Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Saguenay Fjord - Maasdam

I am booked on the Maasdam in September and am a little confused about something. Does this ship actually go up the Saguenay Fjord? I thought that it did, but the way that the day at sea is stated leads me to believe that they are just talking about cruising the St Lawrence, rather than actually cruising up the Saguenay Fjord which is a Fjord that empties into the St Lawrence at Tadoussac, Quebec.

Old June 5th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Haze

Default Re: Saguenay Fjord - Maasdam

Hello,
Yes the ship acrtaullay goes op the Saguenay Fjord. it is a beautiful trip. We were on it last yeare. You will see whales at the entrance to the fjord. They come so close to the ship. there is a narrator on bouars who will tell you where to look for whales and natures beauty spots. It is spectaculat. Depending on when you are doing it you might see us. We like this itienery so much we are doing it for the fourthe time in Sept.
We are Sept 18-29th on norwegian. We thought we would try their new ship Norwegain Jewel Last year we did Maasdam and liked the ship very much. It is an older style ship but full of ambiance and character. I am sure you will love it. You will love Quebec city whihc is a port of call. it is North America's only walled city and dates back many centuries. EVen the entrance to the port there is beautiful.
Enjoy your cruise
Old June 5th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for the information, Haze! I have been to Quebec many times for the past 5 years but have never cruised up the Saguenay Fjord. I did a whale watching tour one time when I was in Tadoussac and saw lots of whales and also the entrance to the fjord. But we didn't go up into the fjord. Actually, I all of my trips have been land-based so far. I decided to do something different this time and cruise. You are right, Quebec City is wonderful! Now I am trying to decide which of my favorite places I want to have lunch while we are in port. . I will look for your ship. My cruise is Sept 17 - 24, Montreal to Boston.

Old June 12th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Haze

Linda,
Here is our ship itinery:
Se[t 18 Lvs New York
Sept 19 Arr Boston
Sept 20 arrive Bar harbour
Se[t21 arrive Halifax
Sept 22 cruise
Sept23 arr Quebec city
SDep[t 24 cruise
Sept 25 arr Sydney
Sept 26 cruise
Sept 27 arr St. John New Brunswick
Sept 28 cruise
Sept 29 arr New York

Hpefully our ships will pass. I know what to look for with the Maasdam having been o it last year.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Haze,
It appears that our ships will pass each other around Nova Scotia.
My itinerary is:
Depart from Montreal Sept 17
Quebec City Sept 18
Cruising Sept 19
Charlottetown, PEI Sept 20
Sydney Nova Scotia Sept 21
Halifax Sept 22
Bar Harbor Sept 23
Boston Sept 24.

I will definitely look for your ship. I love seeing what the new ships look like.
Have a great trip. Your itinerary sounds wonderful too.

Old July 30th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Cathy Kearns

On our 7/2 cruise on the Maasdam they skipped sailing up the Saguenay Fjord due to engine troubles, just couldn't do that and get to Sydney. Hopefully the engine will be fixed by your cruise.