Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Norwegian Star and Fanning Island

Good Day:

As, NCL will be sending the NCL Star to Hawaii to operate seven day cruises I was told that as NCL is a US cruise line they must visit a port outside of Hawaii. Is Fanning Island, Republic of Kiribati the closest US port from Hawaii.

If so why are people being harsh towards NCL for having so many sea days and not spending that time in Hawaii.

Can you Help Me? Love to hear what you have to say...

Happy Cruising,
Leslie
lls@ibl.bm
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Cruising Crazy

Default Re: Norwegian Star and Fanning Island

You are right and wrong NCL is a no-US Cruise Line and must travel to a Non-US port to make all voyages legal. It is peolpe that loves the other older line are complaining about the 2 1/2 Sea days. Fanning Island is the closest port of Call.
Old October 1st, 2001, 09:50 AM
BillG

Some people are complaining because the Star's Hawaii cruises spend too much time not in Hawaii. They may realize that the addition of Fanning Island to the itinerary is not something NCL wants to do, but they object to NCL trying to make the Fanning Island stop appear more attractive than it is.
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Fanning Island stop may be a necessity, and it could be attractive. The thing is that no one knows yet, because the Star has yet to sail. I am booked on the 1/13/02 cruise, and I could care less that it stops at Fanning. I am just excited to go on a nice, new ship.
Old October 1st, 2001, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Norwegian as a non US line, must begin, end or otherwise stop at a non US port. Most of the the lines (not including American Hawaiin and United States lines) that are non US either start or end their Hawaiin cruises in Ensenada Mexico, Vancouver, or Tahiti. Virtually all these are 10 to 14 day cruises.
Belive it or not Fanning Island is the closest non US port
to Hawaii. Most other places are 4 days One Way sailing.
Norwegian has been going to Fanning for several years , but usually in the middle of an 11 day cruise.
To see a nice discussion on Fanning Island and what is and is not there go to the Destinations section of this message board and click on South Pacific and Hawaii.Look under "What's at Fanning
Island". If what you are looking for is a Hawaiin Island intensive cruise, this new Norwegian 7 day may not be what you want. You will get a lot more "Hawaii" on Patriot or Independence or an extended (11-14 day)on another ship.
Old November 1st, 2001, 12:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just finished the cruise to Hawaii on the Sky and we spent an unbelievable a total of 4 days at sea while travelling to Fanning Island. I could have used those days sightseeing on the islands but it is a requirement for any non-US cruise line to visit a non-US port. Check the other cruise lines, they always stop or start at a non-US port. Fanning Island in late October is quite warm and very humid especially being only 225 miles from the equator. The Star will cut the time to Fanning Island in half, only 2 days at sea.