Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Admiral

Thumbs up My Eastern Canada & New England cruise

Montreal was the embarkation port. That is a lovely city and one must walk into the Vieux Montreal and see the Notre Dame Cathedral and cobblestone streets. I had lunch along the riverfront.
I took HAL’s hotel, the Hyatt Regency downtown was quite pleased with the service. I do not recommend the hotel’s over-priced restaurant. If possible one can get cheaper foods in the mall food court next door.
*Quebec City is a medieval jewel which looks more like a European river city than anything in North America. I did not one, but two walking tours of the old town, one culminating in high tea at the Chateau and the other a ghost tour.
*Charlottetown Prince Edward Island…Like most, I took the Anne of Green Gables tour. This is a lovely island.
*Sydney Nova Scotia…My tour took me to Louisbourg Fortress which is a re-created town of the early 18’Th century. Even though my visit was out of season , re-enacters were present by prior arrangement by being on a ship sponsored tour.
*Halifax…I did the Highland Experience at the Citadel. Where I was part of a tour group of three partnered with a costumed guide. I got to play Highland soldier.
* Bar Harbor…I was part of the ship’s Best of Both Worlds tour which visited Acadia National Park and a Lobster museum.
* Boston…I took the bus tour of historic Boston which ended at the airport. We visited some historic sites of significance such the outside of the USS Constitution and the Boston Library. Historic Boston is worth the time to see.
All things considered, the Maasadam to Canada/New England is a worthy cruise for those of us who are tired of beaches and t-shirt shops as ports of call. It is the ideal cruise of those who value history, culture, and nature over tourist traps.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Thoth, thanks for your report. I am sailing Montreal to Ft Lauderdale this fall and really appreciated your report on the ports.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sounds like you had a great cruise, that had an interesting historical theme for you. Glad you got to see a piece of my historical city, Boston. Thanks.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 30th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Admiral

We've been to all these places during land cruises but since my health keeps be from flying we may do a similiar cruise but leaving from NY or Boston .
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you for your recap and I enjoyed reading it. A Canadian cruise is still on my "must do" list and hopefully it will soon be checked off.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Oh yes, old Boston is so neat !
I take it that downtown looked a bit differently before the "big dig" ?
Interstate 93 went through the old city center ?
I like it that modern stuff in the world now is expected to be aesthetically beautiful and "fit in" such as the Zakim bridge. From my understanding one couldn't get to Logan airport from Boston at one time, so they built the Ted Williams Tunnel. You have to respect a city's love of baseball when they name a tunnel after baseball hero.

/ticker.png">
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Admiral

What was torn down with the infamous big dig, was in part, a raised high highway,which ran past the financial district, by the North End and headed up 93.

The Zakim Bridge, really is a pretty bridge...while the dig was in progress, we often missed our exit to the airport for our cruises...ended up crossing the Zakim, and, had to turn around..grrrr..So glad that's behind us now.

Ted Williams can do no wrong here..no telling how many Teds were named after him.

So glad you enjoyed a taste of our fair city, and, hope you come back again.

Old May 30th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
What was torn down with the infamous big dig, was in part, a raised high highway,which ran past the financial district, by the North End and headed up 93.

The Zakim Bridge, really is a pretty bridge...while the dig was in progress, we often missed our exit to the airport for our cruises...ended up crossing the Zakim, and, had to turn around..grrrr..So glad that's behind us now.

Ted Williams can do no wrong here..no telling how many Teds were named after him.

So glad you enjoyed a taste of our fair city, and, hope you come back again.
next time I plan to do a guided walking tour of the "Freedom Trail " of famous sites.
On the recent cruise I did two walking tours of Quebec City. On old cities on foot is the way to see the historic sites. My Boston tour guide blamed the cows of the often tight city streets. It seems many started long long ago as cow paths.

/ticker.png">
Old May 30th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Yes...I did almost mention the cowpaths A portion of the city is tight and cobblestoned..I am sure it came as ballast in an old ship, as in San Juan..