Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Beginner

Default Shore Excursions

We are going on a Canada/New England cruise in October and would like suggestions for shore excursions.
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Is Boston on your ship's itinerary? We were there in October '06, and spent one whole day doing the Freedom Trail. If you love history, you will enjoy this. It does involve lots of walking, so take good walking shoes & a light jacket. It was cool & breezy when we were there.

On the Freedom Trail, you'll see things like Paul Revere's house (you can go in; but must buy ticket), the Old North Church, and some really old cemeteries where Paul Revere, Samuel Adams & other historic people are buried.

The Freedom Trail does have a website that can give you more info. Just do a search; it should be easy to find.

We also did a driving tour looking at light houses & covered bridges. Absolutely awesome.

Hope this helps.

MountainGal
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the information about the freedom trail. We are also going to Nova Scotia Canada, Bar Harbor Maine and Martha's Vineyard.

Old July 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Are you stopping at Quebec City and or Montreal?

Private tour guide is available to make most out of your few hours stay in Quebec City or Montreal and see all there is to see.
contact armani1975@yahoo.com
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Beginner

We only have one stop in Canada, Nova Scotia.
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Passenger

We have been to NS many times, in fact were are going back in Sep{our 6ht time.} If you are going to Hailfax{which I belive you are since most of the cruise ships stop there.} I would recommend the Peggys Cove trip. Its one of those attractions that everyone should see at least once. As for the rest-The Citadel /public gardens /Martime Museim/Alexander Keith Brewery those are all within walking distence of the ship plus its a nice walk. Halifax is a great city to explore on foot. It is easy to get around plus there have a great broadwalk. If you go to www.halifax.ca/visitors you can order "The Greater Halifax Vistor Guide 2007" It has a walking tour in it you can take going over points of interest , plus a map of dowtown Halifax. I take it with me everytime.

On the broadwalk there is a bakery called RUM RUNNERS, they make rum cakes on the premieses. We always order 2 when we first arrive{Chocolate is the best and usually sells out first} then pick it up later before we head back to the boat. They usually have samples out. Just an FYI
Hope this helps

JC

ps when in Oct. We went in late Oct once and it can be chilly. I had my fall jacket and a pair of gloves and had no problems at all.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Passenger

Default Native of Boston

I just posted this reply to someone else, so I am copying it to you as well:

<< I am from Boston. Lucky you - Boston at that time of year is amazingly beautiful and usually comfortable weather. I strongly recommend you do the Duck Boat Tour - it takes about two hours, everyone who does one has a blast on it (even us locals), and it will give you the basic overview of the city and its history. Downtown Boston is pretty safe to explore on your own during the day, so after the duck tour, walk back and visit some of the sights on the Freedom Trail, get some chowdah and a beaah in Quincy Market, walk across the Rose Kennedy Greenway to the North End for some gelato, a cappuccino or a cannoli, take a swan boat ride in the Boston Public Gardens ($1.50 last time I checked - priceless!), walk a bit of Newbury Street and visit the galleries. Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall are pretty close to the cruise terminal - maybe a 10 minute walk, but you can catch a taxi back, too. There are plenty of photo opps near the waterfront - the breathtaking skyline, boats, etc. If you are looking for some Bohemian adventure, board the Red Line at Park Street Station in Boston Common for a 5 minute ride to Harvard Square in Cambridge - nose ring optional. You will love it and have a great time. >>

The only thing I might ad is that if you are a baseball fan, do take a trip to Fenway Park, too. You can also get there from Park Street Station on the green line - look for the ones that go to Kenmore Square - it will drop you off right under the Citgo sign. the "T" is very safe on both the red and green lines, and is a very cheap and easy way to get around town. I read in another post that there may be a free or low cost shuttle from the cruise terminal to Quincy Market - since you will be putting some milage on your feet, take advantage of it if it is available. You can walk to and from the cruise terminal to Quincy Market - it is maybe 3/4 of a mile, but unless your feet are made of steel, you will be putting them through their paces the rest of your Boston visit. Virtually everything interesting in Boston is close to Quincy Market.
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnygs
We have been to NS many times, in fact were are going back in Sep{our 6ht time.} If you are going to Hailfax{which I belive you are since most of the cruise ships stop there.} I would recommend the Peggys Cove trip. Its one of those attractions that everyone should see at least once. As for the rest-The Citadel /public gardens /Martime Museim/Alexander Keith Brewery those are all within walking distence of the ship plus its a nice walk. Halifax is a great city to explore on foot. It is easy to get around plus there have a great broadwalk. If you go to www.halifax.ca/visitors you can order "The Greater Halifax Vistor Guide 2007" It has a walking tour in it you can take going over points of interest , plus a map of dowtown Halifax. I take it with me everytime.

On the broadwalk there is a bakery called RUM RUNNERS, they make rum cakes on the premieses. We always order 2 when we first arrive{Chocolate is the best and usually sells out first} then pick it up later before we head back to the boat. They usually have samples out. Just an FYI
Hope this helps

JC

ps when in Oct. We went in late Oct once and it can be chilly. I had my fall jacket and a pair of gloves and had no problems at all.
JC .... Thank you very much for the site to order "The Halifax Visitor Guide" as well as your other helpful information!

How far is the Boardwalk from where the ship docks?

For late September ... What to wear? HELP!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:40 AM
Passenger

Hi,

Most ships dock at whats called "pier 29". There is another terminal futher down, but I only saw a ship there once and it ws one of the smaller cruise lines. "Pier 29", is about maybe a 3 min walk {not even} to the start of the broadwalk. Its not far at all. They also used to have rickshaws run by college kids wating at the start of the broadwalk. When we went last year though I only saw one or two so maybe they are seasonal.

As for the weather in late Sep, I would advise the same type of clothing you wear for the start of fall. Long sleve shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters {if not too bulky-they take up to much room in my luggage} jeans,slacks etc.. I usually take a windbraker and a hooded sweatshirt as well , this way depending on the temp I can were one ,the other or both if ness. I also usually bring a shall/wrap for wearing at night. I have noticed though there really is no heat temp in the cabins. Its either cold or not cold. I have found that if you keep it on not cold, it is fine.

Hope this helps
JC

We are going back again this year either in mid Sep or early Oct
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to downeaster70

FYI: Pier 21 is the pier most ships dock at. Harbourwalk is approximatly 3 minutes from the Pier where you can peruse the waterfront. On line you can type in Fenwick Towers web cam and see the Pier along with related cams viewing Halifax Harbour as well as Peggy's Cove Enjoy your stay
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

You will dock at Pier 21 or 22.
www.peggyscovewebcam.ca will give you great views and this also links to webcams for Halifax