Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Passenger

Default Best way to get to Peggy's Cove?

Looking for the cheapest (and maybe quickest) way to get to Peggy's Cove from Halifax. I'll only be Halifax 7a-6p ship's time, but would also like a recommendation for time to go to avoid the biggest crowds. I'll be going Mid-September.

Thanks for the specifics
CCL Holiday '09 NCL Inspiration '07 CCL Freedom '07 NCL Jewel '07 CCL Triumph '06 Costa Mediterranea '06 Celebrity Mercury '05 CCL Conquest '05 NCL Dream '05 CCL Sensation '04 HAL Statendam '03 Celebrity Horizon '03 CCL Inspiration '02 NCL Star '02 CCL Fascination '02 NCL Sea '01
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Best way to get to Peggy's Cove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigicruiser
Looking for the cheapest (and maybe quickest) way to get to Peggy's Cove from Halifax. I'll only be Halifax 7a-6p ship's time, but would also like a recommendation for time to go to avoid the biggest crowds. I'll be going Mid-September.

Thanks for the specifics
...gigicruiser...On a cruise ship or ships day ..(some days 5 ships) ... http://www.cruisehalifax.ca/index.html ..There is NO good time to go to Peggys Cove...Buses all day..When in Halifax i would recommend take the 3 hrs it would take to go to Peggys Cove and spend 3 hrs exploring a Very Historic and beautiful City..Theres alot more to Halifax Nova Scotia then Peggys Cove..
Paul McNeil.. Formally with Arrive in Style Limousine..Now with Town Limousine... .(902) 292 6780 (cell).. http://www.hotfrog.ca/Companies/Hali...storical-Tours ... Tourism Industry Association of Nova Scotia TIANS..Member..Nationally Certified..Amazing Race approved..Pic is me telling Phil Keoghan about the Mont Blanc..
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Passenger

Thank you.
I definitely want to spend most of my time in Halifax, but wanted more info on Peggy's cove for planning whether or not I can squeeze both in. It seems like a shame for me to finally get to Nova Scotia and not try to fit as much in as possible.
CCL Holiday '09 NCL Inspiration '07 CCL Freedom '07 NCL Jewel '07 CCL Triumph '06 Costa Mediterranea '06 Celebrity Mercury '05 CCL Conquest '05 NCL Dream '05 CCL Sensation '04 HAL Statendam '03 Celebrity Horizon '03 CCL Inspiration '02 NCL Star '02 CCL Fascination '02 NCL Sea '01
Old August 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM
First Mate

Hi gigicruiser,
When were in Halifax you have to take the ship excursion that make a city tour and Peggy's Cove,very very interresting and worth it.
Have a good cruise.

MTL
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Have you seen this website:
http://www.peggyscovewebcam.ca/live/
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Thank you.
I definitely want to spend most of my time in Halifax, but wanted more info on Peggy's cove for planning whether or not I can squeeze both in. It seems like a shame for me to finally get to Nova Scotia and not try to fit as much in as possible.
..gigicruiser...Yes you can do both..If you are right off the ship and right in a car..Beat the buses to Peggys..then with the right driver(one that narrates your tour) you can enjoy Halifax a very vibrant.. very historic city the Crown Jewel city of the North..
Paul McNeil.. Formally with Arrive in Style Limousine..Now with Town Limousine... .(902) 292 6780 (cell).. http://www.hotfrog.ca/Companies/Hali...storical-Tours ... Tourism Industry Association of Nova Scotia TIANS..Member..Nationally Certified..Amazing Race approved..Pic is me telling Phil Keoghan about the Mont Blanc..
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Passenger

Thanks, everyone.
Looks like I need to look into the rental car now and plan to get to Peggy's Cove 1st. That should allow all the rest of the time to take the FRED in and around Halifax for the remainder of the day. No worries about missing the boat then. DH and I are usually in the last group to board in ports (never late, but at the five minutes or so).

Thanks again for the help.
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Default Peggys Cove

Along the boardward are taxis which will take you out there, but be forwarned if it's an overcast, rainy or foggy you won't see a thing..We live close to the ocean and the cab driver cautioned us. When you get off the ship there are tour kiosks in the building and they can help you.. Our driver took us (we have been there twice) to the graves of the Titantic victims...it is a magnificent site and quite memorable..then on to the Citaddel for rhe shooting of the cannon.. Halifax is a beautiful, hilly and colorful college town.. lots o bars.. but dont get hung up on Peggys Cove.. smelly and loaded with tourists..
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks for all your help

Well, I'm off tomorrow am for NYC then cruisin' on Sat.
Decided on a rental car first thing in Halifax, taking the HWY to get there early then more casual on the way back to squeeze in every remaining second in Halifax.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Default HALIFAX

Remember, lobster is dirt cheap... so check out prices.. normally away from the tourist area.. the waterfront.. enjoy. colors are starting u p there now.
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Thanks for all your help

Quote:
Well, I'm off tomorrow am for NYC then cruisin' on Sat.
Decided on a rental car first thing in Halifax, taking the HWY to get there early then more casual on the way back to squeeze in every remaining second in Halifax.
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
If I cought you in time, I would suggest doing this loop if you are driving yourself http://tiny.cc/VAesb . If you don't do the loop you will be miising some senic areas. I drive it al least once a year on my bike. The western part of the loop is the most senic.
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Familiar Face

Here is a link to the best display of Mother Natures Fury during Hurricane Bill at the Peggys Cove Lighthouse.5.53 and 9.35... of the video .. AWESOME...A good as it gets... .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQzdUW7xqmI
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: HALIFAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Remember, lobster is dirt cheap... so check out prices.. normally away from the tourist area.. the waterfront.. enjoy. colors are starting u p there now.
..Best lobster in Halifax on price and freshness .. claws down..off the BOATS..in the POT ..on the PLATES..is Boondocks ...20 minutes from the ships in the other COVE.. Fishermans Cove in Eastern Passage.. A REAL 250 year old working fishing village..were they catch fish not TOURISTS...... http://www.fishermanscove.ns.ca/
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Last week I did the ship's tour....easy as pie.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Familiar Face

We just returned from C&NE cruise. Taxi to Peggy's cove was $123 for three hours which gives you a full hour at the Cove. It was misty and cool but it was none the less kind of eerie and beautiful. We went with two other couples so with the tip it was about $24 per person
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankm
We just returned from C&NE cruise. Taxi to Peggy's cove was $123 for three hours which gives you a full hour at the Cove. It was misty and cool but it was none the less kind of eerie and beautiful. We went with two other couples so with the tip it was about $24 per person
..the Flat rate is 135.00..Did the driver narrate.??