Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 22nd, 2001, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Default 3 women

I, & my 32 & 34 yr old daughters have always wanted to go to Alaska. One of my daughters is living in Tacoma until the fall, so we decided to go on the Sky out of Seattle in June, because we might not be that close again. Since I have been reading the various boards, I am worried that we will be very uncomfortable(crowded) on the Sky, even with a balcony. Also, will they be bored? Is their age group usually well represented on Alaska cruises? I would really hate to spend this much and be disappointed!!

& them not have a great vacation!
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2001, 06:34 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark
Default Re: 3 women

I guess it all depends on what your entertainment expectations are, but in my opinion, it would be pretty hard to be "bored" on this ship. There will be people of all age groups on the Sky in June and plenty to keep you busy. We sailed on the Norwegian Wind to Alaska (same itinerary...just left from Vancouver) last August and had a great time. Most of those in our group were in their early 40's. As for the cabin, you'll do just fine w/the 3 of you in a balcony room. Keep a couple of things in mind...First, you'll spend very little time in your room other than sleeping, so size really doesn't become a problem. Take soft-sided luggage that will fit easily under you bed & get travel-size containers of toothpaste, deodorant, hairspray, etc. You probably won't need to take a huge wardrobe of both warm weather & cool weather clothing. Take things you can "layer" so as to adjust to varying temps (I highly recommend some of the travel pants w/zip-off legs that convert to shorts). I wouldn't take a bulky coat, but rather a water proof type jacket or anarak that can be worn over a polar fleece vest or pull-over. You may also need water resistant pants of some sort. Remember, there will be tons of places to buy clothes & other needs all along the way. The second thing to keep in mind is to take the posts you read on thses boards with a grain of salt. Many of the "regulars" on the various boards appear to have no other life (especially on Cruise-critic & Cruise2.com), and several of them think it fashionable to bad-mouth NCL for some reason. The Sky is a great ship & you three will have a wonderful time. Happy sailing!!
Old April 23rd, 2001, 09:38 AM
First Mate

I feel better now. The posts about tiny rooms had me really worried.
The zip off pants are on sale now at Land's End. I think I'll order a pair.
Did you take the train at Skagway? Would we enjoy that nearly $300
worth? The excursions are very expensive, so we'll have to choose one or two.
Old April 23rd, 2001, 03:41 PM
First Mate

The cabins are small but the ship is beautiful. The problem you will encounter is lack of storage space. But please don't let that stop you. We just leave our underware in our suitcases and pull the bag out from under the bed when needed. It certainly does not stop us from going. In fact we are going on the 9/30 Vancouver to Hawaii cruise. You spend no time in the cabin too many other things to do. Have a great time. Don't forget layer is the word for Alaska. Cool in the morning and warmer in the afternoon and daylight almost 24 hours a day.
Old April 23rd, 2001, 03:54 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

Pat,

The train is one of the two excursions we did take (the other being the Salmon Bake in Juneau). I thought it well worth the $$, but don't remember it being that expensive??? It's very beautiful and really does bring home the level of hardship faced by the miners. We really enjoyed the Salmon bake, too. Food was good & there was a local musician palying folk songs. Otherwise, we pretty much struck out on our own and had lots of fun. If you can afford it at all, have a little fun. After all, how often do you cruise to Alaska?

Mark
Old April 23rd, 2001, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Once in a lifetime, in all probability, so we're going on the train and I can't wait!!
Old April 23rd, 2001, 08:05 PM
First Mate

We too took the train ride in Skagway and I recommend it immensely. We were unable to book it on our own, as the cruise ships take over the train, and on certain days individuals cannot book on their own. In Juneau we did book the Mendenhall Glacier River Rapid boat trip. We saved money booking on our own through a local tour guide. We got their name in a Fodors travel book. The ship offered the same outing for lots more $$$. If you enjoy whitewater rafting, its a fun trip. You'll love Alaska!
Old April 23rd, 2001, 08:40 PM
First Mate

Sounds good-what level of difficulty was the raft trip?