CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   New England / Canada (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/)
-   -   new england fall cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/new-england-canada/389001-new-england-fall-cruise.html)

KellyKayden April 23rd, 2012 12:20 PM

new england fall cruise

So I would love to take a fall cruise in the new england area, but im finding most of my travel companions wont go with me unless the ship is heading south...lol. so if I am to research this on my own, does anyone have any suggestions on certain lines/ships/programs/best times/locations/etc?

Paul Motter April 23rd, 2012 12:37 PM

Holland America does this route.

It is funny because I had also always wanted to take one of these curises, but we found that the best part was seeing Quebec, and the time on the St. Lawrence, which we envisioned as being alive with fiery fall colors, was so wide that we could barely see the shore.

Stopping in Maine was fun, and Boston - but all in all I now think I would rather see those cities by car and maybe skip the cruise - UNLESS ITS A REALLY GOOD DEAL.

If you do go - do some research and try to time it for peak fall folliage. I think our cruise was a little too early (still lots of green out there) - but then again, that changes every year so you really never know.

Manuel April 23rd, 2012 02:07 PM

To really see New England you need to drive Through Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine in early fall. The other New England states get their color in late fall.
New England shines in the fall, but you can't see much of it from a cruiseship.

TM

Trip April 23rd, 2012 03:41 PM

Remember the farther north you go, later in the season, you will see less foliage...I live around Boston, and we usually peak, by Oct 15th...You can use that as a guideline. Also, dress in layers.

Paul Motter April 23rd, 2012 06:29 PM

Last year we sailed out of Quebec on the St Lawrence in late September and the leaves were not even starting to turn - much farther north than Maine even.

It was a disappointment - even the famous Canadian maples were still green - not red.

KellyKayden April 23rd, 2012 06:52 PM

good points....I was too busy thinking about enjoying the fall beauty from the comfort of the ship I had not considered not being able to see much. Thank you all for the insight! Maybe a fall drive through N.E. on the way to a ship that heads south will be in my future. Best of both worlds!

Lakers Fan April 23rd, 2012 07:31 PM

I do

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyKayden (Post 1426234)
So I would love to take a fall cruise in the new england area, but im finding most of my travel companions wont go with me unless the ship is heading south...lol. so if I am to research this on my own, does anyone have any suggestions on certain lines/ships/programs/best times/locations/etc?

We booked a Celebrity cruise in 2013 to New England and Canada .We've done this several times by car ,as well.