CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   New England / Canada (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/)
-   -   My Eastern Canada & New England cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/382790-my-eastern-canada-new-england-cruise.html)

Thoth May 30th, 2011 01:55 AM

My Eastern Canada & New England cruise

Montreal was the embarkation port. That is a lovely city and one must walk into the Vieux Montreal and see the Notre Dame Cathedral and cobblestone streets. I had lunch along the riverfront.
I took HAL’s hotel, the Hyatt Regency downtown was quite pleased with the service. I do not recommend the hotel’s over-priced restaurant. If possible one can get cheaper foods in the mall food court next door.
*Quebec City is a medieval jewel which looks more like a European river city than anything in North America. I did not one, but two walking tours of the old town, one culminating in high tea at the Chateau and the other a ghost tour.
*Charlottetown Prince Edward Island…Like most, I took the Anne of Green Gables tour. This is a lovely island.
*Sydney Nova Scotia…My tour took me to Louisbourg Fortress which is a re-created town of the early 18’Th century. Even though my visit was out of season , re-enacters were present by prior arrangement by being on a ship sponsored tour.
*Halifax…I did the Highland Experience at the Citadel. Where I was part of a tour group of three partnered with a costumed guide. I got to play Highland soldier.
* Bar Harbor…I was part of the ship’s Best of Both Worlds tour which visited Acadia National Park and a Lobster museum.
* Boston…I took the bus tour of historic Boston which ended at the airport. We visited some historic sites of significance such the outside of the USS Constitution and the Boston Library. Historic Boston is worth the time to see.
All things considered, the Maasadam to Canada/New England is a worthy cruise for those of us who are tired of beaches and t-shirt shops as ports of call. It is the ideal cruise of those who value history, culture, and nature over tourist traps. :wink:

Marc May 30th, 2011 08:42 AM

Thoth, thanks for your report. I am sailing Montreal to Ft Lauderdale this fall and really appreciated your report on the ports.

Trip May 30th, 2011 09:00 AM

Sounds like you had a great cruise, that had an interesting historical theme for you. Glad you got to see a piece of my historical city, Boston. Thanks.

Lakers Fan May 30th, 2011 10:36 AM

We've been to all these places during land cruises but since my health keeps be from flying we may do a similiar cruise but leaving from NY or Boston .

Mike M May 30th, 2011 11:26 AM

Thank you for your recap and I enjoyed reading it. A Canadian cruise is still on my "must do" list and hopefully it will soon be checked off.

Take care,
Mike

Thoth May 30th, 2011 11:55 AM

Oh yes, old Boston is so neat !
I take it that downtown looked a bit differently before the "big dig" ?
Interstate 93 went through the old city center ?
I like it that modern stuff in the world now is expected to be aesthetically beautiful and "fit in" such as the Zakim bridge. From my understanding one couldn't get to Logan airport from Boston at one time, so they built the Ted Williams Tunnel. You have to respect a city's love of baseball when they name a tunnel after baseball hero.

Trip May 30th, 2011 04:09 PM

What was torn down with the infamous big dig, was in part, a raised high highway,which ran past the financial district, by the North End and headed up 93.

The Zakim Bridge, really is a pretty bridge...while the dig was in progress, we often missed our exit to the airport for our cruises...ended up crossing the Zakim, and, had to turn around..grrrr..So glad that's behind us now.

Ted Williams can do no wrong here..no telling how many Teds were named after him.:)

So glad you enjoyed a taste of our fair city, and, hope you come back again.

Thoth May 30th, 2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1373787)
What was torn down with the infamous big dig, was in part, a raised high highway,which ran past the financial district, by the North End and headed up 93.

The Zakim Bridge, really is a pretty bridge...while the dig was in progress, we often missed our exit to the airport for our cruises...ended up crossing the Zakim, and, had to turn around..grrrr..So glad that's behind us now.

Ted Williams can do no wrong here..no telling how many Teds were named after him.:)

So glad you enjoyed a taste of our fair city, and, hope you come back again.

next time I plan to do a guided walking tour of the "Freedom Trail " of famous sites.
On the recent cruise I did two walking tours of Quebec City. On old cities on foot is the way to see the historic sites. My Boston tour guide blamed the cows of the often tight city streets. It seems many started long long ago as cow paths.

Trip May 30th, 2011 04:52 PM

Yes...I did almost mention the cowpaths:) A portion of the city is tight and cobblestoned..I am sure it came as ballast in an old ship, as in San Juan..