Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Default Cruising w/Pre-Teens

My wife and I are taking the kids on the Norway with a sailing date of June 24th. My daughters (ages 12 & 10) are nervous that there will not be little for them to do. Could someone who has cruised with kids of this age or who's cruising on the 24th, please reply to this message with some words of encouragement that I could pass along? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2001, 11:36 PM
First Mate
Default Re: Cruising w/Pre-Teens

Your girls willll have a good time -- provided they join in t he activities--
I had to force my daughter to attend the first night program (on another line)-- but this was t he case with my other cruises and kids as well--
They seemed to have this idea that all the kids on the ship had their best friends cruising with t hem,
THe 12 year old will p robably think t he kids program is too juvenile for her, but there will be other 12 year olds with exactly the same idea. The idea is for them to meet up-- and then once they make friends with other kids-- they can decide what to do , usually after dinnertime. THe 10 year old will p robably really enjoy the group planned a ctivities-- scavenger hunts, talent shows, e tc.
When my son was 12 he thought that the Norway was the best for m eeting other kids-- compared to other ships we have been on-- There is a promenade deck, which reminds me of going to a mall and seeing kids walking around.
If y our girls are shy, you may have to do some encouraging for them to meet other kids-- remind t hem everyone is in the same s ituation-- they are being "forced" to go on vacation with mom and dad- and all the kids there would prefer t o hang out together rather than with their parents all day. THe key is to do it on t he first night -- and next day-- there will be lots of kids sailing in the summer. My girls (12 a nd 14) are really shy-- and after 1 or 2 cruises wher e they shyed away f rom the programs -- they have realized they have to "bite the bullet" and talk to other kids. Now they love cruising!

I have actually seen a girl who looks a little lost or talked to parents to t ry to h ook the kids up together. It embarrassed them, but sometimes you have to do it that way!!

Good luck and have a great cruise! The Norway was our 2nd cruise and we still have great memories!!
Old June 15th, 2001, 12:35 AM

Last year I took my then 12 year old daughter on the Norwegian Majesty. Since we were travelling in late September she was afraid there wouldn't be anything for her to do and no other kids would be on board. From the moment the Kids Program started until the end of the cruise, I had to force my daughter to have dinner with us - she wanted to be with her friends! There were about 2 dozen kids on this particular cruise and the program was really well structured. My daughter had so much fun last year that we are going again this fall. Enjoy your cruise!
Old June 15th, 2001, 12:26 PM

Thanks Everyone for your replies. This really relieves some of the pressure of planning a family vacation.
Old June 20th, 2001, 08:00 PM

We are going on the Norway on June 24th also. We are 2 families with a total of 6 kids ages 9 thru 16. This will be a first cruise for all the kids. If you go to www.cruisecritic.com and go to the message board there are some messages from other families traveling on this cruise too.

cruise, cruises, cruising, encouragement, families, june, meet, pre, preteens, teenagers, teens, w, wear, words