Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2001, 10:37 PM
Edward

Default Norway Not allowed to leave Miami

Two thousand plus cruisers won't be leaving Miami right away. The Norway cannot leave Miami due to major problems with the sprinkler system on board. The problems are so bad the U.S. Coast Guard won't let the ship sail for the seven day cruise. The Norway is being sent to Asia after the summer for it's new life. What a shame N.C.L. let this ship fall apart. They know with the tough U.S. safety code the ship would cost to much to bring up to standard. Way to go N.C.L.
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2001, 12:03 AM
NJmatt

Default Re: Norway Not allowed to leave Miami

Maybe this was the intent to let the ship fall apart so that the old girl could meet some bad fate which befell the old liner the Queen Elizabeth. At least the Coast Guard nipped the problem in the bud before anything bad could happen. NCL had better watch that the Coast Guard does not get some court ordered injunction against the line from letting the ship leave US waters to avoid a catastrophe at sea with a big loss of life. If it were I and I was on the ship,I would demand to be let off and not sail on the ship of the damned.
Old May 28th, 2001, 03:21 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon

It was only a matter of time for this to happen. Do you think this treatment/ upkeep only applies to that one particular NCL ship???????

I lved the FRANCE - a sad day indeed
Old May 28th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Cruising Crazy

It was not major problem that kept the Norway out of it was patches in the sprinkler syatem that were not leaking and were currently holding that the US Coast Guard wanted NCL to change out. NCL's Ships are passing safty inspections with flying colors and CDC inspections as well. Here is the Article for your reading.

Cruise Ship Detained in Miami
The Associated Press, Sun 27 May 2001

MIAMI (AP) The U.S. Coast Guard on Sunday ordered a ship carrying 2,000 passengers and crew to remain in port because of problems with a sprinkler system.

The Norwegian Cruise Line ship, which was scheduled to leave the Port of Miami for a seven-day Caribbean cruise, cannot sail until its sprinkler system is repaired, said Petty Officer Scott Carr.

``We're looking at a systematic failure of a major safety system,'' Carr said.

He said the ship, named the Norway, had repaired holes in the system with about 100 ``soft patches.''

``Yes, it's holding and it's not leaking, but if they have a fire and one of the soft patches breaks, then they lose the entire sprinkler system,'' Carr said.

Passengers were free to leave the ship, but many decided to wait onboard to see if the repairs would be finished soon. They were offered full refunds and 25 percent discounts on their next trip, the cruise line said.

``We're accommodating all the passengers onboard. We've extended a shipboard credit to all of them,'' said Andy Stuart, spokesman for Norwegian Cruise Line. ``We've also opened all the bars so everything's absolutely complimentary.''

The cruise line said it would take the passengers on a tour of Miami attractions Monday if the ship had not departed.

The Norway was scheduled to sail to Grand Cayman; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and the cruise line's private island Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas.

Copyright 2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
Old May 29th, 2001, 10:10 AM
BillG

A sprinkler system with over 100 "soft" patches doesn't sound minor to me. If you read the Coast Guard statement, if just one patch let go, the entire system would fail. Seems that when a system develops 100 spots that need to be repaired and the maintenance done is not a permanent one, you have evidence of poor or deferred maintenance. Since Star is supposed to have deep pockets, it is unconscionable that they would resort to this practice. Thank God for the Coast Guard otherwise we might be reading far more dramatic and tragic accounts about the Norway. Admittedly the Norway is an old ship and perhaps more prone to mechanical and other problems, but in light of Star's treatment of the sprinkler problem on Norway, how concerned should we be about the upkeep of even their newer vessels?
Old May 29th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cruising Crazy are you serious? If there is a fire at sea and the sprinklers do not work then that is a major problem.
Old May 29th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Cruising Crazy

The Initial reports blinded me people. I am big supporter of NCL and Star and have seen the many improvements that Star cruises has done for NCL. In fact the 3 new ships coming show the dedication to NCL. To your point I do believe that the age of the Norway and its moving to the Star Fllet later this year was the determining factor of why not wait until drydock to fix those fixes instead of now. Not the most prudent choice and they were "burned" for it. At least the passengers on board wee treated correctly and fairly. 100 Refund and Free Cruise, as well as on board credit and open bar until 5/30/01.
Old May 29th, 2001, 08:56 PM
First Mate

Star Cruises has made NCL cash flush. The Problems with the NORWAY are not an indication of any "corporate evil." The new ships were not launched in order to let them deteriorate!

The Norway uses more fuel in one day than new NCl vessels use in
one week. Her turbines are sealed in her hull and cannot be retrofitted to today's technology so she is moving to a more lucrative market. The Asian market is extraordinarily keen on gambling and that will be the fate of the Norway.
The sprinkler system is NOT original to the Norway since it was not even "invented" when her keel was laid. The Coast Guard did their job, the Norway will sail again this coming Sunday. We just got off the Norway from her latest Western Caribbean itinerary and she was spectacular!
Yes it was a problem, but it is a problem solved. To those of you that love today's container ships with windows, pity, you will never know what true joy of sailing on a great ship.
Old May 29th, 2001, 11:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

Here, Here Texasmunk. I had a great time on her also.
Old May 29th, 2001, 11:43 PM
First Mate

I must disagree with Tex. I've sailed about 12 times on four different lines and found the Norway to be out of shape. The ship was not maintained to the standard that other lines keep their ships. Out of all 12 of my cruises, the Norways was definetly the worst, with A/C working in some parts of the ship and not others and the public bathrooms being extremely dirty. I'm sure she was a nice ship in her day, but for the money NCL is asking to sail on her, I'd rather Voyager or Explorer of the Seas from RCI any day of the week.

Steve...
Old May 30th, 2001, 01:51 AM
NJmatt

Regardless of where the old girl operates the Norway cannot be a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. No matter what waters the ship operates whether its here or in Asia a loss of life cannot and will not be tolerated. The world saw what happened when a ship more modern than the Norway caught fire,namely the Carnival Ecstacy. At least the Ecstacy's captain had the foresight to keep the fire from spreading and harming its precious cargo...people which is life. I say if the old girl is in very bad shape maybe its time for her to go to the breakers,she maybe worth more as scrap than to be steel blast furnace that snuffs out lives.

The Norway has seen better days and the ship has long seen her Prime.
Old May 30th, 2001, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Are you crazy - a free drink in exchange for the possibility of burning to death!!
NCL & the other cruise lines better get their act together.

If you recall the NORWAY had a couple of fires when it first sailed in the 80's(Iknow because Iwas booked on one of the cancelled cruises).

The Sky's recent troubles - the lines are pushimng these ships out faster than they can make sure they are ok.

Get over getting a free cruise & think of peoples safety(especially the children).
Old May 30th, 2001, 09:16 AM
First Mate

good point - too bad NCL didn't keep her up. She is a true oceanliner. She wasn't built for the cruise market & it would be nice to know she went out in a dignified way.

Too bad that now the Transatlantic run is picking up she can't be restored to the FRANCE & resume her intended service.

But how can that be - no buffets, rock climbing walls, no casual dress - just a beautiful ship of state with beautiful public rooms, gourmet food & the sea to keep a passenger amused! I must be dreaming.
Old May 30th, 2001, 10:49 AM
BillG

I'm sure you are correct about their reasoning, but their reason for deferring maintenance on such an essential safety element stinks and makes you wonder what shortcuts they will take on other ships in their fleet when similar situations arise.Star Cruises didn't cover themselves in glory in this instance. They may have made the best of a bad situation in the manner in which they treated the unfortunate passengers who were booked on this week's cruise, but they created the situation by their attempt to "patch" a faulty system. If they reflect on it the passengers may not feel that Star's efforts were adequate in relation to the potentially perilous situation that the line place them in.
Old May 30th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Passenger

I am concerned - I am due to travel on this ship in July - 15th.
Somebody advice. I am a first time Cruiser - going with the whole family - a wife, two daughters and an 8 month boy.
For the experience Cruisers - how easy is it to switch to a much newer ship?
Somebody talk to me please. Should I go or cancel?

Concern Sunny
Old May 30th, 2001, 12:13 PM
First Mate

Ok,Ok..your point is well made. You missed mine. Star is not squeezing a nickel. The repairs were passed repeatedly. Only now did the CG decide a major fix was required. You are so right about the need for safety. But I do have to ask one question, your concerns for the children..do those concerns go away when a child reaches 12? or is it 14? or maybe 17.5? Politically correct thought fits well on CNN, it is not necessary on a message board....ALL life, the 91 year one man or the newborn baby, is precious!
Old May 30th, 2001, 01:15 PM
BillG

I don't think I missed your point. The fact that the repairs were passed (or were they just not inspected carefully?)during previous inspections, doesn't prove that they were adequate or not the result of Star trying to get by "on the cheap". As to your reference to children, I think you must be referring to someone else's post.
Old May 30th, 2001, 02:58 PM
NJmatt

It is certainly fitting that this thing with the Norway was caught,but as we all know by human nature that it is only a matter of time before something like this does become a reality where there will be a large loss of life because of someone putting the almighty dollar ahead of the most precious thing in this world and that is the gift of LIFE. This was tragedy that was avoided....for NOW,but God only knows in his most infinite Wisdom and Power that it is going to happen.

I hope I am wrong...and now off my Soapbox.
Old May 30th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Edward

Let us not forget what happened on board the Ecstacy off the coast of Miami a few years ago. Here was an eight year old ship with it's rear end in a inferno, and on national T.V. The ship was just off the coast of Miami and it took help from fireboats to put the blaze out.
Old May 30th, 2001, 10:19 PM
NJmatt

You are so right Ed,and at least they had a Captain with sense enough to turn the ship into the wind so that the wind kept the fire at bay but thats only for a short period of time because had the winds changed there would have been mayhem on the Ecstacy to say the least.

It seems ironic that Star was going to take the ship to Europe,and for what reason you ask yourself,so that the ship could meet its ultimate demise and they could then collect the insurance money on a ship that sooner or later would meet its fate,it sounds too coincidental but at least someone from the Coast Guard had the hindsight to make sure the ship did not sail at all for fear of a potential disaster.
Old May 30th, 2001, 11:42 PM
First Mate

Dear Mr. Monk -

You shouldn't be so pompous - I believe all life is precious(I do hav a soft spot in my heart for children I admit) & under the possible circumstances - think of the kids on that ship should it catch fire - adults - young & old have some thought process in self preservation but for a child seperated from a parent or guardian its another matter all told.

So what if I was not being"pc" as you said , I believe in common sense & the safety of all that put their lives in the hands of another.

And tell me why any corporation should not be responsible for its product/ vessel & instead rely on a government agency to correct its faults that endanger lives. Perhaps the former Soviet Union could reply to that question - or should I post on their message boards
You can't convince me that NCL or Star cruises didn't know of this situation before hand. You are kidding yourself if you think the sprinkler was originally put in properly - why do you think the ship is being sent to Asia? It will cost too much to bring it up to SOLAS standards HERE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
Otherwise the NORWAY would sail for as long as they can keep her afloat - anyway & anywhere. All NCL & Star are concerned with are passenger revenues, public relations & winning lawsuits brought against them

Sounds as if you would of been one of the ones to do away with the lifeboats on the Titanic because men said it was unsinkable!
Old May 31st, 2001, 05:19 PM
Warren

Sunny,

I wouldn't worry. Once the repairs are made to the Coast Guard's satisfaction, the ship is undergoing her annual full Coast Guard safety inspection of all mechanical and electronic system. The crew will be observed during a drill, including lowering the lifeboats. When Norway sails after Coast Guard approval, she'll probably be the safest ship afloat.

To the guy who brought up Norwegian Sky's recent problem - the problem was software bug for a navigation system purchased from a third party. This same system is used by other lines on other ships. It literally could have happened to any ship. Sky was the unfortunately first. You can bet ships all over the oceans are quietly receiving bug fixes from the vendor.

I'm booked on Norway's final crossing. I am looking forward to it, have no qualms about it, and have no intention of cancelling.

I personally haven't lost sight of the fact the every major cruiseline has had ships crippled at sea due to one malfunction, fire, mishap or another within the last 1-3 years.

That's what inpsections are for. To discover problems that a
cruiseline must fix. NCL and Norway aren't the first, nor will they be the last, to have a ship flunk a safety inpsection.

Warren
Old May 31st, 2001, 05:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave

How many more cruise lines are having difficulties with safety? I am very disappointed that Norwegian Cruise Lines allowed any passengers to board knowing that the sprinkler systems would not pass inspection and put the passengers lives at risk.

Are we suppose to be grateful for those without our best interest just because we got a free cruise out of the deal?

I was not familiar with NCL's past events until yesterday such as polluting waters with oil and wastes, smoke stack emissions and the like. If I was a gambling guy, I would not be surprise that they may be bankrupt soon. Our little Miami adventure cost them 1.5 Million.

Nevertheless, Now that we are all home, all of us, regardless of our viewpoints on this event, needs to stay in touch with each other so that we can be certain that NCL does not back out of their promise for our refund and a free cruise. I am sure that some will be experiencing difficulties with all of this.
Old May 31st, 2001, 06:31 PM
Cruising Crazy

Star Cruises is Majority (35.9%) owned by one of the largest companies in the world in The Genting Corporation, a Malaysian Gaming, Resorts, Oil & Gas, Paper, Farming etc. Company. Star Cruises will not let NCL go Bankrupt. This Sprinkler System was install in 1998 by previous owners of the Corp. and was not discovered until recently and was one of the reasons the Ship was going into drydock in Sept. By the way there has Many Cruise Lines that have had series of problem with the ships close to together that have not been scrutinized as much as NCL's Recent problems. RCI had Groundings, Oil & Waste Release and Delays in deliveries all in one year. Carnival has had Fire on SHips Engine failures and propulsion problems, so to say NCL is the only cruise with these problems is unfair. NCL has made strides recently with 2 ships scoring 100 on the CDC exams recently and introducing a dual pilot system on all ships. I have been on over 45 Cruises and have found NCL's ever evolving Product the best.
Old May 31st, 2001, 07:41 PM
First Mate

This shouldn't be happening - its not like they didn't have toothe picks at a bar - a major safety feature wasn't in proper shape & all onboard were in danger.

You can spin the whole NCL thingany way you like but regardless, there is a big problem with these lines operating ships registered in foreign ports. its all about economics & the lines won't give one cent to safety as long as they can get away with it!

It's called Business.
Old June 1st, 2001, 10:44 AM
BillG

"That's what inpsections are for. To discover problems that a
cruiseline must fix."
In this situation, however, NCL was already aware of the problem. Unfortunately they chose to try to "fix" the problem with "soft patches" which is unacceptable and causes us to wonder where Star Cruises priorities lie: safety or cost. In the case of the Norway, cost appears to have been the primary consideration and not passenger and crew safety.
Old July 6th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Bobby

Hmmmm. I think I would take the free cruise and drinks. Sounds like a deal to me. Free cruise, free drinks, and adventure. Who could ask for more?
Old July 14th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Nothing is free, who wants to sail on a bucket as bad as that and put their lives in jeapordy? I can hear it now, "yeah, the poor guy died in that fire, but hey, he got the cruise for free."
Old August 27th, 2001, 09:00 PM
First Mate

It has been 3 months and we are one of the people still fighting with the crusie line trying to re-book our cruise. Mnagament has been awful! I strongly recommned never booking and NCL cruise.