CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   New England / Canada (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/)
-   -   October trip (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/381078-october-trip.html)

Cajungirl March 10th, 2011 03:25 PM

October trip

Planning on cruise in October New England & Canada -- How is the weather that time of year? Late October.

Trip March 10th, 2011 04:20 PM

I live outside Boston...plan on it being chilly, so dress in layers, if it warms up, you can peel them off...We also peek as far as foliage, by mid October, so as you sail north, you will have less and less pretty viewing, probably, almost bare up in Canada by then...

Rum Runner March 19th, 2011 12:08 PM

I'm just north of Trip in NH. I have noticed that the weather generally 'turns' about the 3rd week of October here. For the first couple weeks in October, you might enjoy an Indian Summer, but by about the 20th or so, you'll experience more wind, and the 'very brisk' fall weather. The nights tend to be in the 30s at this time of the month with daytime temps in the low-mid 40s.
Definitely bring your warmer clothes...wool is very comfy choice. Halloween could be rainy & quite cold- seems like 8 out of 10 Trick-or-Treat years we have cold rain.
Here's a cool pic stolen from the web on the average monthly temps (keeping in mind that the first two weeks tend to be quite different than the last two, generally):

http://nhclimateaudit.org/images/Oct1895-2009.jpg

Cajungirl March 28th, 2011 10:41 AM

Thanks for the input everyone - I Have not booked yet, so looks like I'm going to change to sail October 1st. Hopefully not so cold and get a change to see some fall colors.

Parrot Mom April 2nd, 2011 07:38 AM

Colors

Remember one thing...it all depends on Mother Nature in New England. Last mid-October in the Boston area the colors were dull. It's Mother Natures decision whether we have/ had or will have too much rain or not enough, she's very fickle. Trip is right...A hooded sweatshirt will come in handy for early morning jaunts. The Colombus Day weekend in N.E. is filled with fairs, craft shows, the side roads with farm stands of freshly picked apples and if your lucky pure pressed apple cider. The roads are filled with "leaf peepers"..:rolleyes: One of the reasons I love living in New England.

Marc April 2nd, 2011 09:45 AM

I am hoping this October in New England is FANTASTIC! We leave from Montreal on 13 October and hope to have beautiful leaves somewhere during our journey south.

Parrot Mom April 2nd, 2011 10:04 AM

Boston

For those stopping in Boston.. you MUST take a Boston Duck Tour...Even as Bostonians we have learned more about our beloved city and the areas (you can buy tickets online). Don't know all the details yet but there is talk of a new trolley to take you to to historical and convenient spots. I will tell you that lobster will be in high season in New England and Canada and there is no comparison to the lobster served on cruise ships. We take our cruising friends for a lobster roll at Skipjacks in Copley Square where I defy you to finish it all (no, I don't work for them)

Cajungirl April 12th, 2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Mom (Post 1363956)
For those stopping in Boston.. you MUST take a Boston Duck Tour...Even as Bostonians we have learned more about our beloved city and the areas (you can buy tickets online). Don't know all the details yet but there is talk of a new trolley to take you to to historical and convenient spots. I will tell you that lobster will be in high season in New England and Canada and there is no comparison to the lobster served on cruise ships. We take our cruising friends for a lobster roll at Skipjacks in Copley Square where I defy you to finish it all (no, I don't work for them)

Thanks for the tip - I will make sure to take the Duck Tour and I'm going to be all about the lobster!!

cherylroy July 25th, 2011 08:37 PM

Cajungirl...where are you from? I'm a cajun too! Louisiana...:-)
P.S. I think my next trip will be the one your planning now!!

Cajungirl September 13th, 2013 11:46 AM

Baton Rouge Area..... Wasn't able to make this trip in 2011... But will be sailing shortly!
Cheryl where are you from?

cherylroy September 13th, 2013 02:00 PM

About an hour from Lafayette in the country! My sister lives in Baton Rouge - owns Keans the Cleaner

Cajungirl September 18th, 2013 01:48 PM

Bunkie? I know the Roy's from Bunkie.