Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden
Default new england fall cruise

So I would love to take a fall cruise in the new england area, but im finding most of my travel companions wont go with me unless the ship is heading south...lol. so if I am to research this on my own, does anyone have any suggestions on certain lines/ships/programs/best times/locations/etc?

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Holland America does this route.

It is funny because I had also always wanted to take one of these curises, but we found that the best part was seeing Quebec, and the time on the St. Lawrence, which we envisioned as being alive with fiery fall colors, was so wide that we could barely see the shore.

Stopping in Maine was fun, and Boston - but all in all I now think I would rather see those cities by car and maybe skip the cruise - UNLESS ITS A REALLY GOOD DEAL.

If you do go - do some research and try to time it for peak fall folliage. I think our cruise was a little too early (still lots of green out there) - but then again, that changes every year so you really never know.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:07 PM
Admiral

To really see New England you need to drive Through Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine in early fall. The other New England states get their color in late fall.
New England shines in the fall, but you can't see much of it from a cruiseship.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Remember the farther north you go, later in the season, you will see less foliage...I live around Boston, and we usually peak, by Oct 15th...You can use that as a guideline. Also, dress in layers.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Last year we sailed out of Quebec on the St Lawrence in late September and the leaves were not even starting to turn - much farther north than Maine even.

It was a disappointment - even the famous Canadian maples were still green - not red.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to KellyKayden

good points....I was too busy thinking about enjoying the fall beauty from the comfort of the ship I had not considered not being able to see much. Thank you all for the insight! Maybe a fall drive through N.E. on the way to a ship that heads south will be in my future. Best of both worlds!

"A painter paints pictures on a canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence"

Leopold Stokowski
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Default I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKayden View Post
So I would love to take a fall cruise in the new england area, but im finding most of my travel companions wont go with me unless the ship is heading south...lol. so if I am to research this on my own, does anyone have any suggestions on certain lines/ships/programs/best times/locations/etc?
We booked a Celebrity cruise in 2013 to New England and Canada .We've done this several times by car ,as well.