYC - Anyone else?

Hi!

My husband and I are booked on that cruise, too; this will be our first experience with NCL. We were wondering about cruise excursion choices, too. We've cruised with HAL several times and their excursions are always posted long before cruises.

Anyway, I called NCL and asked when they would be posting that info on their web site. They said those shore excursions would be "up in 3 weeks," so I guess we wait.

I did find a short list of their excursions at:

http://www.ncl.com/destinations/canew/index.htm

I've heard from several friends that "Peggy's Cove" is a definite must-see and that Halifax is "the place" to have a lobster dinner (quite reasonable).

I also have a friend who cruised this itinerary with NCL last year and, based on his experience, he and his wife are going back to Novia Scotia this summer for three weeks to stay in various "chalets" by the sea. That's a real recommendation!

Personally, I'm excited to see St. John, New Brunswick because my grandfather sailed into that port in 1914 when he immigrated from England.

Hope that helps...
Lesley

P.S. I found it helpful to download some of the shore excursions for Canada-New England cruises from Holland America's website. It has given me a "feel" for what there is to see in each port, even though they are not NCL's excursions (they're all similar). If you want to see in "living color" what we'll be seeing, HAL has a great 35-minute video "Canada & New England Cruises" that shows most of the places we'll be going. I have watched it several times already. If you want to spend $14.95, you can order that from HAL's website.

11/1974 ss Fairwind/Caribbean
07/2003 ms Volendam/Alaska Inside Passage
12/2003 Mississippi Queen/lower Mississippi River
10/2004 ms Westerdam/Mediterranean
09/2005 Norwegian Jewel/Canada-New England
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Karen Fager

Default Re: Re: NCL - Norwegian Jewel - 9/18 out of NYC - Anyone els

My husband and I will be on this cruise. We too are looking forward to NCL posting their excursions. All of the ports except Boston will be new to us. I have tried to do the pre registration on line but keep getting an error message. Have either of you had success?

Karen