Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Passenger

Default Tips for the Norway? - June cruise date

We are booked on the Norway for the 7 day Western Caribbean in June. I am disappointed that from reading the boards it seems it won't be free style cruising. I really liked this idea because my husband and I have 3 boys - ages from 2 to 13 - and I have no idea when it will be convenient to have dinner. There's naps, activities, shore excursions ... I wouldn't know which to seating to choose ... Does anyone have any tips for me regarding the best way to handle this. My boys don't want to have dinner with the kids crew, they like eating with us - and I prefer that too. Most of the time!

Also, I'm a little concerned that it's going to be a real PAIN getting off the ship at the ports of call.
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Denny

Default Re: Tips for the Norway? - June cruise date

My wife and I have a 7 year old. We have found that for us, early seating is best. We also always have our child eat with us. We enjoy having dinner together, even on the formal nights. Of course YOU have the option of doing whatever you want. We also always have our daughter select off the adult menu, not the child's. The food on the adult menu is much better. We let her order whatever she wants or wants to try. You can also eat on the upper deck at just about anytime you want. I believe they offer buffet style for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the hours are streched out. As far as ports of call, we have never had any problems either getting on or off, on any cruise or any ship. Hope this helps. Denny
Old April 30th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Majj

We will also be on the Norway in June (10th). Our children are 12 & 13. We have opted for late seating because we don't like to be rushed, and we also don't eat that much earlier here at home. Which sailing will you be on in June?
Old April 30th, 2001, 03:49 PM
SoonerDog

Hi,

3 Boys can be a lot of fun on a ship and I speak from personal experience. Part of how things go will depend upon how well behaved they are (just being frank, here). If they are able to sit for an hour and remain reasonably quiet (especially the older 2), then having them dine with you should work well. If there is a "control problem", then you are likely just setting yourself and other passengers up for a lot of stress. This is definitely a decision that should be made by the parents, not the children. Should things not work smoothly, you can always opt for alternative dining. I have heard of parents using this situation to their advantage by making dining room priviledges a reward for good behavior. As for free-style dining or the lack thereof, breakfast & lunch will be open seating on port days anyway, and sometimes having the "structure" of assigned seating can actually be helpful. Dining times are fixed and not "open to discussion" which can eliminate potential disagreements. As for getting ashore, you'll likely do better by letting the crowds thin a little before attempting to board a tender and, likewise, heading back to the ship before the last minute crunch starts. Shore excursions won't normally interfere with your shipboard dining regardless of which seating you choose. Happy Sailing...I'm glad my kids are grown ()!!!
Old May 1st, 2001, 09:15 AM
Passenger

Hi Majj,

Thanks for your input. We are sailing June 24. Do you know what time the seatings are?

Thanks again! Hope you all have a blast!
Old May 1st, 2001, 09:19 AM
Passenger

Hi !

Thanks for your advice and tips!

The majority of days are port days so your info was a relief!

Thanks again...
Old May 1st, 2001, 09:21 AM
Passenger

Thanks Denny!

It's a great idea to let the kids order from the adult menu - often times the kid fare is all fried stuff..
Old May 1st, 2001, 11:27 AM
SoonerDog

Glad to have helped a little. I'm cruising with my 3 "boys" on May 20, but they've all outgrown me now, ranging in age from 19 to 25. Sometimes I miss the days when they were still kids, but hanging out with them now is great, too!

Happy Sailing,
Mark
Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:12 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

Thanks for asking the questions we've been wondering about. We are on the June 24th cruise also. This is our first cruise and we were wondering about the dining also. We have 2 girls 11 and 13. We want them to dine with us, but we're hoping they will enjoy the kids programs.
See you on June 24th.
Melanie
Old May 8th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Inez Lee

Just returned from the 4/29 sailing of the Norway. Breakfast is served at the Outdoor Rest from7:30 until around 10:30 lunch 11:00 until 3:00, dinner is only served on deck one night and I think it was Thursday. Dinner in the dining room is served in two seatings at 6:00pm and 8:30 or 8:45. We at at 6 in order to have a little space for the midnight buffets, which have been cut back quite a bit. Questions please email.
Old May 14th, 2001, 07:48 AM
THE leugers

We finally found another family on the 24th cruise. This is our 4th and our boys first. They are 7 and 8. Maybe we will meet you guys on the cruise. We have met the best people on cruises. We have choose early seating. It seems to work out the best for us. I want the boys to choose off the adult menu also. What are the ages of your boys. If you wish you can email us at our address, leug@aol.com. Have a great time.
The Leugers