Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2000, 02:18 PM
Fish

Default Norway

Was on the Norway from Aug. 12-19. All of us were looking forward to a great trip. We have all cruised before. Our room on the Fjord deck was appalling! It smelled musty, was filthy and my kids sofa bed was broken! Tried to contact staff for two days. (always in meetings). Finally attempted to solve problems, no other rooms available, hotel manager nasty as can be! Threw up his hands and accused us of harrasing him! Noisy day in and day out. no follow through with anything. Total aviodance from staff. JUST AWFUL, we are heartsick over it. We enjoyed our trip only when we got off of this ship!
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2000, 09:16 PM
nick87

Default RE: Norway

Wow I did not know the Norway was getting that bad! Maybe with Star's new ownership they might fix up the ship.
Old August 31st, 2000, 10:42 PM
Fish

I hope so! They really do need a complete overhaul!
Old September 1st, 2000, 12:45 PM
First Mate

What cabin were you in?
Old September 1st, 2000, 12:58 PM
Fish

F019, and my parents room was on Sky Deck K062. My parents room was fine, seemed to be refurbished, was told that ALL rooms were ! Anything below the top two decks did seem to have been touched!
Old September 1st, 2000, 04:18 PM
Fish

I meant to say that the decks below the top 2 decks have NOT been touched
Old September 3rd, 2000, 04:03 PM
Tim Rubacky

The Norway is due for an extensive 35 day drydocking at Newport News but that wont come until November 2001. I fear it may be too little too late.

By that time she will be 6 months into her new 2/5 day roation. I cant imagine what she will look like by then. Perhaps NCL will take a few cabins at a time out of service to refurbish them.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old September 16th, 2000, 07:09 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon

I sailed on the Norway 3 years ago. IT WAS A TOTAL DISASTER. The toilet was broken for 2 days after which I moved to another cabin that had the same problem(overflow/ won't stop flushing). I finally tracked down the Hotel Mgr - he was worthless. The food was terrible & not enough staff onboard. The Bistro was a joke & took 45 minutes just to get first course(no it wasn't crowded or full). There was garbage stored out on deck next to the Outdoor restaurant(smelled horrible in the Carib heat). This wasn't cleaned up until we got back to Miami. The niteclub on Int'l deck had a musty smell from the time I boarded & never was cleaned up. The mens rest room were always dirty. NCL after much problems & working w/ American Express offered 50percent discount on a future cruise - I sent it back to them. First & last NCL cruise. Even with additional staff it is not a 2 to 1 ratio. The Norway was once a great ship - but like Premier Line it was run to the ground a long time ago. After over 25 cruises this was a first.
Old September 17th, 2000, 01:33 AM
First Mate

I've sailed on the Norway 15 times. But not since 1995. She is one of the last great Trans-Atlantic Liners still in operation. Sorry to hear that she won't be going out in style. The top 2 decks we're added late in her career. That is why the seem fresher than below decks. I've stayed in Cabin V-140. Charles De Gaulle used that cabin way back in the days. Please don't slam her too hard. Such a great history. Not like today's "disposable ships"(Carnival). I think I'll take one last cruise before they scrap her anyway.

PS. NCL has been in financial trouble for years, that is part of the reason for her disrepair.
Old September 17th, 2000, 10:17 AM
al cerrachio

Quite to the contrary, NCL has not been in financial trouble for the last few years and now that they are owned by Star Cruises they are on extremely sound financial footing. The problem with the Norway is just that. She is an old ship that would require vast sums of money to bring her back to her former glory, sums that most likely would be better spent on new tonnage. However, that doesn't mean she shouldn't be kept neat, clean and ship shape. She mostly was in that condition when I sailed her 3/98. That she is switching to 2 and 5 day cruises indicates that she is on her way out as she cannot compete effectively with the modern cruise ships.
Old November 18th, 2000, 12:38 PM
First Mate

The Norway has gone to pieces, I was onboard a few years back and I also hated it, it was way too old and not maintained. The plumbing was horrible the staff was rude and the overall condition of the ship stunk. Let me give you a piece of advice Royal Caribbean has the best and fleet of ships afloat, NCL is falling apart at its roots, it is my opinion we won't see this line operating very far in the furture!

Go Royal!

Steve....
10+ Cruiser