Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Clint Leung

Default Any Canadian Gifts & Art Onboard?

I'm just wondering if there are any Canadian gifts and artwork at the retail stores on the cruiseships that sail to Canada.

Clint
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:40 PM
Haze

Default Re: Any Canadian Gifts & Art Onboard?

We have sailed this itinery 3 times and have jusst booked it for a fouth time on NCL on the new ship JEWEL.
We have done it on cCunard, Hal and previusly on NCL. HAve never seen any Canadain gifts or srt work on board. If you are calling at Quebec city it is a fest of art and gifts there.
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:38 AM
First Mate

haze

it sounds like you love to go too this area and on different ships. i am the same way about alaska on the carnival spirit. can you tell me why you like ncl so much and how it compares to other ships you have sailed on. ncl intrigs me, but i have never sailed on a '' free-style '' cruise so i dont know if i would like it or not. i absolutely am going to go to canada/new england but i am twisted on what ship and itinery to take. i have a year to do my planning ( i love the research and reading all i can almost as much as the cruise itself ) ( grinning ), so there is plenty of time to learn all i can about the different lines and stops they make. please share your cruise experience for this cruise and on the ncl. i would love to hear about it. thanks so much.

also if i will be doing the fall folaige, how important is a balcony. i have read that some say yes, others say it is a waste of money. i think yes, but am a novice cruiser so i am in a delema here also. wow, i need help huh?

i hope i am not asking too many ?'s, but i would love to hear all about it.

Old June 9th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Haze

Default Re: Re: Any Canadian Gifts & Art Onboard?

hello there,
It is not that we like NCL but the price was right and we thought we would like to try a new ship. We really like the itinery. We actually love cunard the best. The ship we did it on is not around any more. it was the Caronia.. We did enjoy maasdam last year also. With NCL we have been on an older ship with this itienery which was Norwegian Sea.
WE have mixed feelings about freestyle cruising. We like not having to get dressed for dinner all the time. However, we found that we never got to know anyone because you were never at the same table twice. WE take the itinery over the ship. I must remember to make a report on it. The ship this time is brand new and hits the water in August. We have seen some pictures on the internet so we will have to wait and see what the experience is lie, I would advise you to chose an itienery that includes Quebec City. If you have not been there you will be awe steuck. It is North America's only walled city. Yu will think you are in a part of Europe. It is steeped in history. There are cobblestone streets everywhere. There is an upper and lower town accessed by a funicular railway.
Also makie sure the ship is going up the Saguenay Fjord. That is alos spectacualr. You will see whales and spectacular scenary. Fall foilage depends on timing. We have not seen a lot of foilage and we have done it in early October, mid and late December.
I don;t think I woul drreccommend a balcony but that is up to you. I have only had one once on a Carribean cruise. I enjoyed it there but the weather will not be real warm for you in the Fall.
If you have any more quetions, i would be glad to answer them.
Old June 10th, 2005, 12:36 AM
First Mate

haze
what a wonderful helpful reply. thank you so much. i am finding out that the itineraries are very different and it is going to be tough to know which route to take. i have heard so much about martha's vineyard the places you have mentioned. i am leaning towards the ship ( as you do ) that has the itinery that interest me the most. since i have only been on carnival it will be kind of scary to try another line but i can tell from the reveiws that i wont be dissapointed, which every one i pick. and i will definetely keep quebeck city and sequenay fjord in mind.

you have been a great help. and i will keep the balcony choice in mind. if it saves money on the ship that would be more expensive or have the longer cruise and ports i really want i might forgo it this time.

thanks again. i cant wait to do some more research.

have a wonderful time on the jewel and i will be looking for a reveiw when you get back.

Old July 15th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Parrot Mom

If your going to Halifax as you step off the ship to the terminal there are all sorts of shops and crafts available.. Or if you walk along the lovely meandering boardwalk there are artisans set up there with paintings, jewelry, etc... and of course one of the best souveniers is the memory you will have of the people in Halifax and St. John if your going there.. If your heading to St. John let me know.there is a fabulous lobster shack along the water front..
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:28 PM
JD

Default Re: Re: Any Canadian Gifts & Art Onboard?

I am curious.....what is the name of the lobster shack in Halifax? We will be there in Oct.