Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
First Mate

Default canada/new england-im so confused about a balcony

first let me say i know it is all a matter of preference on a cabin choice and there is no way of knowng what the weather will be like so far in advance. so i am just asking for past cruisers experiences in this area with '' a balcony or not question '' in general.

i am in the planning stages of this cruise i have dreamed about for a long time. we want to do the fall folaige cruise. i had a taste of my first balcony this may for my alaska glacier bay cruise and now could not imagine going to anything except a balcony from now on.

but i have read post that in the first part of oct the balconys sometimes cannot be used very much because of the weather. i wanted to get a balcony at the very aft of the ship for the best veiws, but if a oceonview will be just as good i will go with that. it will be on the carnival triumph. i dont want to rob myself of the spectacular veiws but will the balcony be of any good, or can i just set back on one of the lounges and be just as happy? I NEED CABIN CHOOSING HELP.

any experiences good or bad about balconies on this cruise in late sept/early oct will be greatly appiciated. i need help. the difference between a oceonview and blacony is of no matter too me. i just want the best cabin for this cruise.

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:00 PM
PapBill

Default Re: canada/new england-im so confused about a balcony

In the fall you may find sitting out on the balconey to be a bit cold and windy. With luck maybe you will encounter an Indian Summer. You will want to check your "fall foliage cruise" itinerary closely. Cruising New England and Canada is not usually like cruising the inside passage . You are rarely , if at all , going to be cruising within sight of land, never mind close enough to enjoy fall foliage cruising from a balconey.
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:47 AM
First Mate

papabill

thanks for your honest opinion on the balcony. perhaps we should just set our minds too a oceanview. i am really dissapointed about being out to far too see any land. i thought we would be able to see all the trees in vermont and the rest of the way up as we passed by. i am sorry that i am wrong in that idea of the cruise then i guess. so in order to see the leaves and the beautiful colors in the fall folaige cruise you must see the treees in the ports you stop at? is that correct? it will still be worth the trip so i can see that wonderful side of the country and canada. thanks for the help.

Old June 17th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Admiral

With little exception, the foliage part will come during your time ashore. Don't let me talk you out of the balconey. It is still nice to have coffee on the balconey at sea , sit quietly and watch the blue water go by in the afternoon and peak out to the stars from your own private space in the evening.
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:13 AM
First Mate

papabill

i can just see myself now out on the balcony with my coffee and danish or a nice glass of wine. and i cant wait to see all the natural beauty of the ports. i am still going to get the balcony and really enjoy this trip.

Old June 17th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Familiar Face

We have cruised the Mississippi, Alaska and the Mediterranean with a balcony and have only cruised once to the Caribbean without one (our first cruise when we were very young). Even though we had lovely, large suites with lots of square footage on our later cruises, we were ALWAYS GLAD we had somewhere we could step out to and get a breath of fresh air or just "feel" the wonderful expanse of the ocean whenever we felt like it. My husband is 6' 6" and he especially enjoyed having a balcony to "expand" to.

There is just nothing like an ocean breeze, even if it's a chilly one! And it's nice to enjoy one in your robe and slippers if you feel like it. Kind of hard to do that if you have to go outside your room to go on deck.

Even if it were a middle-of-winter cruise across the Atlantic, we would definitely have a balcony!!

Bon voyage,
Lesley

2003 Mississippi Queen
2004 HAL Westerdam
2005 Norwegian Jewel
2007 Norwegian Sun
2009 HAL Westerdam
2010 RCI Vision Of The Seas
2011 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
2014 Norwegian Jewel
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM
First Mate

luths2

yes, you are right. i have decided the extra money is worth it too have a balcony. so, we are definetely going to go for it and get one. it will be great and i can almost see myself setting on it now thanks to your reply. oh, i want to go now!!

Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:45 AM
JUGL11

Having been to Alaska, you have already enjoyed the best cruise there is. Balcony on that trip is more important than on the Canada cruise. NE/Canada might be a disappointment after Alaska. You'll be too far from shore to see anything most of the time.

Also, our experience with the balcony on the Carnival Victory last year was not a good one. Our neighbors chain-smoked, & it was impossible for us to sit out when they were around. The response from Carnival was basically "tough luck, suckers!"

That's just 1 reason why I'm never cruising on Carnival again.
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM
hcat

loved our balcony esp Saguenay River to see the whales & scenery--yes you could see it from elsewhere on the ship but we like our balcony!
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Passenger

We have been on this cruise twice, the 1st time was an inside cabin and the 2nd time with a balcony....balcony was the best.. we have been to Alaska as well, and the balcony was a must, but so was the New England cruise, we are going next year and there will be no doubt. we will have a balcony...

Old September 1st, 2005, 06:03 PM
Passenger

Here is my 2 cents :
We have cruise to NE/Can many times{will be leaving again on Sep 5} and had a balcony once. It was mid Oct when we went{the balcony was a free upgrd}. The weather was overcast everyday. I think it might of drizzled on and off. It was very cold on the balcony ,what with the Oct weather and the wind from the ship{which would be much worse{wind} if you are near the front}-so we would go out for a few mins than come back in. We didnt really use the balcony . It was just too cold to sit out there for any length of time. As for scenary , you dont see much at sea. We now go for either inside or outside cabins{depending on the prices} for NE/CAN cruises and will save for the balcony when we go on a Carrib. cruise.

hope this helps.

JC
Old September 5th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just did a ne/canda cruise had a balcony. not he first time, and much later in the season it was great .