Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Big Pete

Default Favorite itinerary? Help please!

I'm trying to plan a cruise for my 10th anniversary and would love some opinions on the best 7 to 11-day Canada/New England cruise for late Sept./early Oct. My wife and I took a Princess cruise to Eastern Caribbean for our honeymoon and LOVED it. We want to explore a different place this time, and cool weather is welcome (we live in hot North Carolina). What are your favorite ships, ports, sites, shore excursions? I'm interested in Halifax, Saguenay River, whale sighting, Quebec, fall foliage, exploring. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Haze

Default Re: Favorite itinerary? Help please!

Hello,
We will be on our fourth Canada new England excurison Sept 19-29th this year. We absolutely love this itinery! WE have cruised the area on Cunard Caronia (no longer owned by Cunard) Norwegian Sea, HAL Maasdam. this year it is a new Norwegian ship. The Jewel which actually makes its maiden voyage August 10th this year.

On eof our favoutite places on this itinery is Quebec city. it is North America's onbly walled city. It is steeped in history, full of cobblestone streets and many artisans
presenting their art works. You can actually walk beside and on parts of the historic wall. There is an upper and lower city accessed by a funicualr rail car. When the s;hip docks, you look up and see the magnificent old Chateau Frontenac hotel. There is a beautiful board walk that goies in fron to og the hotel and over tho the Plains of Abraham where Montcalm and wolfe batteled it out so many decades ago.

The voayge up the Saguenay Fjord is also beautiful The whales are usually very much in abundance at the entrance of the fjord. Last year they were so close to the ship. There is usually a commentator on board who will narrate for you and you know when to watch for whales and the beautiful scenerey.

WE also enjoy Halifax. The ship docks at Pier 21 hich has a wonderful exhibit on the history of everyone who emigrated from Euroipe andpassed thorugh the prot. we were able to get copies of the origianl record of the passage of my husband's mother when she was 19 years old. She is now 97!
The Halifax historic properties are all along the waterfront. There is a bourdwalk that you can walk along and a series of lovely boutique type shops and restaurants.
The cruise lines usually offer a trip to Peggy's Cove which is one of the most picturesque Canadain viallages whith an old historic lighthouse. There is a place there where you can get fresh lobster.

I hpe this helps. I would be glad to answer any other questions you might have.
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Big Pete

Default Re: Re: Favorite itinerary? Help please!

Thank you Haze!
Your info is very helpful.
Would you recommend a balcony?
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Haze

Default Re: Favorite itinerary? Help please!

hello again.
I think a balcony is up to you. We find that we spend most o our time on deck because that iis where we like to be so we have not had a balcony on this itinery. We have had both outside and inside cabin. this time we are going with inside.Abalcony would actually be nice for the trip up the Saguenay river into the Fjord. In thislocale absolutely everyone is out on deck trying to see everything. You would have your own private viewing point. It would also be nice for you to have that viewing point for the trip up the Stl Lawrence river into Quebec City.
You know, I think I am saying YES! Go for it..

I just noticed i made a typing error on the date of this year's cruise for us. it is Sept 18-29 11 days out of New York.
Last year we took HAL Maasdam and did a back to back. We boarded in montreal Quebec (we are Canadian) and did not disembark in boston with everyone else. We returned to Montreal so the cruising time was 14 days for us .

I hope this helps you also.
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Big Pete

Default Re: Re: Favorite itinerary? Help please!

Thanks again Haze!
I appreciate the advice. I''ve decided to do the balcony. We had one on our first cruise and we found it especially useful late at night when we would sit out there and just stare out at the miles and miles of empty ocean lit up by the moon. That made it worth every penny. I know it will be much colder at night on this trip, but I grew up in New Hampshire, so no big deal.
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Haze

Default Re: Re: Re: Favorite itinerary? Help please!

Yes it will be much cooler in the evening and during the day also. But it is a lovely cruise.
I wish you both much enjoyment on your cruise.