Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 10th, 2000, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Default Norway. Just Returned

Just returned from the Norway 12/2 sailing. It was a wonderful cruise on a great ship. The ship is kept in good shape, it is clean and always being maintained. The food, entertainment, crew and staff were tops. I have been on 12 cruises on many different lines and I have no complaints with the Norway. Any questions I will be happy to answer.
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Default RE: Norway. Just Returned

Like Steve, I have just finished the same cruise on the Norway. Although I can not entirely agree with his comments on the ship. The ship is certainly not "kept in good shape". Far from it, I realise this is an old ship which is well past her best, but surely the cleanliness of the cabins and certain areas on the ship could be kept up to a better standard than they are. Of the several cabins I viewed, they all badly needed a good clean. Our friends had to enquire at the pursers desk as they were not sure whether they had to hoover the carpets themselves. Our toilet area had been wiped over but certainly not "cleaned". On deck, many of the boxes containing lifejackets were in dire need of a clean & clearly had not seen a coat of paint for who knows how long! The blue matting on the upper decks were in horrendous condition. It was becoming unstuck, ripped all over the place & starting to gather folds everywhere, surely a hazard to not only the elderly but anyone who walked on deck!
Steve's comments on the food & staff were spot on, they were excellent. Also the entertainment (what there was of it) was indeed excellent. What we did find, being early seating and on the white card scheme for the shows, our first two nights shows were at 10.30pm with very little to do from 8.00pm until showtime. Many, many people missed these excellent shows simply because they were on far too late for them.
The Norway's scheme for tender tickets were laughable. It's announced they will be issued at a certain time, only to find out they started handing them out 30 minutes earlier. It transpires many people didn't even bother to get tickets, they just turned up & walked on.
One other gripe was the price they tried to charge for photographs on board. How they can get away with charging $25 for one photograph is beyond me!!!
Although we enjoyed our holiday, I wouldn't rush back to the Norway, again like Steve I have been on many cruises & several different cruise lines & the Norway must unfortunately rank as the worst.
Old December 21st, 2000, 04:16 PM
BillG

Can't comment on your other remarks about the Norway, but as far as the prices they charge for the photographs, onboard ship, the purchaser at least has the option to refuse to buy. Try that at some land-based studio. No one is forced to buy the pictures. If the passengers conclude that the prices are too high, and I agree that price plays a role when I decide whether or not to purchase one, and enough of them refuse to pay those prices, watch the prices go down on subsequent cruises.
Old December 27th, 2000, 04:57 PM
Inez Lee

I think the price you quoted for the 8X10 photo's is the industry standard. Just returned from the Celebrity Century and the prices were 10.00 for the 5X7 and 24.95 for the 8X10, it was the same on Carnivale last summer.
Old December 28th, 2000, 11:59 PM
patty fran

Returned from the cruise on the Norway on Dec 16. I found the food and the service excellent Our small cabin was cleaned promptly and well. Because of a cold I had room service twice, very quick and very good. I have the same complaint acbout early dinner and the !0;30 show. not much to do in the interm except drink and gamble. (maybe that's the point). I am an avid reader but the library (poorely stocked as it was) was open only about 4 hours a day. No comfortable chairs there either! On Renaissance Cruise lines the beautiful library is
open 24 hrs a day. We had no problems with the tender as we don't care to be the first ashore at the ports. We did not like the North Cape Lounge for entertainments such as comedians etc. Too crowded, poor sight lines. The Norway was the firsst cruise ship we've been on that sold drinks in the theater. Very poor selection of movies in the afternoon, in the theatre. Exercise programs were too advanced for those of us who are Sr. Citizens. No shuffleboard, no horse races. Basically the Norway was a good value and a good time.

w Neil wrote:
>
> Like Steve, I have just finished the same cruise on the
> Norway. Although I can not entirely agree with his comments on
> the ship. The ship is certainly not "kept in good shape". Far
> from it, I realise this is an old ship which is well past her
> best, but surely the cleanliness of the cabins and certain
> areas on the ship could be kept up to a better standard than
> they are. Of the several cabins I viewed, they all badly
> needed a good clean. Our friends had to enquire at the pursers
> desk as they were not sure whether they had to hoover the
> carpets themselves. Our toilet area had been wiped over but
> certainly not "cleaned". On deck, many of the boxes
> containing lifejackets were in dire need of a clean & clearly
> had not seen a coat of paint for who knows how long! The blue
> matting on the upper decks were in horrendous condition. It
> was becoming unstuck, ripped all over the place & starting to
> gather folds everywhere, surely a hazard to not only the
> elderly but anyone who walked on deck!
> Steve's comments on the food & staff were spot on, they were
> excellent. Also the entertainment (what there was of it) was
> indeed excellent. What we did find, being early seating and on
> the white card scheme for the shows, our first two nights shows
> were at 10.30pm with very little to do from 8.00pm until
> showtime. Many, many people missed these excellent shows
> simply because they were on far too late for them.
> The Norway's scheme for tender tickets were laughable. It's
> announced they will be issued at a certain time, only to find
> out they started handing them out 30 minutes earlier. It
> transpires many people didn't even bother to get tickets, they
> just turned up & walked on.
> One other gripe was the price they tried to charge for
> photographs on board. How they can get away with charging $25
> for one photograph is beyond me!!!
> Although we enjoyed our holiday, I wouldn't rush back to the
> Norway, again like Steve I have been on many cruises & several
> different cruise lines & the Norway must unfortunately rank as
> the worst.
Old January 29th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Norway. Just Returned

My sister and I are planning a cruise aboard the Norway in May. Any information
that you could provide would be helpful. For instance what size cabin do think would be sufficient for 2 adults. Basically tell me everything you can to give us some idea of what to expect.
Old February 11th, 2001, 11:46 PM
Steve M

Let me give you a piece of advice, the Norway is a floating dump. Its way too old, the value of your dollar is NOT well spent on this ship. For the same amount their are soo many better cruise experiences out there. Because the Norway is soooo old, their are alot of problems onboard that you wouldn't find on other ships. When I traveled onboard, the air conditioning didn't work on half the ship, some parts were twice at cold as others, while some were humid and hot. The food and service was ok, but nothing wonderful. The public bathrooms onboard were probably last cleaned in 1978, gross, nasty, and disgusting. Now, book with Royal Caribbean and have a wonderful cruise vacation. Go with either Voyager or Explorer, they are the world's largest cruise ships. With all sorts of firsts in the cruise industry, you'll love Royal. The ships has an ice skating rink with ice shows, rock climbing wall, nine hold mini golf, inline skating, ect. The ship also feature a Royal Promenade which spans most of the length of the ship. Looks like a street out of new york. Their are two 15 story attriums with four glass elevators in each. The norway has NONE of this, trust me and cruise with Royal, personally I feel NCL won't be around for much longer anyway, the line is not doing well financially.

Steve....
Old February 12th, 2001, 02:00 AM
a spark of truth

Steve:
You are quite obviously afflicted. If you want Las Vegas at sea then PLEASE go on RCCL or Carnival... that is obviously your level...
If you want a grand experience on a true ocean liner, then choose the Norway... sorry you were so badly affected. The Norway is a beauty and a dying breed. There is a place for glitzy ships out there, they are for the Wall-Mart set, so go have fun you back woods blithering idiot...
Save grand ships like the Norway for people who can actually appreciate it.
NCL will be fine, and cruising for people who enjoy cruising, will always be there. For people of your mentality, there is Carnival.
You are a pompous piss ant and deserve the mega ship, party till you puke mentality. Go have fun you little shithead.

Ciao ( do you know what that means??)
Old February 12th, 2001, 02:53 AM
intrepid

I think the Norway was great. Sorry you had such a lousy time.

Intrepid
Old February 12th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Steve M

Mr. "a spark of truth",

I happen to know what "ciao" means, I hold a MBA from the Harvard buisness school, heard of it? for wal-mart, I don't believe they carry tailored Armani suits. You are correct in stating the Norway is a dying breed, as "dying" is the key word. She does embody the old days of cruising, but NCL has not kept the ship up to par. Perhaps, if she had been maintained the ship may have been a good cruising experience. As I've been on 17 cruises on 8 different lines, I believe my experience through the years have allowed me to conclude when a dollar is and is not well spent on a cruise vacation. As for Carnival, the service and ships are in no comparision to Royal Caribbean, I'd probably perfer to sail on NCL over Carnival any day of the week. If one wants to experience the "grand class" of cruising try the QE2, which I thought was one of the best experiences I've had. The Norway lost her "grand class" the last time they cleaned the public rest rooms in 1978. As for me being a "piss ant", I don't recall the last "piss ant" I met who drove a $65,000 Mercedes.

Steve
Old February 12th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Mike E

Please never compare the cretins that sail on Carnival with the affluent individuals who cruise on Royal Caribbean. Only a person lacking formal education uses vulgarity and curses when writing literature. Your comments are thus ignored by those of which do not communicate on your low level. I can tell you a person of simple mind by your comments. Anyone with a grammar school diploma can decipher what "Ciao" means. Try something more original that involves more thought next time, like "tu buque es horrible".
I am quite appauled by your conduct. This discussion board is to inform individuals of other individuals crusing experience, not to bash other's comments and opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If your comments are not informative or helpful, please leave them to yourself.
Old February 15th, 2001, 07:50 PM
First Mate

I trust Intrepid will enjoy himself. We did not. We wanted to sail on the NORWAY for some time and before booking our cruise in January had booked the Royal Suite for the final crossing scheduled for this coming September. We cancelled it the day we got home.

We sailed from Miami on January 13th for a week in the Caribbean. It was, hands down, the worst cruise (of 4) we've been on. Embarkation was slow and disorganized. NCL had none of the information they request of you before boarding - we had both faxed it and mailed it. Lifeboat drill was similarly disorganized, and the lifevests themselves appeared dirty and worn, with frayed strings.

Our cabin, Norway-131, (A Grade, the largest non-suite category, 307 sq ft) was huge but well-worn, with leaky taps in the bathroom and a dirty shower curtain. It was quiet and the a/c worked, both useful features to help you avoid the noise and crowds outside the cabin.

Dinner (late-seating in the Windward Dining Room) ranged from OK to awful - food about on a par with the Olive Garden, TGI Fridays or the Old Country Buffet. Other meals, unless you insist on a table for two in the Windward, are served first-come, first-served with different tablemates at each meal. The not-so-Great Outdoor Restaurant was just plain awful. Room service will keep you from starving and takes a long time to arrive.

Entertainment varies, from lame to OK. Events that encourage drinking are legion. Bingo is $28 for three cards. Martinis are $8. The stage shows could be considered good only if you've never been to a professional theatre. They're inoffensive - there's not much else to do at night except drink or gamble. It's all about drinking and gambling: if you have a problem with either - everybody on land telling you to cool it - you'll love sailing on the NORWAY, because you can do whatever you like; courtesy, manners, simply being polite meant nothing.

And while the passenger list varies every single week, our sailing was overloaded with tacky drunks. I enjoyed the Wal-Mart comments but that was the look that predominated in mid-January on the NORWAY. I don't care what people said: Northwest didn't lose everyone's luggage. It was the worst dressed crowd I've ever seen on a liner. People came to dinner wearing the same clothes they went snorkeling in.

The crew tries hard to deal with the wear and tear but this is an old ship (and I like old ships, having sailed twice on the QE2 and once on the CARONIA, both of which are almost as old.) The difference is, Cunard has spent the money needed to keep them up, while NCL is milking the passengers of this once grand ship for every last dime while giving them little of value in return.

It was sunny and the seas were calm. St. Maarten still offers good deals and St. Thomas is, well, still St. Thomas. The "Private Island" looked like Coney Island.
The price was cheap: $784 pp cruise only. But so was the experience: our last RTW segment on the QE2 cost a bit more than $13,000 (cruise only) for 13 days, so more than four times as much per diem, but offered better value for money and memories (and new friends) that'll last a lifetime. The NORWAY offered an experience I'll try hard to forget.

I still want to go back to the Queen's Grill. I'll never go back to the NORWAY.
Old February 21st, 2001, 02:46 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Steve, we sailed the Norway on her inaugural cruise back in 1980. We are going again in May. Did you dine in Le Bistro? How was the service? Where the common areas well maintained? Is the Grand Old lady still "Grand"?
Old April 13th, 2001, 02:12 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

My Ford Truck cost more than that...must be one of the small Mercedes!