Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2000, 06:23 PM
boblick

Default 4 day majesty freestyle

We are scheduled to leave 11/20 for 4 night majesty cruise. Freestyle was introduced after we booked, so i am stuck with it for good or bad. My question is will I be an outcast in my great looking, brand new, black tux which I bought specifically to dress the nines aboard the ship ! What was the mix of those dress formal to informal. I know specific dining spots will be designated formal but I want to stay dressed all night and party throughout the boat!
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2000, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: 4 day majesty freestyle

My husband, mom and I were on the Majesty to Bermuda Sept 10-17, 2000....a few weeks after Freestyle was introduced. On the 1st formal night and for the Captain's cocktail party, there were few tuxedos, mostly dark suits...I was surprised how many people didn't even bother to dress up, opting for the informal buffet. As we enjoy getting dressed up, we were in formal attire for the cocktail party, dinner and the chocoholic buffet at midnite...we were in the minority. On the second formal night, which dress is now considered "resort elegant", my husband and the maitre'd were the only two men in the dining room in tuxedos!!
We have been on many cruises with NCL and were open minded about the Freestyle concept of dining, as to the choices of restaurants and the flexibility of seating.... although after the 1st night, we requested our same table for the remaining nights and it was reserved for us. We packed according to the informal/formal dress of prior cruises and it worked for us, but there were nights when others wore shorts in the dining room. I guess we just like the "traditional" style of cruising!!
The Majesty is a beautiful ship....wear that new tux and show them how it's done....and have a great time!!
Old October 28th, 2000, 05:36 PM
First Mate

I just returned from a 7-day cruise to Bermuda on the Majesty. You will be perfectly comfortable in your tux all night. We stayed in our formal dresses right up until the disco closed at 4:00 am. There are plenty of people who opted for the casual look, but there were plenty dressed to the nines also. Both of the main dining rooms are restricted to formal wear on the formal night. If you get a chance, go to the Royal Observatory for dinner one night. It is Italian and the food was fabulous. If you talk to the bartender (Lionel) tell him Sue and Tracy say hello. He was super.
Old October 28th, 2000, 07:29 PM
boblick

No ...no....no....shorts in the dining room!! I will feel very uncomfortable sitting down to dinner in a tux next to a guy in shorts and a flowers island shirt. Please explain the informal buffet....if you want to stay in shorts you can eat at a buffet? where is that out on the deck? What about the LeBistro? Is that a formal "get away" or is it also informal? Also let me state that I love shorts and a tee shirt as much as the next guy but I thought a cruise was a time and place to step out of your normal routine. Thanks for your information about the ship and freestyle cruising. Any other tips or suggestions?
Old October 28th, 2000, 07:36 PM
boblick

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! Thanks for your info. Please tell me how the eating situation is set up? You can eat at either dining hall, LeBistro, and other spots around the boat? How do you know where to go and when? Any trouble getting a seat? Do you sit with others? From reading the message boards it sounds like I should plan on eating at the Lebistro every night for the quality of food, is this true? Any info you can give me prior to my trip would be appreciated!
PS I will definately look up Lionel and say hello.....he wont have stories to tell about you and tracy will he??????
Old October 29th, 2000, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Well, there weren't supposed to be shorts in the dining room...but the rule just wasn't enforced.....maybe as the weeks go by things will settle down. Dress is considerd "resort casual" or "resort elegant" in the dining rooms---which means different things to different people. Dinner buffets are up in the Cafe Royale (same area as breakfast and lunch buffets) and dress was quite informal..there were people in their swimsuits eating by the pool. The Royal Observatory has a great pasta menu that changes every night, so if you see something you like, go for it, because it won't be repeated. Le Bistro has a more "gourmet" menu, the quality of food is better because it isn't prepared in mass quantities. Both dining rooms have the same menu...the Four Seasons is smaller and more intimate, the Seven Seas is the main dining room. We ate late (8:45-9:00) in the Four Seasons and our table was reserved, so I don't know when the peak times were...people we talked to had dinner alone and also requested to be seated at a large table with others and both their requests were honored. So when, where and who you choose to dine with is up to you.
When you board the ship, walk around and take a look at all the rooms and the menus (they'll be posted) and decide then...you can even have dinner in one place and dessert in another!
Above all...don't be pre-occupied with what others are doing or wearing! It's your cruise...do what makes you happy...and enjoy!!!
Old October 31st, 2000, 11:54 AM
First Mate

As Donna said, you can check the menus of each restaurant during the day and decide where to eat. You may be sat with someone else in the main dining rooms but Le Bistro and Observatory have smaller tables. It does not hurt to try to make a reservation with the Maitre'D at any of the restaurants. Lionel will only have good stories to tell - at least he better. Have a ball!
Old December 1st, 2000, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

So how was your cruise, did you tell Lionel that we said hello. Sue and I were just wondering how you liked the freestyle cruising.
Old December 1st, 2000, 10:03 PM
boblick

Tracy and Susan:
We did spend alot of time in the royal observatory doing Karoke but I never really got into conversation with the bartender. The first night we were there I honesty couldnt remember your names so I didn't do it ...sorry. We did have a blast and we really thank you for your advise. I did wear my tux and felt very comfortable as alot of other also were dressed nicely as well. The rest of the time I took advantage of the casual wear. It made packing alot easier! We also checked out all the menus ( we had the weekly menus for all resturants sent to our rooms the first day) and decided where and when to eat in advance. We also took your advise and had dessert in a diferent place than we had dinner one night and also had appetizers at the chinese buffet on night before eating in the main dining hall. I did post a review about the whole freestyle experience (under destinations...I think) but overall we had a great time with the freestlye and really reccommend it to others. Thanks again for your help...Isn't the internet great for something of this importance!!! hahha!