Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Default carnival victory new england port change

instead of going to sydney we are now going to stop at saint john, new brunswick. they say it is a wonderful port and when you get off the ship all the ladies are handed a red rose. how wonderful. so if you have any tours scheduled in sydney you might want to double check with carnival about stopping there. have a great cruise. i know i will.
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Familiar Face

We have taken four Canada New England cruises. Saint John is the preferable port to Sydney. The ladies are handed roses as they disembark and the men are handed pins for their suit jackets. Last year we took the city tour which we enjoyed. They take you to the merket place downtown. You can also walk there easily. You can take the tour tothe reversing falls. It is also worthwhile.
Enjoy your cruise.
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM
First Mate

thanks haze60.

the roses sound very special. i also will make sure we make it too the market. i cant wait to walk through the ports and go threw all the shops. i am hoping to pick up a few antiques of some kind. im sure i wont have a problem finding somthing i like to take home . i cant wait to go and show my friend what cruising is all about and how great it is. she will be hooked like i am.
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Admiral

How l ucky can yoou get...going to St. John ... When you arrive there is usually a Scottish Piper wlecoming you, an an aea of local crafts, the roses and pins.. and a free bus to take you downtown..
Downtown you can pick up a bus to see the reversing falls..If you stay downtown there is a lovely tourist area and shops...Up the street is the City Market where the locals shop.. and ifyou like english or irish tea it's there...Now, I'm not sure exactly where the ship is going to dock.. but.. if you walk along the area going back to the shiip..there is a lobster shack which is incredible.. One of three restaurants owned by a family.. Sydney is more of a big city.. St. John is an old fasioned city in resurgance of the old brownstones and the older houses being bought up by Europeans I was told.. if you go to the Reversing Falls there is a Ferry that takes you back to t he tourist area and its surrounded by ducks which they feed and you will see the area which is filled with seals..on your way back the people are very welcoming.
Old April 18th, 2006, 01:45 AM
First Mate

parrot mom

thanks for your great reply. i cant tell you how much you have made me even more excited to get there. i will make sure i get to the lobster shack and take the bus to the falls. it all sounds so fantastic. and i love the idea of a scottish piper playing for us. i hope this summer goes by real fast.
Old April 18th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Admiral

The people of St. John especially hold a special place for Bostonians...There was a tragic bus accident a few years ago with children going to a concert.. Every child and adult was taken into a home (those not severely injured) and not one person ate anything that was not homemade. The City of Newton and St. John have a special bond still... If there is any humor in this tragic and there were two deaths, that everybody came back weighing much more.. The Canadian ports of St. John and Halifax are just being discovered... Halifax (are you going there) is a tad more sophisticated.. a big college town.. it was badly hit by a hurricane a few years ago... and there too you will find gracious people.. Are you going to Bar Harbor or Portland, Maine?
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
The people of St. John especially hold a special place for Bostonians...There was a tragic bus accident a few years ago with children going to a concert.. Every child and adult was taken into a home (those not severely injured) and not one person ate anything that was not homemade. The City of Newton and St. John have a special bond still... If there is any humor in this tragic and there were two deaths, that everybody came back weighing much more.. The Canadian ports of St. John and Halifax are just being discovered... Halifax (are you going there) is a tad more sophisticated.. a big college town.. it was badly hit by a hurricane a few years ago... and there too you will find gracious people.. Are you going to Bar Harbor or Portland, Maine?
what a horrible tragedy. i am so happy to hear the survivors whent home fatter from the wonderful food. i live in a small town so i know what the '' community embracement '' is. i cant wait to visit there. we are going to boston, portland maine, st.john, n.b, and halifax. it is the cruise of my dreams and i will love walking the streets of these wonderful towns. thanks for the info i am going to be experiencing.
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Admiral

In Portland you might want to go to the City Market....not too close to the Old Port, great place to have lunch... but downtown Portland also has a LL Bean Outlet. Since we are from Boston I can't recommmend a Duck Tour enough..anything else you want to know...please write
parrotmom@comcast.net