Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Do you know there are no Red Lobsters in N.E..although you just might find one in R.I....there is a story about a press opening in N.H. and the owner asked one of the reviewers what it thought of it...the story goes that his comment on the food was so terrible that the restaurant never opened to the public..lol Portland.. great walking place.. too..there is a L.L. Bean on the Main Street and I think you may need a cab to get to the City Market.. where you can have lo bster sandwiches made and sit at a table.. it is an actual city market.. and many Maine products are sold there.like the famous Stonewall Kitchen products and see if you can find The Jelley Maker's Daughter.. her old fashioned pepper jelly... The Old Port is a great place for walking around and trying all the ales.. i can't imagine having a bad lobster in Maine.. Don't know much about Sydney.it's a big city...and there is a fort there, but that's about all I know.. it wouldn't be a "must" on my list.
Old June 10th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Boston is a walkable city....If you really want to see Boston and I even as a born and bred Bostonian was amazed... the Duck Tour should not be missed.. You can do it yourself, it's just getting into downtown Boston. What surprised me is a comment made by a fellow cruiser who thought that Boston was clean and there was no graffiti...never thought of that.. As for shopping try our "Rodeo Drive"...Newbury Street...lots of side walk restaurants..Le Familia is a nice one.. moderate..very arty and sophisticated street...(read that as $$)...lol Stand on a corner with a map and most likely you'll get help from a local.. and yes, Cheers is on Beacon Hill...and is a great tourist site..
Hi Parrot Mom,
Do you think it is necessary to go on-line and buy tickets for the 10:AM departure of the Duck Tour from the Prudential Center, or can one wait to get a ticket when they get there. Sail Date Oct. 5 our of Bayonne and Boston day is Sat. Oct 7th. I was concerned that it might be crowded on a Sat unless we purchased 4 adult tickets in advance.
What do you think?
======================================
Our plan to get to Prudential from Black Falcon Pier is The Subway:
Take SILVER LINE to SOUTH STATION and transfer to the RED LINE going in bound. Get off at Park St and transfer to the “E? Car of the GREEN LINE and get off at Prudential.
Any estimate on how long in time that would take?
Do you need exact change on the Subway?
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default DUCK TOURS

Antron,
Thanks for starting this thread and getting Parrot Mom to give out all this information. Experience is the best teacher.
See this link for Duck tours if it comes up.
http://www.affiliate.viator.com/broc...DUCK&AUID=4446
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:45 PM
First Mate

i have decided to do the 3 lighthouse tour with the ship in portland. that is the only tour i am going to book before i get to the ports. i am searching for unique things in the shops and great places to eat ( both of which i am sure i wont have any trouble finding ). i cant wait to get there and relax on the ship and in the ports. my poor ole body is pretty tired from working almost 60 hrs a week in a warehouse and i need this vacation badly. im under 3 months now so it is getting closer.

please keep any chit-chat coming about boston, portland, saint john new brunswick and halifax. i am reading everything i can about these cities.
Old June 17th, 2006, 03:52 PM
First Mate

Default a '' thow-in '' OT post

hi all of you. i just thought i would set down for a moment and say good saturday and find out what is going on here on the boards.

thank heaven i have today off. i am frantic in getting ready for my brother from arizona too come and stay with me for a week on monday ( i am the oldest of 7 ). our family is having a wonderful military wedding on the 24th. my sisters son is in the marines and based in japan, he is uniting with a fantastic young lady next saturday. so all of my brothers/sisters, neices and nephews from all over the u.s. are coming here for the wedding and a good ole family reunion. also my mothers birthday is on the 24th, it is going to be a fantastic and fun time but very busy. and too top it off my nephew who is getting married will be congratulating his younger brother for graduating from the marines last week. he is home also on leave and we are having a cook-out open house for him tomorro at my sisters. i feel like i am a chicken with my head cut off doing all my cleaning, cooking ( i actually have to cook food ) for the food-feeds and shopping for things. oh i forgot, i will also be going to the airport at different times to help pick up family members . i have taken this week off so i can enjoy everybody being here. do you think with all this running around i will loose some weight ?? . after all this is over i can concentrate on what i am going to put in the suitcase for the cruise in sept. it will be a great way to relax after the busy summer events.

thanks everybody for letting me '' vent '' about all my things i am in the middle of. it will all be worth it too have everyone here and give my nephew and his new bride a wonderful time while he is home on leave. we all took a vote and decided we would let them have one day alone hahaha. just kidding they are going to go to new york and try to find an apartment for themselfs for when he gets out of the marines in 7 months.

have to go now. later and have a good day.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Yeoman

hi antron. i will let you in on what i have plans for on the cruise you will be on.

in boston i going to go too salem and marblehead to see the '' witch burning '' villages. then when i get back in town i hope to get to cheers and the market to check things out. i have a friend who collects t-shirts and that is the #1 thing i am supposed to pick up there for her.

portland -- i am going to do the lighthouse tour with the ship. i will be able to get back in plenty of time to get a real maine lobster in one of the eateries, do some shopping and wander around for awhile.

in halifax i am going to take the whale watch/nature tour with murphy's on the water. i love the whales and take a tour to see them whenever i can.

saint john, nb is going to be a total day of just shopping, wandering around or get back on the ship to enjoy the pool or hot-tub when it is not too crowded. these are the days also that you can get some deals at the spa.

i am going to love this cruise and cant wait to go. i only have 60 days to go ( but who is counting ).

have a great time on your cruise. i know i will on mine.
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Default Sights in NE-St. John

Don't know where to start....or end.,.lol First of all...sadly there has been a tragic accident in Boston in the new tunnel... so traffic and around the pier will or can be pretty heavy.., Hopefully they will open the tunnel within the week There are two St. Johns and I can't remember which one.. but I'm pretty sure your going to the one that I adore..Let's start there...When you arrive in St, John you will be greeted by the Lord Mayor. the women get a rose and the men a pin. There are all litte table set up on the pier.. A free bus will take you to downtown..You can pay ? and go to the Reversing Falls...and if your body is strong enough take a wild ride...Climb down the steps and take the ferry back and in the little area you can see all the harbor seals.. When you get back to the tourist area there are all sorts of pubs where you can sit and people watch..Up the hill is the City Market... a block or two away... and it's an interesting little place to pick up Canadian or english products.. Now here is the best part.... When you walk back to the ship and it's more than do-able..on the left hand side set back is a lobster shack..Need I say more!! In St. John and the tourist area are three restaurants owned by one family and this one is owned by one of the brothers...In thetourist building/shopping. there is another where if your celebrating your birthday you can win a free lunch or drink.
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Default Boston-Salem

Hi..The Witches Museum brings hundreds of cruisers up to Salem. But, I'll let you guys in a big secret... The best thing in Salem....is the Essex Salem Museum...I know.. museums can be boring...not this one..One thing of interest in this museum which has been redone and drawing thousands And thousands.. is a chinese house brought over piece by piece and re-assembled in the museum... I loved the movie that depicted the story about it.. Since your on a tour... I'm not sure how long you will have...There are several museums there by the way..
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Default Halifax

A very favorite city... when you get off the ship there will be booths with all sorts of help of renting cars etc, Walk along the boardwalk.. and you can walk to Murphys... the whale watching from there must be new...The boardwalk is new and meanders around local boats offering whale watching..and local artisans offering paintings,, jewelry, etc. Plus if your lucky there maybe somebody playing local music. I still say you should all go to the graves of the Titanic...and the Citadel.. If it's raining there is a City Market.. I've just found that out.. there is a main street downtown where I've never seen so many pubs...so you might walk around there and trying all the new brands..
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Default Parrot Mom is Off

well, as you all head towards Boston,Halifax, St. John and Sydney (I know nothing)... is off to Bermuda from Boston on September 10th.. UNLESS Bermuda is hit by a hurricane and I'll be meeting up with you people at these ports..lol
Have a wonderful time.. by the way if you need more info write me at parrotmom@comcast.net
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Yeoman

hi parrot mom. thanks for the great tips about the ports i will be in. you have let me know things i didnt before. the free bus is going to be great for getting around and all the shopping and '' eating '' is tops on my list of things to do . i hope you have a great cruise and let us know all about it when you get home.
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Default Cruise

this is our 11th trip on the Majesty to Bermuda...and just discovered this on the Bermuda Gazette site.

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/...NESS/107120132
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
First Mate

hi too all. i have been away being very busy at work and doing things on the week-end.

a miracle has happened--my foot dr has given me the cortizone shots and inflamitory medicine that has made my bad foot feel like new. yippppeeee. i can walk again without it hurting and not having to walk on the side of my foot instead of the ball of it. now i can wander around the ports and spend more time at a leaisurly pace on my own than i thought. it is going to be great to just take in the local sites and shop at my will and not depend on transportation to get me around. i am going to have a great time and cant wait for the next 3 weeks to go by. i am really looking forward to the lobster and all the sites and history the area has to offer.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Default Glad to hear all is better wiht your foot

That should make your getting around even all the better Antron.

I will be getting on the VICTORY while you are getting off. I have been reading allot of not so favorable comments about the VICTORY and staff lately. I am so hoping that I will be one of those 5 star raters that had an absolute wonderful time...... .

Have a great trip and post a review when you are back and rested.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Victory 7-day cruise to N.E./Canada from NYC Sept 23

Hi Antron and Alexis!
Me and DH also going to NE/Canada on the Victory. Leaving on his birthday Sept 23rd. As Antron finishes his cruise, Alexis will be starting hers, and I presume of course that's on Sept 16th.....As Alexis is getting off I will be embarking.....and so it goes!

I am anxious to read review from Antron, re negatives on the Victory, as Alexis mentioned; since she and I are going to be in transit on the 23rd, I won't have a chance to see her reviews, but I hope she surely does get to post a 5-star review based on her experience. (in other words.....I hope your trip is the best ever!) I too have read mixed reviews on the Victory, but not all cruisers share the same opinion when it comes to service and my experience with any cruise has been that the staff is as nice to you as you are to them!......If I ever get the feeling that I am not receiving the quality of service I am paying for with a reputable company, I will not hesitate to address the issue immediately while still on the ship! Don't hesitate to speak up if you are dissatisfied with any level of comfort you expect to receive.....or if anyone treats you with less respect than you deserve! And, before you reach home port you can adjust the "tip" amounts accordingly by going to the Guest Relations or Purser's desk the night before you dock. Some staff members presume the automatic tip inclusion in your payment is "automatically" coming to them and they may have the attitude that they don't don't have to work at their job.....you have control at all times...use it if you must!

We always cash tip a small percentage up-front to cabin stewards and table waiters first or second day of the cruise and let them know that if they keep up the good work.....we will be generous on the last day as well, aside from the usual auto pay amounts. It works for us and we are never disappointed at the personal service we receive. We even brought a collapsing cooler on our Carib. cruise in June and every day our steward filled the cooler with ice for our day trips!

Have a wonderful foliage cruise.....I will order great weather for both of you! (as if!). Looking forward to feedback.....Donna from NYC

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not really wasted at all" ~ John Lennon
Carnival Victory to N/E & Canada 7 days
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:01 AM
First Mate

thanks for the hooraaayyy about my foot. i have this syst that keeps coming back in the ball of my foot and it is so painful. but we caught this one in time for me to feel like i have a normal foot, so i will be doing all the walking i want in the ports. i am prepared to look at the layout of the victory very close so i can find my way around as easily as possible. and i will be totally honest, any cooking compared to my own is heaven and i know i will love it. i am going solo, so i will be relaxing in a good chair by the window watching the water go by and just totally relaxing. i think if you look for faults in any thing you will find them. i will not be looking for anything that might not up to a 5 star rating because i know that there is no way that is going to be a reality. but i love carnival and i know i am going to have a great time. i think for the first time i will take the automatic $70 tip off my bill. i dont drink at the bars and i never see the maitradee ( spelling ) , but i plan on gifvng my room steward a $20 at the beginning and end of the cruise and i will tip the waiters in the dining room well if i get good service.

i will write a reveiw when i get home. i will be staying with family for a week after the cruise so it will not be right when i get off the ship that i will be able to post it. i know all of us are going to have a wonderful time.
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by antron
thanks for the hooraaayyy about my foot. i have this syst that keeps coming back in the ball of my foot and it is so painful. but we caught this one in time for me to feel like i have a normal foot, so i will be doing all the walking i want in the ports. i am prepared to look at the layout of the victory very close so i can find my way around as easily as possible. and i will be totally honest, any cooking compared to my own is heaven and i know i will love it. i am going solo, so i will be relaxing in a good chair by the window watching the water go by and just totally relaxing. i think if you look for faults in any thing you will find them. i will not be looking for anything that might not up to a 5 star rating because i know that there is no way that is going to be a reality. but i love carnival and i know i am going to have a great time. i think for the first time i will take the automatic $70 tip off my bill. i dont drink at the bars and i never see the maitradee ( spelling ) , but i plan on gifvng my room steward a $20 at the beginning and end of the cruise and i will tip the waiters in the dining room well if i get good service.

i will write a reveiw when i get home. i will be staying with family for a week after the cruise so it will not be right when i get off the ship that i will be able to post it. i know all of us are going to have a wonderful time.
Antron,
A cyst in the bottom of the foot is not common and should be easily cured.
On the other hand a plantar neuroma is a different story and sounds like your problem. A plantar wart can sometimes be difficult and recur. This feels like you are walking with a rock in your shoe.
I suppose you have had steroid injections also which sometimes help.
At presebt you seem good to go. Congratulations.
Nothing can mess up a good cruise more than a painful foot.
Metatarsalgia also can be a difficult condition of the foot to cure.
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:06 PM
First Mate

the first one i had removed through surgery was wrapped around my main nerve and up into 2 toes. i caught this new one early enough to have the shots do the trick along with inflamatory medicine. i am looking foward to being able to put on my good tennies with gel insoles for added protection to be able to get around in the ports. i am only 2 weeks away and cant wait.

thanks for your concern and wishing me luck
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

antron
http://www.downtownhalifax.ns.ca/images/Fred%20Map.pdf
Link is to a map of Halifax with FRED route also on it.
Put this on another thread for you also.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Admiral

I haven't ever been to the northeastern seaboard but I look to do so before I depart this Earth.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.