Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default SKY/ALASKA ANY GOOD NEWS?

We are planning to go on the sky next May. Any tips would be appreciated. We are considering a balcony. We thought it would be nice to view the scenery without having to jockey for position on deck . Any advise or experiences to share appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2001, 12:01 AM
First Mate

Default Re: SKY/ALASKA ANY GOOD NEWS?

I've never been on a cruise before, but I will be soon. I have therefore been reading books on "cruising". One very experianced cruiser/author I've read much of convincingly eschews those balconies you consider. He points out that having your own balcony excludes you from sharing that view with the many wonderfull others. Perhaps if you are there on your honymoon. Or if you like to share those views alone, which is an oxymoron. To just have those views without sharing them, is more deeply pointless. If you're on your honymoon....or if you smoke cigarrettes! <g>
Old July 18th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Rich & Kathy

We had a balcony cabin on the Sky to Alaska this past May. The balcony was wonderful. This was our first time on NCL and with Freestyle, it was our best cruise. Second time for a balcony and now we cannot sail without one. Next March we'll be on our balcony on the NCL Star to Hawaii. There were plenty of opportunities to join in with others when somebody sighted a whale or other wildlife -- either in a lounge, restaurant, or out on deck. The only thing lacking on this cruise to Alaska was an indoor or covered pool.
Old July 18th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm certainly not antisocial in any way & do feel that you actually would have a much better view from the deck especially up top instead of being restricted from one side but there are times i just like to sit alone wuth a cup of tea but really dont like to do that in my usual inside cabin...especially when I hear that the cabins on the SKY are claustraphobic. I thought that perhaps keeping the drapes open would also give the room a more open feeling not having to concern myself with lookers in as on a promenade like the atrium rooms on the new RCL ships.
Old July 18th, 2001, 06:55 PM
First Mate

I agree with Rich & Kathy. We just came back from sailing on the NCL Wind to Alaska with a balcony cabin (our first balcony) and will never be able to turn back now. It was fabulous to be able to step outside in the morning with a fresh cup of coffee. And one morning we were rewarded with a humpback whale about 20 feet off our balcony. Go for it and enjoy. Freestyle dining was the best in Alaska. We loved it.
Old July 19th, 2001, 09:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't think the WIND had balcony cabins. Now that both of you are raving about the balconies I have to go for it. We were concerned about the weather in Alaska in May. I've been to Alaska in July & the weather was great but I hear it's sort of touch & go & it rains less in May & the prices are cheaper making that balcony even more "necessary". How was the food & entertainment it sounds like you really enjoyed the freestyle concept.
Old July 21st, 2001, 10:21 AM
First Mate

You can find my review of the Wind under the NCL message boards at www.cruisecritic.com
Old July 21st, 2001, 01:30 PM
Jodi & Steve

We just got back from the Sky in Alaska and we loved it. We got upgraded to a balcony (don't know why and we won't question it) and that's the only way we will cruise from now on. The scenery is so magnificent and viewing it from your own balcony is an experience you can't imagine and don't want to miss. There were seals lying on ice that had broken off the glacier and they were right next to us. The freestyle dining is a great idea. No more regiments to follow. Try to eat in Horizons and Le Bistro, the premiere restaurants. Well worth the $10 per person surcharge. This was our 8th cruise, 1st on NCL and the entertainment was the best we had ever seen on any. We will definitely sail with NCL again. It was great!