Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Norwegian Dream cruises next June

Hi, I was booked on two Med cruises on the Sun next June,but NCL has decided to pull the Sun from the area because of the recent tragedies in New York and DC. I had hoped to go to Europe next summer and I have started looking at the itineraries for the Dream. It does a Baltic capitals cruise and a Norway (the country, not the ship) cruise in June. I would sincerely appreciate any comments on either of these tours. Also, if anybody has gone on the Norway (country) cruise, I was wondering if there were hiking trails within walking distance of the ports. I am not particularly cosmopolitan and I would appreciate any info on these itineraries. Thanks. Laura
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2001, 10:06 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Norwegian Dream cruises next June

The Dream itin is good but the ship is not that great. The Mercury does a very similar sailing and so does the Regal Princess..We were booked on the Dream for next June and have instead switched to the Mercury. No comparsion between Dream and Mercury.(just got off Celebrity 2 weeks ago)...Best of luck...don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
Old September 25th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply. I posted this question on another board too and got similar reactions-- good itinerary, but so-so(at best) ship. I am having to twist my husband's arm to even consider a cruise at all, so the ship needs to be good enough to wow him! I will definitely check out the Princess and Celebrity equivalents. Thanks again-- Laura
Old September 25th, 2001, 05:07 PM
John Boy

Go with Celebrity or Princess, both lines are far superior to NCL for not too much more in expense.
Old September 26th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Beerman

Cruising on either of the cruiselines have their benefits and downfalls. Just gotta try.
I prefer NCL myself. The quality is the same for MUCH cheaper.
Old October 4th, 2001, 01:57 AM
Paul Michel

If you can manage it, take the Holy Land or Black Sea cruise itineraries (Istanbul to Rome) across the Mediterranean. My wife and I did this in October of '99 and it was much more fascinating than the Baltic Capitals which we did in September of this year. The weather is usually better for the Med cruise too. We were on the Dream both times so I can't comment about other lines, but I will say that the Med cruise was so busy with excursions that you didn't spend that much time on the ship. (Our thoughts on freestyle cruising are posted elsewhere.) Personally, the only two cities from the Baltic Capitals cruise that were comparably interesting to the Med cruise were London and St. Petersburg.
Old October 5th, 2001, 02:16 AM
jayzee99

Hi Laura:
I did the Baltic Capitals/Scandenavia cruise on the Dream this summer. It was very good ship and a great itenerary. The only problem we had was the freestyle dining in that the buffets were very good but there was not enough seating. You had to get there 1/2 hour before it started to have a table. HOWEVER- we were told that the Dream was going into drydock in April, 2002 and the eating areas were being enlarged to accommodate more tables. This should fix the problem. The food was very good in the diningrooms, the entertainment was excellent and the ship's staff were very good. We had a deluxe OS cabin on promenade deck (7238) and it was an excellent location. Wait until you can get a good price (we paid $1169 per person). We booked on travelocity and their prices were cheaper than anyone else including NCL website. We booked our August cruise in the beginning of April. I think it was an exceptional value for the price. Also, one of the best days was the trip up the Kiel Canal in Germany. The Dream was built for this canal and has a funnel (smokestack) that folds down to allow it to pass under the bridges. It's the ONLY large cruise ship that can go through the canal. Go to the ballet in St. Petersburg and book through the ship. They get the best seats. We were in the second row center. It was my first ballet and it was wonderful.

Have a great trip! If you need anymore info, Email me.

Steve
Old October 5th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Beerman

Thx Steve.
Where are you from?
I am from Canada and get excellent prices so not to worry. The only reason I cruise so much is because of the deals.
Old October 5th, 2001, 04:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

It does sound as if you can get better prices if you wait. Of course, if you plan on using frequent flyer miles, waiting presents problems. It sounds like an interesting cruise-- although I had hoped for Mediterranean but don't feel confident going there. I had no idea that the Dream was the only ship that could traverse the canal. That alone gives the ship an edge. I was wondering what the weather is like in mid June? If its not warm, an outside cabin is important. For the Med, I felt that we'd be out of the cabin enough that we could save quite a bit of money by getting an inside one. Thanks again, Laura
Old October 5th, 2001, 07:22 PM
jayzee99

Laura: The weather in June would probably be in the 60's and low 70's- beautiful for this cruise. The evening temps would bee cool (the upper 40's and low 50's) whic would require a jacket or sweater. Not bad weather.
As far as prices for inside vs outside, we booked an outside deluxe on Promenade deck for $1169. The inside cabin would have cost $1139. Don't know why such a close price. I guess they had fewer inside available than outside cabins. (By the way, Promenade deck has NO inside cabins so there are much fewer inside cabins on the ship than outside.

It's doubtfull that the cruise will sell out 3 months before the trip so I would book free air and plan on doing the cruise. Worse comes to worse, you may not have the exact choice of cabins but you will certainly get a cabin.

Good luck!!

SteveLaura wrote:
>
> It does sound as if you can get better prices if you wait.
> Of course, if you plan on using frequent flyer miles, waiting
> presents problems. It sounds like an interesting cruise--
> although I had hoped for Mediterranean but don't feel
> confident going there. I had no idea that the Dream was the
> only ship that could traverse the canal. That alone gives
> the ship an edge. I was wondering what the weather is like
> in mid June? If its not warm, an outside cabin is
> important. For the Med, I felt that we'd be out of the cabin
> enough that we could save quite a bit of money by getting an
> inside one. Thanks again, Laura
Old October 6th, 2001, 02:02 AM
hjdn