Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default Canada/New England - best times???

We are looking into Canada/New England for our next cruise. Can anyone tell me when the best times are for color and/or whale watching? Not concerned about the temperature. We've been to Alaska and I love the cold weather - as long as I'm prepared for it :-) Thank you!

Island Princess - Hawaii
February 2005

Pacific Princess - Alaska
June 2003
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Ginamarie

Default Re: Canada/New England - best times???

October! That's when the leaves will be beautiful. The weather should still be good (although the beginning of the month is still prime for hurricanes).
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Amadna

I live in NewEngland. Come anytime in the fall. Late august (very warm), october( trees are changeing)
feel free to email me
Old March 24th, 2005, 02:19 PM
kcusick

Depends. I'm from NE too. If your cruise is primarily Canada and Northern NE, then early September for the foliage. By October, it's all gone there. If your going to Southern NE, seeing Martha's Vinyard, etc. then around October 8 or so is peek foliage. The cost of your cruise is reflective of the peek foliage season and cruises during those times sell out quickly. Recently I inquired about a September 2005 sail from Boston to Montreal on HAL. It's completely sold out!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
Parrot Mom

September ia good time... if there is going to be a storm in the Caribbean it means that the ships heading north are safe..
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Passenger

I'd say July/August if you want to see whales
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:43 PM
JD

We are going to be there the first week in Oct. What will the weather be like?
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Haze

We will be on our fourth Canada New England cruise Sept 18-29.
Last year we cruised this area in August during the last two weeks. No colours but lots of Whales in The entrance to the Saguenay river. The other cruises were all mid to late September. so much depends on the weather preceeding the time of your cruise as to whether or not the colours will have started to change.
Old July 12th, 2005, 08:57 AM
mrsox

Default Re: Re: Canada/New England - best times???

We live in Vermont and in re: to seeing the best foliage in the VT/NH/ME area, the first week or two in October is usually when the leaves are at their peak. BUT...this all depends on the annual temps/rainfall etc. so one can never predict it to a tee. So, to be safe I'd say anytime from late Sept-mid October. Temps should still be relatively comfortable during the day...60's if the sun is out and at night it will be nice and crisp....bring a fleece jacket.

Have fun...there is nothing better than autumn in New England! Be sure to eat lots of fresh seafood, Mcintosh apples, apple cider donuts, pumpkin butter, maple syrup, freshly pressed apple cider, local cheeses etc...yum!

-Angie
Old July 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM
First Mate

We are doing the last sailing of the season on the Sea Princess as the ship repositions itself for the Caribbean. We start in Quebec City on October 24th and end up in Fort Lauderdale on November 5th. We know it will be cool in the north and the leaves will be gone but I prefer longer cruises and 7 days doesn't cut it. Even 12 days is a tad short for me. We will spend 2 days in Quebec City prior to embarking. I don't like to fly cross country for a short cruise.

As far as warm weather cruising goes, we'll be back in Fort Lauderdale in March to once again sail the Sea Princess, this time a 14 day Caribbean cruise that does not stop in one of the larger tourist traps of the Caribbean - St. Thomas. Hopefully this hurricane season won't be too destructive, mainly for the people and their property, but selfishly for us, to be able to experience the ports as they should be. We haven't cruised the Caribbean in about 10 years.
Frank-in-CA