Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2000, 03:20 PM
Stacy B

Default Norwegian Sky - BORING

If you are looking for an exciting cruise look somewhere else this is not it. I am a first time cruiser and the 10-22-2000 cruise on the Sky makes me not want to ever cruise again. No entainment, misleading information, freestyle is a joke - it should state Business Casual - no jeans - must have a tie for the Captains dinner. Automatic tips - this is true - they add tips to every little thing - you want a coke it cost you $1.50 for the soda and 22 cents for a tip. You can decline the tip and they have to take it off but you will probably never get served again. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Good luck if you have already booked a Norwegian cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2000, 04:19 PM
Beginner

Default RE: Norwegian Sky - BORING

Are you serious?

I was on the Sky Oct.15 sailing to the Eastern Carribean and had a fabulous time.

No entertainment? Did you go to any of the shows? The Jean Ann Ryan company was fantastic! The other shows were quite good as well. there was always something to do during the day too, if you were inclined.

I didn't find the information misleading - call it 'resort casual' or 'business casual', but its the same thing. I found the people more dressed up for the captains dinner on this cruise than on a RCI cruise I took the week before.

As for the tipping, I think most lines will add a 15% tip to all bar drinks. They tell you this up front. Are you really worried about a quarter?

Just my 2 cents,
Jonathan
Old October 30th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Stacy B

I'm so serious - we went to 2 shows - less than exciting - the information giving to us prior to sailing and the information given to us once we boarded the ship varied. Most everyone we talked to was about excited over the boring cruise as we were. We all wanted real entertainment - something that lasted past 8pm and sound to it - shows are fine and dandy but when you want to dance and listen to music - this is not for you. If you want to sit in the hottubs until 11pm and drink make sure you have someone there that will go get the drinks for you or you have to get them yourself in another part of the ship. As far as the tipping, I don't mind the fact of tipping but let me decide who should get what and how much. My service was terrible!!! The only good service I received was from our room steward and we gave her a tip to herself. We had the $10 per day removed because we didn't feel as though anyone deserved anything - we ate in the Horizons one time and took forever to get someone to get us a drink. Rest of the time we ate on shore or room service and tipped them. Garden Cafe, the food was less than fair, when we wanted to eat at the Great Outdoor Cafe, it was closed.
So yes, I feel the cruise was very boring and will strongly recommend people I know that wants an exciting non-stop cruise to look elsewhere and not at this one.
This might be a cruise for you but not for someone that is 34 wants to dance until dawn.
Old October 30th, 2000, 07:50 PM
Passenger

Definitely sounds to me like you're an excellent candidate for a Carnival cruise. Drinks 24 hours a day in plastic neon glasses, wet T-shirt contests, beer belly contests, etc. Try Carnival next time. Sounds to me like you won't be disappointed and well entertained. Oh, they do add 15% tip to the cheap drinks in the plastic neon glasses, but, hey, you can't have everything.
Old October 30th, 2000, 09:03 PM
First Mate

Hi - Jonathan and Trish you are right on - Stacy Carnival is the only way to go for you - I agree with trish (did Carnival once and once was enough) Have enjoyed cruises on both NCL and RCCL and both had much to do. On RCCL to Alaska 2 year ago we never went to bed before 3-4 AM and never had a problem finding anything to do or service. On NCL last year we didn't stay up quite that late 1-2AM but never had a problem being entertained,
Old October 31st, 2000, 08:46 AM
rmisner

Yikes! Boy, did your travel agent misplace you. You did use a travel agent, right? And in regards to tipping, remember that tips are siginficant income for crew members and their families. Many crew members spend 6 months straight on board and send their income back to their families.
Old October 31st, 2000, 09:57 AM
Stacy B

Yes you are right this was not the cruise for me or anyone looking to have fun and dance and interact w/ other guest having fun. It wasn't happening on this ship unless you liked to gamble, play bingo or go to an art auction.
I had never been on a cruise and read reviews on several cruise lines and we chose this one for many reasons, balcony stateroom that was affordable, "freestyle cruising", the Norwegian reputation and all the good reviews. My comments are for those that are doing all the research I did before choosing a cruise so they don't make the same mistake I did and expect dancing and music until you just can't take it any longer like on other cruises.
This cruise is for the person who wants a very relaxing and quiet cruise - not to be bothered by music and can deal w/ poor service. I paid too much money to get so little and I won't make that mistake again.
Old November 9th, 2000, 01:41 PM
First Mate

Well Stacey, looks like you started something here.

Look, everyone, the fact is that no one has all the answers for what makes the best cruiseline, the best cruise nor even the best vacation (cruises vs. land based).

Stacey could well have used the services of a good cruise consultant (like myself) to better match herself to the line and the ship, but it sounds as if she did her research, made a solid decision, and still came up disappointed.

Maybe Carnival is for her...and that's not a bad thing. They have over 25% of the domestic market and a high level of repeaters, and there is a reason for that beyond price.

I have been on lots of cruises over the last few years and the one I took on Norwegian was my least favorite. I'm about to take my first "official" Carnival crusie and I expect that it will be better than that one. Maybe it won't be. I prefer laid back such as HAL or Celebrity but I can "hang" and party too.

Stacey, don't give up on this style of vacation. Send me an e-mail if you want to explore other possiblities. I hear you loud and clear, your expectations were not met...and they should have been. So lets find something that will next time.

Jeff (hobbsey@aol.com)
Old January 11th, 2001, 11:17 AM
LovetheSea

Stacy...I suggest to you , that you give up cruising all together. Obviously it's not for you. Tipping for drinks etc. is standard practice on cruise ships. The SKY had excellent entertainment compaired to the other 6 cruises I have been on. I hope you have better luck with a hotel or resort. Sorry you had a bad time