Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2005, 07:14 PM
zniedda

Default New England/Canada Cruise

We are taking our first cruise to New England/Canada in October 2005. Since this is our first time to the Northeast, we are interested in knowing what you seasoned cruisers consider to be a must-see for these port of call:

Halifax, NS
St. John, Brunswick
Bar Harbor, ME
Newport, RI
Boston, MA

Thank all of you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: New England/Canada Cruise

We are going to New England/Canada 100105..3rd trip. Our favorite places have been Bar Harbor and Halifax. 1st time in Bar Harbor we just walked thru the town, 2nd time we did the Acadia/Lobsterbake (yum) this time I think we are going to rent a car and drive ourselves. Halifax 1st time we took a bus tour out to Peggy's Cove...in 2003 we rented a car and drove ourselves out there and then on the way back we stopped at a little restaurant for a wonderful lunch.....the little restaurant probably held 20 people at the most...very quaint. We have decided to rent a car again this year. Newport is very nice as well..dont remember alot about St John's. Boston, we did the duck tour in 2003 and we were very disappointed and wouldnt recommend it to anyone. Most of the trip was through the city and very little in the water and it was sooo cold...

No matter what you do, you wil enjoy it...take lots of pictures...
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Ginamarie

There are a lot of different excursion options in Canada/New England. In St. John, we took a tour that brought us on a short nature hike through a natural park, and then to a local bed and breakfast for tea and scones. In Halifax we took a tour on one of those amphibious vehicles. Next time we go to Halifax, I will not be booking anything through the cruiseline, because all of the tour operators are within immediate walking distance from the pier, and about half the price if you book directly with the tour operators. Our favorite part about Halifax though was getting a lobster lunch! If you like lobster, DO NOT MISS getting some fresh lobster in Halifax. We've had a lot of good lobsters, but nothing as good as we had in Halifax. Plus, it was CHEAP!
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:38 PM
April N

Default Re: Re: New England/Canada Cruise

Thank you for your advice, it is most appreciated!
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:32 PM
Admiral

We are in the early stages of planning for next year. I love lighthouses and would like route recommendations that I could see and visit as many as possible. Suggestions?

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 2nd, 2005, 03:50 PM
jmorse

I live in New Hampshire, thought I could give you some local advise. What I like to do in in Boston is Faneuil Hall also k/a Quincy Market. It is in the heart of downtown close to water. Real feel for Boston, good food, nice area to walk around, lots of locals, vendors selling fresh veges, fruits etc.street entertainment. The Museum of Science is close by as well as the New England Aquarium. All worth a visit.
For Bar Harbor, the Acadia National Park is the place to be. Beautiful views, places to stop and be alone if you like, wade in the water (COLD), definately need a car. Nothing in New England is close together. Enjoy your visit.