Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Cheryl & Ricky

Default transfers in NYC

We are going on Golden Princess in October, out of New York. Will fly in the day of departure so we could use the ship's transfers (from airport to ship) then, but wondered what other options were out there for us? We are spending a night in New York the day we return, so ship transfers won't work for us that day. Suggestions for transfers from the pier to a hotel? We haven't booked air yet...so could fly into LGA or JFK either one.

From what I have read, seems a taxi could be the mostly costly,depending on the traffic we encounter.
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: transfers in NYC

From the pier to a hotel you would have three options. 1) walk- Not that terrible depending on where your hotel is. With wheeled luggage and a midtown destination, you might only be walking 4 or 5 blocks. 2) taxi - NY taxis are not as expensive as other places I have been . They are not cheap either, but you can't spend that much. 3) private car service.. Arrange in advance to be picked up by a car service. They usually use Lincolns or Mercury Marquis type vehicles and charge by the hour. The driver will generally meet you outside the luggage pick up. They will generally ask you to call and confirm a pick up time (use a cell phone from the ship).
Enjoy your NY stay.
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Cheryl & Ricky

Thank you!
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:39 AM
CruzCrazy

It's a little more to get a taxi from NYC to JFK so you might want to consider LaGuardia.

There are shuttle vans that will pick you up at your hotel but they also pick up others as well. Look into that as well. Might be cheaper to take a taxi to the airport. Check with your hotel.

The port of NY is a little unorganized, so a limo pickup would be the most convenient. To get a cab can take up to one hour if there are many ships coming in at the same time. They give you a ticket with a number and you have to wait at the curb till your number is called.

If your hotel in in the 12th to 10th Avenue vicinity you could walk to the hotel, anything further you might want to be picked up.
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Beginner

Cheryl and Rick We are also sailing out of NYC. I have a number at home for a wonderful limo service you can call. I will get the number and get back to you. We are also staying over Oct 9-10 and getting back to LGA.
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Admiral

The most we paid from the Airport to the hotel. (Renaissance): was 40 dollars.

From there to the pier was 30 ish. (sat in traffic for 30 minutes also)

No big deal really!!
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Beginner

We just got back from this cruise last Saturday. We flew into JFK. Do not take the ship transfer! Taxi from JFK is $45 flat rate plus tolls (which were $4.50) and tip for both of you -- cheaper than the ship transfers. Also took taxi back to JFK when returned -- this was not a flat rate but on the meter, so would apply also to your hotel -- was $44 plus tolls (4.00) and tip. Both trips took a little over half an hour -- remember it's Saturday morning -- not much traffic! Also see my post about the FREE shuttle bus in Bar Harbor to visit Acadia Nat'l Park, instead of taking ship tours. Hope this helps.
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Beginner

Default use express walk off

To avoid the taxi problem at the ship terminal when you get back (waiting in line etc) use the Golden Princess option of express walk-off. You take your luggage off the ship. You are the FIRST ones off. Considering if you do the traditional way of putting the luggage in the hall the night before, finding it in a zoo of people, and then need to take it yourself anyway to the taxi stand, it is a LOT less hassel just to take it off yourself. (Don't overpack haha). We did this and got a taxi right away -- no waiting.
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Beginner

super shuttle has a booth et JFK & the charge is $56 to the port round trip. you can go to thier website wwwsupershuttle.com .or just go to the booth. :

jean
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I hate to say it, but since I grew up in NYC, no matter what decision you make, expect to pay $50-$75 (range only). Cabs are expensive, limo's are expensive, it just plain sucks.

NYC is expensive. Restaurants (ever pay $7 for a slice of pizza? $11 for a salad?), drinks (paid $18 once for a beer). It's just the economy of the city.

And with time...its going to get worse. 50 years from now the only people left in the Northeast will be the rich people. Smart people like me & many others will head South or move out West.

I hate to see what the cruise lines pay for Port fees.