Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
First Mate

Default Victoria BC Canada, Ogden Point Cafe and Crew WiFi Access-

The Alaska season for cruise ships coming to Victoria BC Canada is now in full swing. Majority of passengers normally enjoy a full or half day in port.
Victoria has a lot to offer with its English type weather and charm.
I've started to take pictures of each ship when it arrives and plan to post them on a separate post this summer. One thing that is evident is where do the crew who are off-duty go when in port for their relaxation.
Well, right beside the docks and only a five minute walk in sight of the ships is a lovely cafe overlooking the docks and the sea.
It is called the Ogden Point Cafe and offers a wonderful food selection, a lovely view of the ships at anchor, a view across the strait from Canada to the USA Olympic Mountains and in my humble mind, great staff. Note: Great Coffee (aka Java) also.
I park my car ( free parking for an hour by Ogden Point Cafe, look for the yellow markers ) do some picture taking , and then have a java and / or food.
What I discovered especially in the evening is about twenty - thirty crew from various ships having a great time though together but 'huddled' over their laptops , ITouch, IPads using their free WiFi access to access emails, the web and webcams to their families.
Only problem is the more who use the access, including yours truly with his ITouch, the shared speed drops down to zero
until someone leaves. I believe the server is Cable, not ADSL/DSL which means you are sharing with not only the Cafe users but ones in the area.
A big 'Thank you' to Ogden Point Cafe owners who provide this access to the crew and us locals.
Ogden Point Cafe and Dive Centre - Victoria B.C. Canada

Ogden Point area also provides telephones, a gift shop, a dive shop and lot of folks walking along the beach.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Beginner

I'm from Victoria too.

We take our daugters down to Ogden point to gaze at the cruise ships on occasion when they are in town, either from the parking lot or from the Breakwater. The kids don't appreciate them as much as I do.

I remember taking a cruise out of Seattle and spending the night in Victoria a few years back. What a weird feeling to wake up in your home town, look out the window and see the sites you've grown up with all your life! . Then to get off the ship and go home (to drop off goods we bought across the border ;-).

We are taking our first family cruise in March 2011.
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:41 PM
First Mate

Hello FamilyofSix

Nice to hear , had a good chuckle over you trying to get your daughters impressed.
They will be on the cruise , believe me.
Only rule to enforce is everybody dines together in the evening.
What trip are you taking ?
I have some more articles on my blog... our trips and what I think folks might be interested in.
Thank you for replying.
Cheers
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/