Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Beginner

Default RCI - New England/Canada

Will be leaving on 10-12 for 10 days on RCI Explorer to Boston, New London, Conn., Portland, Bar Harbour, St. John and Halifax. Anyone done this trip? What are "don't miss" sights? Also, suggestions for dinner attire. Are nice jeans allowed in the dining room on casuall nights?
Can't wait for this trip.
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Nancy,

I did the Canada/NE on the Constellation, so I can't address all your questions. You should be able to look online at their website to get the casual dress code, on Celebrity it is not ok.

Excursions: We did a "walking tour" in Boston. Booked thru the ship, the guy was great and we really had a good time and enjoyed it. Wear sneakers!

Acadia Park was a let down because of heavy rain, which fogged up the tour bus windows terribly and then we broke down up on a mountain and thankfully we were on a 'cruise excursion' so the ship waited for us (@20 min. late).

Peggy's cove was beautiful, even in the misty rain. You need to get off the bus and walk the entire area. There is a stone carving that pictures do not do justice, the boulders on the shoreline will be worth carefully walking around on, and the fisherman cove area is very picturesque.

I really hope you have beautiful fall weather, and NO rain, because the entire trip will be great. Hopefully before you depart you will get more insight from other posters.

Safe travels,
Nona
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Beginner

Thanks Nona,
I was wondering about the weather with Acadia - not sure if we are going to plan anything for that just yet. We do have a trip to Peggy's Cove.
Thanks again for your help. 17 days to go and counting.
Nancy
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi again Nancy,
The weather is up to mother nature, it is that time of year where it can be very comfortable or a bit on the chilly side. I wore a lightweight shirt w/sweatshirt (or light jacket) and was fine, except we also were in Quebec and tho bright and sunny it was a bit colder there. If you can pack a rain poncho, even if it's a cheap disposable one, to have on hand.

I hope you enjoy Peggy's Cove, and the walking tour in Boston is great if you decide on that one, as far as Acadia I did not think it was especially worth the time and money, but again, we had lousy weather and a foggy bus!

Enjoy your trip!
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Beginner

Again thanks. I plan on checking the weather about 3 days prior to leaving just to make sure i don't need anything heavier than what I am planning on.
You confirmed my indecision on Acadia - I think i will pass on that trip and stay in town.
I went to Boston about 7 years ago for a week so there is not much new that i am aware of that we didn't do back then. I kind of thought about getting a cab and going to the north end of Boston around "Little Italy". Never did that before. Boston is like Acadia- up in the air.
At this point I could just stay on the ship for 9 days and relax.
Thanks,
Nancy
Old June 21st, 2008, 04:11 PM
First Mate

What tours do you suggest with an 81yr old mother who will use a wheelchair part of the time and two kids ages 9 and 6?

Any suggestions?

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiel
What tours do you suggest with an 81yr old mother who will use a wheelchair part of the time and two kids ages 9 and 6?

Any suggestions?
Probably the Trolly bus tour of Acadia National Park. The streets of Bar Harbor are a little hilly and narrow sidewalks and pushing a wheelchair would not be good.
Peggy's Cove was great but once we got there the walk was uphill and at times pushed me to the limits; plus it was very, very cold and windy. I don't think the kids would enjoy the cove, it's basically just the scenery you are there for.
Again, Boston was a return trip for us so we just walked around. There is a lot for the kids from a historic point of view. The walking tours are suppose to be great. I don't think pushing a wheelchair would be a problem there.
When we went on this cruise it was in October and there were no children on board so it would be hard to say what a kid would like. The boat was mostly senior citizens who did not venture off that much that I could see.
It truly was a great trip.
nancy
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
First Mate

Nancy, thank you for the suggestions!

I'm not to concerned about Boston, been there before as well and plan on taking the kids back during a school break when we have more time to discover! You just can't "do" Boston in one day

We're still shopping excursions and I'll go over what you all have suggested as hits and misses with her tonight at supper.

We do have two excursions booked already. Not wanting to do to many more. The ones we have are the Titanic tour in Nova Scotia (Mom passed on this one) and the Essex Train in Ct (she will be joining us on this one!).

Ds is into the Titanic and is so excited about this excursion. This is partly why we booked this cruise over others. Any time they can learn something while on vacation makes it all worth while!!!!

Has anyone been on these two excursions, if so how were they?

Old June 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Beginner

Default Re: RCI - New England/Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsellers
Will be leaving on 10-12 for 10 days on RCI Explorer to Boston, New London, Conn., Portland, Bar Harbour, St. John and Halifax. Anyone done this trip? What are "don't miss" sights? Also, suggestions for dinner attire. Are nice jeans allowed in the dining room on casuall nights?
Can't wait for this trip.
Nancy
Halifax has a great museum on the Boardwalk about the Titanic (because this is where the survivors were taken). Also the Fort is interesting. Portland has everything from art musuem to LL Bean store.

Jeans and shorts are not suppose to be allowed in the dining room for dinner. Capris or slacks are good or a casual skirt.

Just was on the Explorer in May to Bermuda and have been on her twice before. It sure is big but you seldom feel like there are thousands of people on Board except when you go to parades, etc. in the Mall. Get tickets for the ice show - it is wonderful.

Have a great trip.

Rosemary
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
First Mate

Rosemary, thank you so much for your reply!

We actually have the Titanic excursion booked! Ds is almost 10 and heavily into the Titanic right now so this has worked out to be perfect! Anytime they can LEARN something while on vacation....

Being previous cruisers we don't wear jeans or shorts to the dining room.

We plan on the ice show and skating as well.

Again, THANK YOU!